• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tether car

ZR9B

Local time
6:36 PM
Reaction score
Anyone here play with tether cars? I have had a few of the cox and testers tether cars when I was a kid, the other day I had an itch .....so I bought an old wen mac indy car from the 60s its an .049...Im just wondering if anyone still plays with these?
wen mac.jpg

Tether cars are a little older than me. However I remember seeing a video on youtube about the fastest tether car it was doing like 200 mph. I will see if I can find it. When I got into RC cars they had the Grasshopper and Frog stuff. A few years ago I had a Traxxis Nitro Rustler I would run up and down the street.

I can also remember these vomit inducing creations.

Last edited:
I never saw the cars before - they were pretty wild! I did the u-control airplanes and rockets when I was a kid. I couldn’t afford to buy a full kit plane, so I built one out of an old orange crate (my dad advised me that they did that as kids). I built the plane and bought a bare 049 Cox engine. Had many years of fun with that plane and some balsa rubber band planes that I adapted the 049 to. They flew the best because they were so light, but crashes were nearly always fatal.

Dam you are pretty good at that control line plane! I remember my brother got one for his birthday and dad crashed it first lap. I found out dads sense of humor was not that good!!

...When I got into RC cars they had the Grasshopper and Frog stuff.

I had a Grasshopper too. Put a bigger motor and ball bearings. That thing would fly! Stepped up to the Associated RC10 and bought a RC12 for asphalt.

I had a Grasshopper too. Put a bigger motor and ball bearings. That thing would fly! Stepped up to the Associated RC10 and bought a RC12 for asphalt.
In the late 80's we had these too. Once my kids got old enough we bought a couple new Traxxas models. If you think the old ones boogied, get a new one and add brushless motor and 3S LiPo.

We had a Blackfoot and a Big Brute the the RC10 later on.

I saw a Storage Wars episode where they found a tether car. They took it to a guy who had a track. First time I saw one running. Man you wouldn't want to get caught in the tether line standing at the pole!

I had a Cox tether plane when I was a kid. About the time I got the hang of it, the screws in the firewall, holding the engine, got hot enough to pull through and it crashed.

Man....was a lot better with RC cars than planes and knew better to even try control line planes!

Still have some control line planes in my garage.

My son and I are building a control line plane and hope to have it done and flown before the snow flies.

I think i had a control line p-51 might have been a p-40 Whichever it was. I was like 8 and couldnt get it to take off ended up grinding the prop down to nothing.. :( Think i need a mid life do over.

I started on those .049 plastic planes then to .049 balsa planes. Control lines caught on anything. They were tough to get off the ground. Once jump to .35 engine it was easy. Iwas no expert but fun. Had a Fokker D7 profile plane, do a three tight loops it would start to fall out of the air. If it had a 3 foot streamer on the back it would've cut it off.

In the late 80's we had these too. Once my kids got old enough we bought a couple new Traxxas models. If you think the old ones boogied, get a new one and add brushless motor and 3S LiPo.

We had a Blackfoot and a Big Brute the the RC10 later on.
Heeeck yeah! We had a 1/2 acre lot behind ours growing up a built some sweet tracks there. Me and a friend had built RC10s and my little bro and his buddies had blackfoots...fun stuff.
A good friend of mine now is into the R/C helicopters(big boys toys!).. watching them fly those crazy things is awesome..

plane1.jpg
plane2.jpg
carb parts needed and neutral saftey switch 091.JPG
carb parts needed and neutral saftey switch 077.JPG
Had these 50 years. Sold a couple long ago. Had Hydroplane Miss Thriftway II it was 2 or 3 feet long .35 OS Max powered and R/C on it. The first picture is a P-51 42" wing span second picture is group of unfinished planes. A couple of old engines I sold if I can find photos.

Auto Transport Service
Back