• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The good, the bad and the help.

Peter V.

Local time
10:51 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys, Good news first. I got the 1966 coronet i told you guys about to turn on today I even drove it around the block and it did everything it turned , it brakes, it accelerated it changed gears I even let it idle for a bit to see if it over heated and it stayed cool. Now with the bad news after i did all that I tried turning it off and it wouldn't turn off, I tried turning it off by using the key and it did not work. I disconnected both ends of the battery and it still kept going, it finely turned off when I disconnected the ignition coil from the distributor (which might not have been the best idea I know,I know). Now lastly with the help. I really need you guys to shoot me as many things that could cause it to stay on even after turning the key to off position and disconnecting the ignition coil. and I mean everything that you guys can think of.

Did someone wire the alternator output into the ignition power wiring?, or a short between the two circuits?

It's name isn't Christine is it??:eek:

Narrow it down by testing the ignition switch, then bulkhead connector, ammeter,etc,etc. Look for some altered wiring also, ie- a jumper wire to make it run??? Seen it before
Lots of members in Texas maybe someone close??

Start by downloading the shop manual for your car. They are available on this site I think. I dont have a link to it off hand but just do a search for FSM. You can find the entire thing for your car. Second It sounds like maybe a faulty starter relay. Its a small box on the firewall. Should look like this.
$_3.jpg

And should be wired like this.

mopar_starter_relay_BAL_zpseba4010c.jpg

Did someone wire the alternator output into the ignition power wiring?, or a short between the two circuits?
I wouldn't know what to tell you I replaced the alternator but I wired it exactly as it was before I put the new one in.

Start by downloading the shop manual for your car. They are available on this site I think. I dont have a link to it off hand but just do a search for FSM. You can find the entire thing for your car. Second It sounds like maybe a faulty starter relay. Its a small box on the firewall. Should look like this.
View attachment 436478

And should be wired like this.

View attachment 436479
I will look for the starter relay and I'll replace it once I find it. thank you

It's name isn't Christine is it??:eek:

Narrow it down by testing the ignition switch, then bulkhead connector, ammeter,etc,etc. Look for some altered wiring also, ie- a jumper wire to make it run??? Seen it before
Lots of members in Texas maybe someone close??
I don't know if it has a name I have not named it yet lololol... I'll do that also the previous owner sold it to me and the way he turned it on was by using a jumper cable so maybe it is the wiring.

Forgot to say Welcome young'un.
You've got to be pretty internet savvy, so download a wiring diagram, and start tracing wires to the starter relay. Very good place to start. The ignition terminal should not be hot w/key off.
What type of ignition system?
Stock points?
Engine bay pics will help

Here are some pictures of the engine bay and the wiring from the inside of cabin
20170617_185722.jpg
20170617_185726.jpg
20170617_185731.jpg
20170617_185752.jpg
20170617_185801.jpg
20170617_185828.jpg
20170617_185852.jpg

Is it me or does it look like it has 2 starter relays on it? Can you take a closer picture of this area in the first picture? Here is a cross site link to the shop manuals.

here.jpg

Here is a 66 coronet under hood schematic.
2017-06-18.png

Last edited:
Is it me or does it look like it has 2 starter relays on it? Can you take a closer picture of this area in the first picture? Here is a cross site link to the shop manuals.

View attachment 436878

View attachment 436880
Nope it's not just you, looks like 2 to me:realcrazy:. I'd start with figuring out why there's 2. As for the car continuing to run after the cables were pulled, the alt is often connected at the starter relay so it would keep the system hot as long as it's running.

That 2nd(lower) "relay" is not setup like a starter relay; looks more like a terminal(?) block of some kind.

View attachment 436880
Yeah was thinking what it was because the
top one is the starter relay but I don't know what the bottom one is here are some pics.
20170618_202412.jpg
20170618_202415.jpg
20170618_202424.jpg

View attachment 436878

Looking at the schematic above and the connections on the lower one it looks like the horn relay. How close are the horns/horn to that relay? I believe thats what that is now that I can see the terminals. This will give you an idea of what each wire does on the upper one. You also have fused links in there, The relay is cheap I would replace if you have power to the yellow wire with key on. If you do not have power with the key on then the issue has to be either under the dash at the bulkhead connector or in the ignition switch. If you can start it with a key then I would say the switch is good. If not then You might want to replace the starter relay.

Inked20170618_202412_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the schematic above and the connections on the lower one it looks like the horn relay. How close are the horns/horn to that relay? I believe thats what that is now that I can see the terminals. This will give you an idea of what each wire does on the upper one. You also have fused links in there, The relay is cheap I would replace if you have power to the yellow wire with key on. If you do not have power with the key on then the issue has to be either under the dash at the bulkhead connector or in the ignition switch. If you can start it with a key then I would say the switch is good. If not then You might want to replace the starter relay.

View attachment 437353
I can turn the car on with the key, the only thing is that it doesn't turn off even if I turn the key to the off position, do you think replacing the starter relay will fix that?

It stands to reason that when you apply voltage to the yellow wire via the key it engages the relay. When you turn off the key the relay should switch off. I would try that first they aren't expensive. Its very possible that it just stays engaged. If you follow the wiring diagram you can see the yellow wire from I believe L terminal that goes back into the under dash harness its the only wire that tells the car to start. The NSS neutral safety switch is a safe guard and should not be an issue. The other wires are bigger and are power supply and feed to the starter. And one ground. So I would swap that relay out with a new one and test it out. 12 bucks at oreallys.. sure beats hours of senseless wire chasing.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...58_4584&rpl=1&categoryRedirect=01833&pt=01833

It looks like Maybe your coil is hot wired to the battery. You have to use your key for the starter, but ignition is hot so key won't shut off

It looks like Maybe your coil is hot wired to the battery. You have to use your key for the starter, but ignition is hot so key won't shut off
should i remove the blue wire that runs from the ignition coil to the battery?

Streetwedg has the right idea, no wire straight to batt from coil. Maybe your original coil wiring is bad so that's why it's like that?

Auto Transport Service
Back