• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stuck axle

Avenger

Local time
4:31 AM
Reaction score
I have an 8 3/4 rear end in my coronet. the bearing started making lots of noise..so i was gonna change it...well the axle wont come out...its the passenger side..all 5 bolts out and still it wont budge...the drivers side i undid just to see if it would come out and to regrease..it pulled out like butter..the passenger side however will not move..even with a 5lb slide it wont budge... i have no idea what to do.. :(

I usually turn the brake drum around and use it as a slide hammer/puller.

I get that..but a 5lb slide hammer isnt taking it out..whats a drum going to do different?

Ya if a slide hummer won't do it......
Can you turn the adjuster nut? Might have to put some heat to the housing.

Adjuster nut? i have the other side out..all 5 nuts are off the axle..it came out a bit and hung up..i tried heating it close the the backing plate with my torch with no results.

What type carrier is it? If it's an open carrier, Remove the spider pinion shaft and get a long bar and stick in driver's side slide it all the way against the end of the passenger axle and pound the snot out of it with a BFH. Works everytime. It'll work with a sure grip too, you just have to remove a few more things.

Its open carrier..its a diff..the wheels go opposite if you move one... if i shine a light down the tube where i got the drivers side one out..i can see the end of the other axle...so that may work... gotta find a pipe..BFH isnt a problem though..like all the troubles in life..when in doubt get a bigger hammer... :D

That's not always the answer, but it certainly has its place. Let us know if it works. A length of 1/2 water pipe will do it. Don't forget gloves and safety glasses.

I know im just kidding :p haha..it was kinda frustrating to have the drivers side come out so easy..but it allows me to do more stuff to the other side....so its good :happy7: i think we have some left over copper pipe in the basement..ill have to check...if not ill go to the hardware store and buy some..its worth it to me haha

Feel free to try it, but I believe you'll copper too soft. I think it will collapse.

I think youre right..i didnt see any down there anyhow... ill probably just buy a length....i have a steel one thats 1" thats too big..i use it for a leverage bar

How do you remove the spider pinion shaft? :D..you cant pound it before that right?

I get that..but a 5lb slide hammer isnt taking it out..whats a drum going to do different?
I had a stuck axle in a Ford truck rear. Made my own slide hammer with a 10 lb weight. I was real proud of it, except it didn't do the job. I went back and welded handles on a 70 lb. block of steel and drilled the hole for the slide. That big chunk loosened the axle in two pulls. :)

-=Photon440=-

the question is where is the axle stuck.if the bearing seized or spun on the axle end then pound away and see what happens.if some thing broke bad inside the carrier and seized it there you could have a problem.try loosening up the third member and see if you can jiggle it around a bit.does the axle turn fairly free,or is it seized?

The axle turns...if i loosen the third member..how much stuff will come out? also how heavy is it so when i do get the axle out i can replace the gasket... i figure you may need a jack?

I have an 8 3/4 rear end in my coronet. the bearing started making lots of noise..so i was gonna change it...well the axle wont come out...its the passenger side..all 5 bolts out and still it wont budge...the drivers side i undid just to see if it would come out and to regrease..it pulled out like butter..the passenger side however will not move..even with a 5lb slide it wont budge... i have no idea what to do.. :(

I used to removed stubborn 10 ton dump truck axles with a sledge hammer being careful not to hit the wheel studs. In my book I'd put a short piece of 2x4 dead center of the axle and hit with a sledge hammer or short muscle hammer with more than 5 lbs. of force and it should pop right out. You might have to really hit hard the center of the axle with the 2x4 over it to protect the studs. Remember center, protect surrounding areas and force should take care of that stubborn axle. Probably been in there since it was built in the factory.

The axle turns...if i loosen the third member..how much stuff will come out? also how heavy is it so when i do get the axle out i can replace the gasket... i figure you may need a jack?
the third member will not come out with the axle in place.just leve all the nuts that hold the third member in place really loose and it cant come out.

I feel like Glum "it'll never work" but I do believe you have a conundrum. You can't push the axle from the other side with out taking the spider pin out, and the pin won't come out by taking the carrier out. The carrier won't come out with the axle still in. Also , sorry Roadbird, but your trick only works with floating axles on trucks, this is different, all that will happen is the axle will drive all the way back in. What you need is a bigger slide hammer (kind of like needing a bigger regular hammer). My slide hammer at least 10 lbs. and sometimes still not enough! Try and find one to borrow, just keep in mind you may do damage to what ever is causing the sticking. For that matter, the damage is most likely already done. When you do get i t apart, inspect everything carefully.

Good luck

The studs were holding it up somehow..pounded em out..and it came out :)

Auto Transport Service
Back