• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pontiac Trans Sport dustbuster van or other weird cars you like.

SteveSS

Local time
2:44 AM
Reaction score
Now that these vans have gone down as a historic failure I really want one. It has to be white and in relatively good shape. Let me know if you find one. It looks like the F-ing Space shuttle.

Are there any oddball cars you like that everyone else hates?
Pontiac-Trans-Sport-Seitenansicht-169FullWidth-4d67fa62-638602-3520244247.jpg

Now that these vans have gone down as a historic failure I really want one. It has to be white and in relatively good shape. Let me know if you find one. It looks like the F-ing Space shuttle.

Are there any oddball cars you like that everyone else hates?View attachment 1635501

Be sure to get the optional 15" dash speaker.

Cool, I didn't know about the speaker. That dash has to be massive.

I am a big fan of any oddball vehicle, I get tired of the same old same old at every car show.

Pontiac Aztec! I remember reading a drive test on one of those at the time. The tester stopped at gas station to refill. A lady at the next pump asked if he was getting paid to drive that ugly thing. ( he was )

Are there any oddball cars you like that everyone else hates?View attachment 1635501
Here ya go:

These weren't a failure. They sold really well in the midwest, because they handled snow very well and especially in WI the zealotry of the bowtie is fierce.
I had two of them in extended family garages, aunt drove it to 200k, gave it to cousin who lived near Milwaukee. She junked it when the windshield cracked at 430k miles. Original engine, second transmission. The other was bought used and sold at 300k+miles to buy a downsized Buick sedan when the kids were older.
The trick was to get one with the early 3.1 Multi-port EFI v6. That engine rivals the 3800 in longevity and has stupid ft lbs for it's size, enough to squeel the heck out of 14 and 15" 175 series car tires anyway.
It is basically a W body car with some..... bonus... sheetmetal and glass. LOL windsheild wipers too.

To the theme of the thread, apparently everyone hates 4 doors on old cars, AND they hate late "malaise" and "smog" cars, so I guess my 78 Monaco counts.
I like these:
1711490900621.png

I had one, but mine was without the horrid chrome wheel well things and in an odd beige-ish pewter color with leather(it was pretty classy looking really) and a v8 and a moonroof and whatever else you could get back then. My first car I bought back 25 years ago. The interior is shaped like an aircraft cockpit with most things in a circle facing the driver.
Notice how the seats are basically smack dab in the center between the wheels? The wheelbase is also long. This car rode really nice. IRS. Giant four wheel discs, this car would drop from 70-0 in like a hundred feet, or at least if seemed like it based on the few deer I did not hit because of the brakes. Door is like 5 feet long lol. Stereo was factory amplified. Dual climate control(auto) pretty ahead of it's time really. Oh, did I mention V8 and RWD?

Comparitively: the same year Mustang, which I also had years later and now my boy has. Brakes were half as good in the mustang. mustang was faster off the line, but probably because I put 3:55 gears in and it was a 5 speed vs the factory 2:73 in the Mercury. Yes, the Mercury did 50mph in first gear lol. holy smokes could it pass people on the highyway though, dumping from OD to second I learned to wait for it to go to third and then floor it or the poor car didn't know what to do lol.

I miss the car and would get another but stuff like this, in actual classy color and not "pimped out" is hard to find in WI due to salt.

The 3.8 in the cougar, t bird and windstar were the biggest piles known to ford besides the 4.0 Dohc and 4.2 with the ticking Tritons .. I was a ford tech during the 3.8 days, we couldn’t get them out of the door after replacement. The Mendenhall remans were the worst! Get a 302 in a cougar and you had a lot nicer car than a mustang..

That GT verson was a one year only option (1992) with very slow sales, so you might find that there are very few in existence. I did think that the Trans Sport name was clever, better than the Montana that followed it.

How about the Aztec? No wonder why Pontiac got dropped.

pontiac-aztek-rear-1585319857.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back