• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The new guy from California

Another guy I wished I’d known of earlier.. pls see post #15. Cars n Coffee at that donut shop? Never went but heard of it. Went to San Clemente a few times and the old Laguna Hills mall. Maybe I just didn't try hard enough…. The pic is from Street Machines National in Mpls last summer - My buddy took 1st place in whatever class he was in. I miss the car but not the hassles I endured with it out here. View attachment 1616602

I guess the technical name is "Donut Derelicts" in HB, but we just called it Donut Shop.
I've been going there for years with my '66 GTO, (sold now), and my current '67 GTX.
I'm a bigger fan of Cars and Coffee in San Clemente because I'm a Ferrari guy, always have been, and they always come out on Saturdays.
Hopefully I'll see ya there sometime.
You had a Very Nice GTX, Sweet !!
Now get to working on another one !!

Welcome from 5 hours north of you. I recognize the push truck in the first photo. Used to live in SD county for 22 years. Is it still owned by Holly? If you don't already know, big show in Van Nuys 2nd to the last weekend. Spring Fling. Mopars only. Show, swap, cruise.
Yep, that Holly's truck. She let us use her truck at the Nitro Revival for the push start. Yes, I know about spring fling. I have been a few times. Going to miss this year, we are going to be at Pomona for the races. They want us to take the dragster to promote Nitro Revival.

Welcome from 5 hours north of you. I recognize the push truck in the first photo. Used to live in SD county for 22 years. Is it still owned by Holly? If you don't already know, big show in Van Nuys 2nd to the last weekend. Spring Fling. Mopars only. Show,

Sorry, just noticed it in April. So, I'll try to make it. Hopefully race gas will come down in price. Probably cost me $600 to get there and back!!!

Here are some pictures of the Hemi I am putting in my Charger. Here is a little history on how I acquired the Hemi. It came from an estate sale. I do some work for a company that handles estate sales and I do the automotive estimates. The guy called me and said he had a garage full of engines and engine parts. So, I told him I would have a look. It was a two car garage full of Ford engines (yea I know). These where not just any Ford engines. They were 427 side oilers! 6 of these to be exact. Some were supercharged and some were Hilborn injected. It was a gold mine. There were boxes of new parts, stacks of cranks, blocks and heads. As I was doing the inventory. I noticed an engine under a cover next to the washing machine. I took the cover off and there it was a 426 Hilborn injected Hemi! I told the seller I have a guy that would buy up all the Ford stuff and I was interested in the Hemi. My Ford guy just about pass out when he seen the 427's. He made the lady an offer for the entire garage. It was a fair offer, but the deal was I would get the Hemi as part of the sale. It was supposed to be free to me, but I am not that guy. I won't tell what I paid, but it was a fair deal for both of us. After I did my research on the Hemi, it was a Keith Black prepped Direct Connection block from 1978 with 1969 heads. I got new JE pistons, Eagle rods, and a bunch of Mildon parts. I sent the crank to Henry Velasco to be checked, he said it had never been run and it was perfect and it needed no mag to balance it. I sent the block out to have it checked for cracks and it's a perfect standard bore. The biggest issue was the 1/2 head studs, but Indy cylinder heads handled that issue. Here are the pictures from start to almost finish.

thumbnail_IMG_6374.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6471.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6472.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6474.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2989.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2990.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6392.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6393.jpg

thumbnail_63252566168__4E830490-2969-41D8-8651-E96BE169C61B.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3151.jpg

Welcome - I’m just down the street from you in Aliso Viejo. Where were you when I still owned my 68 X of 48 years. I sold a few years ago because it seemed the Mopar contingent here was so weak - unlike my hometown of Mpls. I could never find a decent shop and not really a show goer those I went to were mostly GM/Ford snobs that wouldn’t even acknowledge a Mopar guy. More to it - but disenchanted I finally sold the car to a life long friend back in Mpls. Wish I would have known you then.

BTW - Really sweet Charger!
Yea, I never wanted to be that guy that "used to have that car" so that is probably why I hold on to stuff for so long. Not many people can say that " I have the first car I ever owned". I have it set up in my trust that if the car gets sold, my family gets nothing!! I have been in that same situation where you go to a show, and nobody cares about the Mopar's. I really think they don't appreciate how classy the Mopar's are! I call it jealousy!! I am not really a car show guy just for that fact until I started working on Don Hamptons top fuel car back in 2019. Now it seems like I am out at least once a month. The Mopar's are now a big part of most of the shows I go to.

Welcome aboard from a fellow 68 Charger owner. Nice car. My brother bought one new in 68 with the 383 4 speed. They were pretty rare. I think one of 157 or something like that. Way more rare than my 68 R/T.
Not really sure how rare it is, but a funny deal. I used to ride in this car when I was a kid. It has a lot of history in our neighborhood. The guy who I got from who was the original owner, passed away a few years ago and his son was trying to buy it back. I told him, I turned down an 80k offer from a collector. I told him he could drive it anytime, but it is still not for sale!

Not really sure how rare it is, but a funny deal. I used to ride in this car when I was a kid. It has a lot of history in our neighborhood. The guy who I got from who was the original owner, passed away a few years ago and his son was trying to buy it back. I told him, I turned down an 80k offer from a collector. I told him he could drive it anytime, but it is still not for sale!
Before this stuff became collectable I sold several project cars for what I thought was crazy money. Well, back in the mid 80's it was crazy money! I didn't have the foresight back then to see where this stuff was going.....nuts.

Auto Transport Service
Back