• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"The most wonderful time of the year".....Balderdash!

Uhhh...That sucks!

When I was younger I loved winter but now that I'm old I could live without it.

DCP_9426.jpg

Maybe try a latitude further south when you retire...Costa Rica or Cayman islands instead of Tennessee.

Every year it is the same thing for me. This year is no different.
I count down the days.
December 21st is the shortest daylight day of the year.
December 25th is Christmas, no more shopping.
January 1st, the new year begins.
I used to really like Summer but about 15 years ago, Spring started to edge out Summer for me. The crisp mornings that gave way to nice 75 degree afternoons are great. Working outside in shorts and T shirts....
This is a bit much.....I'd take it over 40 degree days though!
8-16.jpg

You can watch this on a cold, rainy day:

:D

I feel your pain KD. Instead of working on my car Saturday, I was outside, under a trailer, installing a new sewer line for a friend. It was cold and raining when we started, and colder and snowing when we finished. Most of me stayed warm but my hands froze as I had to take off the gloves to glue all the piping fittings. We are going to leave Michigan when the wife and I retire and we will miss are all of our good friends but not the weather or the flatness of this area. Headed south to a state where they don't tax your retirement.

We all choose to live where we do, I suppose....
Our weather sounds similar to yours, KD.
Today, we got into the upper 50's and I'd already squandered several opportunities recently to get Fred out, so today the wife knew that was happening, come hell or high water (or recent medical procedures).

I even put the makeshift phone/camera mount on the windshield and we made some amateur attempts at shooting the ride around town, which I'll post a link to on here soon as I get them all up on YouTube - apologies in advance.
Disregard - the videos came out crappy, especially the sound for some reason?
Sorry...

Regardless, it felt good to get Fred out. Hell, it was good to BE out, given recent events.
I hate winter as much or even more than most, but the older I get, the MORE south I want to be!

Last edited:
70 degrees here today.................not a fan of daylight savings time though, only got 10 holes of golf in late this afternoon.:)

Sahara...The thought of approx 6 hours of daylight each day sounds horrible. I can barely take it where I am now.

The worst part for me is that the sun actually doesn’t come up, it’s just light. It’s worse the further north you get. Some of the way north communities have sun down parties when it gets dark, and a sunrise party when the sun finally comes up a few WEEKS later. That’s weeks of total darkness. The really weird thing is in the spring. The days change noticeably day by day. At the time of largest change we gain or lose seven minutes per day. That’s almost an hour more or less of daylight per week.

Probably the worst thing about the late fall and early winter, gets dark at 4:30 whereas in the summer it is still light at 9pm.

The worst part for me is that the sun actually doesn’t come up, it’s just light. It’s worse the further north you get. Some of the way north communities have sun down parties when it gets dark, and a sunrise party when the sun finally comes up a few WEEKS later. That’s weeks of total darkness. The really weird thing is in the spring. The days change noticeably day by day. At the time of largest change we gain or lose seven minutes per day. That’s almost an hour more or less of daylight per week.

I believe having all the dark, weeks at a time promotes alcoholism the farther north you go. I've heard this many years ago and the lack of sunshine does effect the chemicals in your system.

I've been on the central east coast all my life and each winter gets harder to tolerate. Having RA doesn't help. Hoping for a mild winter again but they are talking about a weather maker already. Wednesday, 8" to 10". :rolleyes:

Kern, you're just getting old
301.gif

This was yesterday at the ranch. The fog was freezing
ranch.jpg
onto the pine trees. It snowed later that night. Beautiful.

Last edited:
I agree that a snowy climate is beautiful but the cold S-U-C-K-S !!

Spent six years in Alaska, beautiful but wayyy to cold... And yes the sun rose at about 10:15 a.m. before setting at about 3:45 p.m.

Please don't take offense, but one of my favorite questions to ask folks is "why do you choose to live there?"
It's nothing accusatory - I'm genuinely curious as to how folks wind up where they do oftentimes.

Please don't take offense, but one of my favorite questions to ask folks is "why do you choose to live there?"
It's nothing accusatory - I'm genuinely curious as to how folks wind up where they do oftentimes.

Born in the state, went to college in the state, married in the state, worked for a PD in the state, and now work for a chemical company in the state. Great state overall, just not this particular area of the state (Go figure, in Michigan, our county doesn't have one natural lake). Went where the school, heart, and jobs took me. In a few years the job wont be a factor so we can move to a state that treats retired persons a little better.

Auto Transport Service
Back