• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sulfurized Ester and Motor Oil Choice

Wow, what a read that 540rat stuff is!
Interestingly (and unless I'm reading it wrong), the current highest ranked oil on his list that a)actually has a zinc number over 1200 and b)is suitable for a street, daily driven engine is the Joe Gibbs stuff.
Good to see some independent confirmation of what my own research found.

Amsoil Signature Synthetic. 10-40. High Zinc. Amsoil and Mobil 1 are the only true synthetics. ALL others start with Dino. Amsoil has an additive to massage seals. 0-30 Amsoil in the modern Hemis.
There are others. If by your term "true synthetics" you mean type IV and type V ester and pag oils that don't come from petroleum base stocks, Amsoil and Mobil don't have a lock. For instance: made from natural gas.
0007161100802_500X500.jpg

The problem in North America is that Type III (petroleum based) oils are allowed to be called 'synthetic' if they're modified enough. Not so in Europe though, where any oil labelled 'synthetic' must be type IV or V and not use petroleum base stocks. Just do an image search for such European oils, for example "Germany + Synthetic Oil" and see how many brands pop up.

That being said, I still use Amsoil myself.

Just an FYI to help fellow members out, NAPA has Amsoil full synthetic 10-30/ 10-40 or 20-50 full synthetic for $10 a quart. (9.99)
There is Z Rod and high zinc formula.

Auto Transport Service
Back