• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Willomet Charger

It would be fun to hang around someone like you and suck up knowledge/talent etc. One of the things I miss when I worked for Ben Bright. He was one of the Overhaulin crew Chip nabbed from Wyotech when the show was first going. BTW, I'm working on a deal to get a pair of welders from Everlast. Upgrade both the MIG and TIG. Waiting for a friend to come up with dough to buy one of my Roscoe's. M1A Supermatch with several high dollar upgrades.

I'm working on a deal to get a pair of welders from Everlast.
I love my 210EXT. Super powerful and a great value. The newer machines are supposed to be even better.

David....you are an artist. Full stop.
Muchas gracias compadre. I have come to treat this a bit like an art project. “Happy little welds.”

David

I'm looking at the 255EXT[ tig] and the 253DPI[ mig] units.
A buddy has run the 255 daily for more than a few years and really likes it. Good pieces of gear.

Frame horns underway. I drew this in bend tech and had it lasered and bent at sendcutsend. The pieces came out perfectly, and it takes about an hour to tack assembly each side. Super efficient.

screenshot 2023-09-11 093442.jpeg

The little corner piece can’t get welded in just yet since there’s a tube that will run through the top, land on the bottom flange, and be in double shear.

IMG_5982.jpeg

IMG_5983.jpeg

Temp install. Also, overlay details.

IMG_5977.jpeg

It runs right up to the crossmember.

IMG_5978.jpeg

Fun little welding project.

David

I would love to be able to learn about and have use of that tech. Simply amazing. But I have enough on my plate as it is. Then there is the money part. Have to keep those tight and focused so as not to go down the rabbit hole.

Here is an example of keeping myself focused and out of the rabbit hole. I unpacked all of the dies/wheels etc for my machines today. Got the bead roller cleaned off and ready for use. I already have a small fortune invested just in this stuff. Glad I was able to buy it when I was more flush. Now I just have to re-learn how to use the stuff.

IMG_3875.jpeg

IMG_3877.jpeg

Here is an example of keeping myself focused
That's a darned good collection of rolls and a nice machine.

Frame horns are burned and roughly fit. I have an old XV crossmember that will tie them together, but right now, the rear axle mounting needs some attention.

IMG_6015.jpg

David

I’ve been going for the “OE-plus” look on these frame horns. These are inspired by a 1st and 2nd gen GM F-body frames, and actually come out to the the same width as the original Mopar unibody frame stubs (36”). That lets me make use of a “Mopar” part I’ve been hanging onto for a few years now. That little corner plate is left out for now because a tube lands in the interior.

IMG_6090.jpeg

This was my first time using the bending service at SendCutSend, and it came in super dialed. All I had to do was fixture it together and weld.

Horns moved to the table, set at 36-1/8” apart.

IMG_6093.jpeg

IMG_6092.jpeg

It’s a bit tank-ish, but this will be the first structural part to take a hit on a steep driveway or ditch. So, it’s getting slugged with thin wall 4130.

IMG_6098.jpeg

IMG_6099.jpeg

Kind of reminds me of the US Car Tool stuff.

David

Will you be putting a tube inside those holes?

Many years ago I had a zapper that I opened the grid up on to let the moths in. Entertaining.

95A first pass, cleaned up and prepped for cover pass.

IMG_6119.jpeg

100A pulse cover, my norm for anything that remains visible. It’s the off-road guy in me, treating everything like it’s a trophy truck build.

IMG_6124.jpeg

Tacked a ready for test fit.

IMG_6136.jpeg

I’m glad I didn’t get rid of that XV crossmember.

David

When I made mine, I sourced some ornamental iron fence 90's from Industrial Metal Supply as I didn't have access to anyone to whip up 90's in square tubing at the time. Welded those to a piece of 2" tube, anchored the other end of the 90's to some strap and stitched the unit to the existing rails. I like yours better but made do with what was available at the time. For the upper tie bar, I did find a gent who could give me a curve bend on rectangle to match the old tie bar. Added some other pieces to that then a couple of vertical pieces to the rails with 16ga wrapped around the outside to the inner fenders.
IMG_0076.JPG

I sourced some ornamental iron fence 90's from Industrial Metal Supply
The best thing about hotrodding are all the different solutions folks come up with.

Thursdays are for hanging with my wife, but I squeezed in a quick 10 minute fit test on the car.

IMG_6145.jpeg

Like a glove. Whew!

David

the detail drawings & metal work along with the welds are awesome !!!

Auto Transport Service
Back