• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TF-2 in a early 727?

icetech

Local time
3:33 AM
Reaction score
Just wanted to verify this before ordering stuffs.. Transgo lists the tf-2 for all alum 727's but i see web pages selling it like Cope saying 66+ only... can anyone verify that the TF2 works fine in pushbuttons?

65 and back is a very different valve body. I dont know for certain, but kinda doubt it will work.

65 and back is a very different valve body. I dont know for certain, but kinda doubt it will work.
Well pewp... transgo needs to fix their web page.. will call them monday and see what they say..

I have a tf2 in a 1965 727. I don't like it.
shifts too hard? I had one in my last challenger and it was awesome.. but i was also 25 at the time

P.S. i'm turning my car into everything i didn't want it to be :(

shifts too hard? I had one in my last challenger and it was awesome.. but i was also 25 at the time

P.S. i'm turning my car into everything i didn't want it to be :(
Too harsh. A lot of 2-3 overlap. Won't upshift at WOT unless the throttle pressure is backed off a bunch. Totally unnecessary for something to drive.

Ok, color me wrong lol. It fits the trans back to 1960 as long as aluminum case (torqueflite).
However, its not that elaborate of a kit and most importantly, different instructions for different years. You will not gain full functionality of the kit with early trans. Go on their website and read the documentation.

Have the kit in my '69 727, firm shifts although on mine the 2-3 shift can be kinda harsh.
If you give it decent throttle to speed up it is fine, but if you slowly speeding up (like in traffic) it tends to go harsh on the 2-3 shift.

But first things first, remove the valve body and split it, take pictures of both halves and the divider plate that sits between and send it to Transgo with your email.
They can identify the year/model of valve body you have and tell you it will work or not, don't assume the valve body is from the same year as the trans.
I found that after installing the TF-2 kit my valve body is actually a '65 (late) model, with a B&M shift kit installed (incl. B&M spacer plate) and me installing the TF-2 kit messed it up completely.
After contacting them i had received outstanding support from one of their techs (Robert) whom guided me trough everything to check and adjust and got it to work well again.
He knows his stuff and has been a great help to me, just need to ask them.

Also note that, as some issues other describe (incl. mine) is this is purely due to the fact there has been messed with the valve body already before, like other shift kits installed in the past, adjustments not set up properly, etc.
Shifting too early or too late is simply due to the fact people change the rear axle gear ratio and keep the same governor valve and springs installed. The governor is matched to the rear axle ratio and, if a different rear axle ratio is used, will give to high or too low pressures at the intended speeds it supposed to shift, hence altering the shift points.
The TF-2 will work as intended IF the valve body is fully stock.

as for my car the valve body, governor hadn't been messed with previously. the only thing that made a noticeable difference was backing the throttle pressure adjustment way off. i do have the low speed 2-3 torqueflite clunk. i think the real issue for me is the heavy throttle pressure spring that came in the kit.

as for my car the valve body, governor hadn't been messed with previously. the only thing that made a noticeable difference was backing the throttle pressure adjustment way off. i do have the low speed 2-3 torqueflite clunk. i think the real issue for me is the heavy throttle pressure spring that came in the kit.
I can't speak for your situation as i don't know, if you know the full history of the car (maybe from in the family or so) you could know something more.
But for the most of us have no confirmation on what has been done by previous owners, since so many were raced or pumped up as a hot streeter many valve body's are modified or swapped from other year transmissions.
IMO first thing to confirm is the actual manufacturer year of the valve body and confirm you have a original separator plate installed.

Regarding throttle pressure, there should be a 40 psi increase in Line pressure from "idle" till WOT position.
I.e. if you have 90 psi at idle (raised idle, 1200 rpm, in D with brake applied) you would see around 130 psi if you separetly function the throttle linkage all the way back. If this is less it is not adjusted properly.
As per Transgo, to smoothen the 2-3 shift you can reduce the port diameter on the port "C" on the separator plate, this will reduce oil flow and smoothen out the 2-3 shift.
Below is what i followed by using a small steel ball and reduced the hole size a little bit.

1693153914474.png

K, just talked to transgo and the TF2 kit works in all 727s from 62 on... the instructions have steps to skip on the pushbuttons.

Updating this in case someone searches it one day.

K, just talked to transgo and the TF2 kit works in all 727s from 62 on... the instructions have steps to skip on the pushbuttons.

Updating this in case someone searches it one day.
Like i mentioned previously, just check your valve body halves and separator plate are from the correct year.
It could be the push button version has only 1 model and you cannot mix it you should be ok, but just in case.
They have part numbers on them you could double check, i've seen a list online before but can't remember where i've seen it.

Auto Transport Service
Back