• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Perfect Way to Cook Turkey

Bruzilla

Local time
8:05 AM
Reaction score
I've spent 30 years developing the best way to cook a turkey, and I put all my skills to the test yesterday when my brother-in-law brought his much bragged about fried turkey to the family dinner. We've been hearing for months how these are the moistest turkeys ever, but the one that I made blew his away. :) I know this is the day after Thanksgiving, but this will be usedful info for next year.

1. Completely thaw the turkey.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
3. Get an elevated roasting rack that keeps the turkey an inch or so off the bottom of the roasting pan.
4. Coat the top of the turkey with poultry seasoning, and then flip it over so the breast side is down and put it on the rack.
5. Coat the bottom of the turkey with seasoning and slide it in the oven.
6. Cook the bird for exactly three hours if it's under 18 pounds, or 3.5 hours if over 18 pounds.
7. Remove the turkey and let it "rest" for one hour on the counter. The hot liquids inside the meet will continue cooking the meat without being lost. DO NOT cut the meat until the hour is up so all that liquid cools and doesn't turn to steam as soon as you slice it.

The problem with turkey cooking is that most directions are based on cooking the bird until it is 100% cooked, which is requires lots of time due to the density of the leg and thigh meat, but all that time also dries out the breast meat, which is the majority of the bird. Cooking for three hours cooks all the breast meat, and most of the thigh and leg meat. There might be some meat the leg and thigh joint that isn't completely cooked, and if there is just set it aside and throw it in the soup pot if you make turkey noodle soup with the leftovers or finish cooking it when you reheat the leftovers.

Do you test the bird with a meat thermometer to make sure it is at the correct temp for doneness? Seems to me that by your method, the meat closer to the bones will not be quite done at 325 degrees. But having not tried it in the oven for years, i get the best results by indirect slow cooking/smoking the bird for a very good tasting result. Hope you feast was enjoyed by everyone at your place Bru. And on a side note, I am not a very big fan of a deep fried Turkey as it is a hit or miss and just looses the actual Turkey flavor due to the oil being used...cr8crshr/Tuck:usflag::usflag::usflag:

MEN don't need to know --- we just need to know how to use a fork -- or our fingers -- to EAT the turkey.....
That's WOMEN's work -- one of their two jobs on planet Earth -- have to give them some work -- or they'll feel useless and cry.
Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving............... I ate like a KING............

I make a mean turkey,bruzilla i like your cooking method. The opnly difference is after 2.5 hours I turn the bird over and cover the white meat with aluminum foil to protect the white meat from drying out. Also I tie the wings and legs away from bird body so the convection oven heat cooks the legs properly in one swing. I am always concerned with salmonella in the leg meat. If juice runs red the whole bird can make you very sick.

I like to brine for a minimum of 12hrs. Makes for a real juicy bird and helps it cook a little faster. Cook upside down covered with foil, flip and uncover the last 45 min-hour to get a nice brown and crisp on the skin...Bru's steps 1,3,4&5 are good ones to incorporate into any recipe..

Whether you brine or not, the best way to get a turkey (or chicken) to cook quickly and evenly is to spatchcock (butterfly) it by removing the backbone and flattening it out. The entire bird - legs, breasts, wings, etc... are all on a level plane so everything ends up cooking to the correct temperature at the same time. No need to flip it or mess with it. My girlfriend is a professional fine-dining chef - this is how it's done and trust me, it is juicy AF! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
20161124_141959.jpg
20161124_160559.jpg

Thanks for tips Bruzilla.

My preferred method is brine then throw it on the Big Green Egg and smoke it. 300* till it's done. Nice and moist with a slightly crisp skin.

We do Trash Can Turkey at the paint shop I hang out at some. Post Christmas pot luck. Lots of fun and pretty much fool proof. Welding gloves are a must. Good vid on the how to.

Whether you brine or not, the best way to get a turkey (or chicken) to cook quickly and evenly is to spatchcock (butterfly) it by removing the backbone and flattening it out. The entire bird - legs, breasts, wings, etc... are all on a level plane so everything ends up cooking to the correct temperature at the same time. No need to flip it or mess with it. My girlfriend is a professional fine-dining chef - this is how it's done and trust me, it is juicy AF! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
View attachment 543136 View attachment 543137

Hmmm, a spineless turkey sounds like something a politician would eat.

I fry nearly every year but I do NOT follow the 'regular' rules. Ain't no way the oil hits 375....it's more around 300 at the most with 275 as a target. This year it was cooked just a bit too long and too hot and it was a bit dry but everything up until now has been very good and moist. This years turkey wasn't bad but the wings were overdone and the legs were a bit too. The trash can method looks cool but man, the galvanized deal makes me leery....

I hate turkey. Been eating roast beef broiled in a rotisserie for the last 50+ years in my family on Thanksgiving.

IMG_3707.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back