• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Elephant In The Room: unloading the load from a B-body.

Certain appetizers like the 62, sure. The main menu, not even close!
Pardon. What I meant was that some B cars under their own respective dietary programs have surprisingly reached or breached the bottom floors of A body weights.
Yes, you're right, the '62's are inherently light right at first flight, but most B's that go under the knife are within the A body ballpark carrying the advantages of rear overhang but not the shorter wheelbases.
In my own opinion, the A body is a perfect starters kit for performance such as the Duster/Demon with the Dart's slightly behind it. They have less fat, shorter wheelbases and a decent overhang for grip on the strip. The B's have to work hard in order to earn their feathers with the birds.

440source aluminum oil pan weighs just 4 lbs ..

quality is far better than what it was. all bolt holes line up with the block and is not warped. they advertise it fitting 1966 and up but the sump sits back over 7 inches from front of pan/block so it will fit the early B's also. 7 inches deep.

8 qt capacity , pic shows what 8 qts of water in it looks like. i will be extending the splash plates by 1 inch though using 1/8 aluminum also and just bolting them to those existing..

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1491.JPG

quality is far better than what it was. all bolt holes line up with the block and is not warped. they advertise it fitting 1966 and up but the sump sits back over 7 inches from front of pan/block so it will fit the early B's also. 7 inches deep.

8 qt capacity , pic shows what 8 qts of water in it looks like. i will be extending the splash plates by 1 inch though using 1/8 aluminum also and just bolting them to those existing..

View attachment 1594561

View attachment 1594562
This is one area I was going to address on my own car, but decided to wait till I have a competent supplier to make a pan to my specs.
My pan, which is a simple steel deep sump Moroso is half moon notched on the back end of the sump bowl to make way for the center link because the engine is set back in the chassis. I'm probably going to go with Steff's, but this 440 source one looks great.

This is one area I was going to address on my own car, but decided to wait till I have a competent supplier to make a pan to my specs.
My pan, which is a simple steel deep sump

View attachment 1594561

View attachment 1594562

Moroso is half moon notched on the back end of the sump bowl to make way for the center link because the engine is set back in the chassis. I'm probably going to go with Steff's, but this 440 source one looks great.

S3 you’re gonna have to be careful not to crunch that pan like a beer can. Sure does look like a nice pan though.

More weight coming off!
The old Right Stuff Disc Brakes are history. Rotors, brackets, calipers 52Lbs.
IMG_4345.jpeg

Waiting waiting. Green Brgs removed
IMG_4344.jpeg

New Strange Brake Kit is on the way. 23.7 Lbs
IMG_4356.jpeg

Rear brake upgrade takes off another 28lbs. I never thought that there was another 100Lbs for the taking in the old girl.

The new weight, less driver will be 3150 / 3340 with 6 gallons of fuel. Anything over that and it’ll be coming out of the drivers seat!

Last edited:
More weight coming off!
The old Right Stuff Disc Brakes are history. Rotors, brackets, calipers 52Lbs.
View attachment 1595868

Waiting waiting. Green Brgs removed
View attachment 1595881

New Strange Brake Kit is on the way. 23.7 Lbs
View attachment 1595870

Rear brake upgrade takes off another 28lbs. I never thought that there was another 100Lbs for the taking in the old girl.

The new weight, less driver will be 3150 / 3340 with 6 gallons of fuel. Anything over that and it’ll be coming out of the drivers seat!
dang thats some nice weight loss there . Not too friendly for street use though . I have those liteweight Caddy/Chev rear discs same as yours. Stop decent , weigh a fair whack probably same as drums . Have wondered about using Dr Diff rear disc which uses the Mustang brakes , reckon have to be lighter than Caddy stuff . And still good for street .

Tex

S3 you’re gonna have to be careful not to crunch that pan like a beer can. Sure does look like a nice pan though.
yeah gotta be careful, but just like the 9" deep milodon pan that came with the car as long as 1's careful Knowing it hangs down all good....

dang thats some nice weight loss there . Not too friendly for street use though . I have those liteweight Caddy/Chev rear discs same as yours. Stop decent , weigh a fair whack probably same as drums . Have wondered about using Dr Diff rear disc which uses the Mustang brakes , reckon have to be lighter than Caddy stuff . And still good for street .

Tex
I don’t know the weight of drum brakes but I think they’d be lighter than the Right Stuff Kit that came off.
Conisdered Wilwood also but chose for a few less lbs and went with Strange. Got Wilwoods all the way around on the Dart. They work great with the 15/16” MC that Dr. Diff sells.

yeah gotta be careful, but just like the 9" deep milodon pan that came with the car as long as 1's careful Knowing it hangs down all good....

One thing about those Milodon pans, they take a pretty good shot!
IMG_3879.jpeg

Haven’t smacked the track since installing a good old pair of hockey pucks for LCA bump stops.

pictures...seems its never done. lol.
IMG_0320.jpeg

Less motor, lots of space. Cannot hear or feel them make contact and the oil pan stays off the track too.

3/8” Allen head bolt through the centre. Counter sunk into the puck.

Auto Transport Service
Back