• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swapping to BB?

Deaken

Local time
3:34 PM
Reaction score
I picked up an 360 to put in my 70 sport satellite (originally a 318 car) and took the unassembled motor to a machine shop to check everything. One of the cylinders has a little rust that they have said doesn't look promising to hone out. So I'll probably have to bore it (it's already .30 over). I don't currently have any exhaust or any components for the build so I'm basically gonna have to buy everything to make it run so IF I was gonna do a BB swap now is the time.

I guess my question is would the cost of building a 383/440 be substantially more money over the 360? Thanks in advance

Build a 360 and save the dreff of finding all those parts that will no longer work.
Just a few
Transmission
Radaitor
Motor mounts
And the list goes on.

I’ve never built a small block but I imagine it’s a bit cheaper, buttt the fun factor of a big block probaly outweighs the cost. 440 is more desirable if you ever decide to sell the car. What type of build are you looking at doing stock, or stroker?

I’ve never built a small block but I imagine it’s a bit cheaper, buttt the fun factor of a big block probaly outweighs the cost. 440 is more desirable if you ever decide to sell the car. What type of build are you looking at doing stock, or stroker?
440 being more desirable? Maybe and maybe not

Currently I'd like to get the car running and driving. I've had it for 15ish years but live has happened and kept if from being finished. But I've never been one to leave well enough alone so I'm sure it would get some better parts in it down the road. As for the radiator and mounts I currently don't have them for the SB so it's a nonissue as I'll have to buy all that as well. So the initial investment would be finding a decent motor to build.

Just build the 360, it’ll save ya money by not having to get another trans, radiator, hoses, carb, kick down linkage....you get the idea.

Sure it's a stupid question.... But what's the difference in the 727 for a BB and SB?

The bell housing is bigger on a big block.

Small blocks are for A bodies ( ok in E bodies). The factory didn't even offer THE performance small block (340) in a B body until 71. All the muscle B bodies up to that point were big blocks and hemis. The cars are kind of heavy for a small engine. A mild 440 will usually put a whoopin' on a mild 340 or 360. The only real benefit I can see for a small engine in a B body is better fuel economy. The prices to rebuild a 360 or a 440 are about the same. The big block has certain design features that I prefer, such as the distributor in front and no water in intake. Resale will almost certainly be better with a big block.

The only real benefit I can see for a small engine in a B body is better fuel economy.
The 120 or so pounds that you save with the small block would also be beneficial if you decide on improving the car's handling too.

Unless you use aluminum heads, intake, water pump and housing along with headers....then your close to a fully iron small block.

If you really want a big block car you maybe ahead in the long run to sell what you have and buy an original big block car.
I would leave it small block and enjoy it.

And still not making power until higher rpm’s.

Auto Transport Service
Back