• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Elephant In The Room: unloading the load from a B-body.

Finally decided to pull out the old Jensens that have been in there since this car was my daily driver. I never worried about them since they were over the axle, but I have a roll bar going in and figured it was time.
View attachment 1586694
Does the front of the car have a speaker under the dash? Those can be heavy as well.
6 Lbs from over the rear differential that can find placement further back, especially on a short rear deck car. Is the cage material mild steel or Chromoly?

I think the front speaker is still in.
My dash is a train wreck so it is on my to do list.
Cage will be chromoly

I think the front speaker is still in.
My dash is a train wreck so it is on my to do list.
Cage will be chromoly
You're in good hands with the cage. That stick car is going to like the stiffness.
As far as that front ear piece under the dash, it has got to GO! They're heavy in some cases. Imagine if we could somehow make magnets work in our favor with traction. Magnet activated slapper bars.

You're in good hands with the cage. That stick car is going to like the stiffness.
As far as that front ear piece under the dash, it has got to GO! They're heavy in some cases. Imagine if we could somehow make magnets work in our favor with traction. Magnet activated slapper bars.
Haha since Akron is the home of soap box derby I remember them catching a kid with some sort of electro magnetic device.

My replacement hip is made of cobalt and has a ceramic ball joint. Both materials are denser/heavier than bone by about 4.5x.

I could probably stand to lay off the cheeseburgers though as I am at 200lbs for the first time in my life. I don’t know how it happened either, just finally caught up with me I guess.

Exercise is the obvious answer but unfortunately I’m allergic to it.
I've gotton up to 200lbs in the offseason as well. Been on the stationary bike 1 hr a dy. 15 miles and 550 calories or so the gauge says.
Doug

IIRC, a truck 60 weighs more than a passenger car 60. I'm sure that 9 will be a sigh of relief for the car. It will reward you with a 10th spot.
The 60 in my car measures out to be a 68-69 B-body and it has the snubber mount. It was in a 68 Camaro when I traded my old 9 even up for it. We were pitted next to each other and we both had 4.56 gears so that next weekend we made the swap.
I've gotton up to 200lbs in the offseason as well. Been on the stationary bike 1 hr a dy. 15 miles and 550 calories or so the gauge says.
Doug
I was up to 214 then my diabetes got worse and the doctor prescribed Ozempic and now I'm down to 171. That drug drops your sugar and appetite.

The 60 in my car measures out to be a 68-69 B-body and it has the snubber mount. It was in a 68 Camaro when I traded my old 9 even up for it. We were pitted next to each other and we both had 4.56 gears so that next weekend we made the swap.

I was up to 214 then my diabetes got worse and the doctor prescribed Ozempic and now I'm down to 171. That drug drops your sugar and appetite.
We will all feel better with a little less to carry around. Swapping differentials, clutches and converters in the pits dictate for smaller frames and less energy used.

Speaking of weight, here’s some front rim and tire weights.

Hoosier 28” tall, 15 X 3.5” Weld Draglite
IMG_0283.jpeg

ET Front. 29” tall 15 X 3.5 Weld Draglite
IMG_0287.jpeg

Rim weights. Lbs / Ounces Super Tricks & DragLites are both 15 X 3.5” The 29” ET Front 1Lb heavier than the 28” Hoosier.
IMG_0285.jpeg

And yes FMJ, that’s with air! 35Lbs :)

Last edited:
Speaking of weight, here’s some front rim and tire weights.

Hoosier 28” tall, 15 X 3.5” Weld Draglite
View attachment 1589119

ET Front. 29” tall 15 X 3.5 Weld Draglite
View attachment 1589121

Rim weights. Lbs / Ounces Super Tricks are 15 X 3.5” The 29” ET Front 1Lb heavier than the 28” Hoosier.
View attachment 1589120

And yes FMJ, that’s with air! 35Lbs :)
Air? that's too heavy. Try some helium.LOL. Maybe compressed gas might be lightest. LOL.
One pound of rotating weight equals a few more of dead static weight. Love those super tricks. Wish those bolts could be changed to titanium.

My stock upper control arms (new OE replacement) come in at 5 pounds each, with ball joint and bushings.
Does anyone have weights for the tubular upper control arms? I haven't been able to get anything definitive and I don't want to get a set if they are heavier than stock.

My stock upper control arms (new OE replacement) come in at 5 pounds each, with ball joint and bushings.
Does anyone have weights for the tubular upper control arms? I haven't been able to get anything definitive and I don't want to get a set if they are heavier than stock.
I have the weights since I replaced my OE upper arms way back when Magnum Force came out with their then new tubular arms. I would have to go dig into my log to let you know the numbers, but it wasn't much.
IIRC, it was one pound lighter per side by going tubular with that particular brand of arms.

I know that I'll receive a flogging for not weighing theses parts. The Duster fan is mounted with .060" 1/2" aluminum angle with nylon spacers. The shroud is .030" aluminum sheet. All mounted on a 2 core (1" tube) aluminum rad.
Doug

20240115_163900.jpg

20240115_192837.jpg

20240116_161241.jpg

I have a 16 inch electric fan on my car. It weighed 4.03 pounds out of the box. I trimmed a lot of the plastic from the 'cage' and swapped the heavier 120 watt motor for a lighter 80 watt motor. The fan now comes in at 2.7 pounds.

IMG_0450w.jpg

I have a 16 inch electric fan on my car. It weighed 4.03 pounds out of the box. I trimmed a lot of the plastic from the 'cage' and swapped the heavier 120 watt motor for a lighter 80 watt motor. The fan now comes in at 2.7 pounds.

View attachment 1593884
Did you trim off air foils or fins in the intake cage? If so, wouldn't those cuts affect the way the fan receives air intake and output?
Not criticizing, just curious.
Looking at the front facade of your radiator support, years ago I was trying to plan an aluminum duplicate, but off course could not think of a way to reattach it to the steel body. Titanium the same problem.

I just trimmed some of the 'bars' from the fan housing (cage) You can see how much if you compare my fan to DVW's. I can't really say if it improves airflow by not having all the bars in place, but it doesn't seem to hurt it. Cutting the bars off saved a little over 4 ounces. Most of the weight savings came from swapping in the lower watt motor.

I just trimmed some of the 'bars' from the fan housing (cage) You can see how much if you compare my fan to DVW's. I can't really say if it improves airflow by not having all the bars in place, but it doesn't seem to hurt it. Cutting the bars off saved a little over 4 ounces. Most of the weight savings came from swapping in the lower watt motor.
Gotcha.

Auto Transport Service
Back