• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swap meet 383

c_callen

Local time
8:21 PM
Reaction score
I'm heading to the swap meet this weekend and want to look for a 383 to start a new build. I know how to id 383s from 440s but I've heard here are different bosses for engine mounts?

Also looking for another 727 if anyone has any tips in that department.

Oh and it's for my '64 Polara that currently is running a 383/727 combo.

If you have the original 383 and 727 in it, bear in mind the later (post '65 IIRC) cranks have a larger convertor hub and a different spline count on the input shaft so you might want to look for a later engine and transmission. They are not really expensive either way but you should factor it in. I think there's an adaptor ring for it - I know there are for slant sixes. You can get a custom convertor with the early splines and later hub too - just costs.
All 383s are similar. If you see one with the lower boss missing on the drivers side then buy it. It's an A body only version. Otherwise most 383s before '71 are forged crank. Some 71 2bbls were cast. You can tell by the balancer.

well the side bosses for the engine bracket are same 361 thru 440 wedges , but there are two bosses on the front of the block 383 and 413 , 426 wedges for 65 c bodies driver side mount bracket , and a body 67-69 . but not all of them have them drilled n tapped for use . and no on the id of a cast crank on the b block . and on the cast crank 383's . do a simple stroker with a rb crank . makes a 426 from the 383 . not a bad deal for a cheap stroker .

Here's a pic of the mounting for left side. I have this block for sale $200 if you don't find one at the swap meet.

Good luck.
Tom

IMG_0021.JPG IMG_0022.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back