• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time for a show lets see the 71-74's

To be fair, I may have crapped on the 6th generation Mustang and I like the 7th even less. Not to mention the Mach E, or 4 door "Chargers." And C4-8 Corvettes. The more I think about it, I may be just as bad as the guys who don't like 71-74 Chargers and Road Runners.
Oh I don't even pretend that I'm not prejudiced! Lol. I'm truly a mopar or no car guy, married into a blue oval family, and we pick on each other more about rides than we do politics. Lol. It takes me back to the old days of going to Nascar races with my pop in the late 60s and early 70s, when you sat in the grandstand with "your people" Lol. I guess it would be no fun if everybody loved the same thing.

Oh I don't even pretend that I'm not prejudiced! Lol. I'm truly a mopar or no car guy, married into a blue oval family, and we pick on each other more about rides than we do politics. Lol. It takes me back to the old days of going to Nascar races with my pop in the late 60s and early 70s, when you sat in the grandstand with "your people" Lol. I guess it would be no fun if everybody loved the same thing. I should also add that my brother is a Challenger guy and I'm a roadrunner GTX guy, and we even rag each other about Plymouth vs. Dodge....... it's just fun.

Just pulled mine out of the weeds and brought it home this weekend. Long road ahead. 1972 400 with a pistol grip 4-speed

IMG_1193.jpeg

IMG_9027.jpeg

don't post often, but here's my 72 with a 440 rebuild with EFI, rebuilt A727 and new converter, new TTIs, new suspension and tires all last year. ready for the winter Az cruise season until I have to pay my wife back with an actual cruise.

20221226_163307.jpg

I've been binge-watching 71-72 NASCAR. This period is a bit before my time so it's fascinating to see these cars on the race track, especially the slower tracks where the 68-70 cars can mix it up with the 71-72 cars (instead of getting blown away like they do on the fast tracks). I usually think of the 2nd gen Charger as being better looking than the 3rd gen, but on the track the 3rd gen looks like a powerful, hulking brute and the 2nd gen is more dainty and delicate looking. Most of the effect is in the fuselage styling around the c pillar. The 3rd gen has so much visual mass there, where the 2nd gen greenhouse is tapering down into the flying buttresses. Sorry 2nd gen owners, but the 3rd gen looks like it can beat up the 2nd gen and take its lunch money - which it is actually doing on the faster tracks.

I was upset to hear Petty say the 71 cars were less aerodynamic than the previous cars, even though it was only because they'd begun running open windows and window nets. Even like that, they were getting into the 190's at Talladega. One of the other drivers hit 212, I think it was in a Mercury. It makes me wonder what the top end speed would be with windows. Lamborghinis and Ferraris of the 80's and 90's don't seem so special anymore. I don't think many muscle cars were built for overall top speed, but if you wanted a 200 mph 3rd gen that seems doable.

Yes sadly the Gen 2 Chargers were complete turds.
Luckily chrysler converted a handful back into something useful on the track. Thank Jesus.

I'd like to see the 3rd gen race the 2nd gen Daytona, both with identical 426 hemis, no restrictor plates, and closed windows. Many think the 305 Daytona could have won the 71 Daytona 500, but with open windows, nets, and restrictor plates on the big blocks (IIRC they had restrictor plates) I don't know how meaningful it would have been if the 305 Daytona had won. It would be an impressive win for the Daytona team, but no one is going to run cars like that on the street.

I'd also like to see someone build a 3rd gen for top end speed, with modern parts. If Bobby Isaac can hit 192 with open windows, nets, and restrictor plates; what is the car really capable of? It has to be well over 200. In the category of cars that can carry 5-6 people, an upgraded 3rd gen is probably still among the fastest.

I love the stance on the NASCAR 3rd gens. I guess they get more downforce with the rear deck leveled out. It looks so good!

Screenshot_20240120_133418.jpeg

Were any made with these stripe packages?

What magazines were those articles from?

I've only seen 71's with the 2nd stripe package. Anybody got pics of the other three? Or a 71 with the adjustable wing for that matter, which AFAIK only appeared on a concept car.

Welborne's (?) coulda' been" R/T has the wing and alternate stripe, plus the shark tooth N96.

About the green one, that is surely not the right mounting position for the wing. And it's the wrong wing, but the reason why I was wanting to see the factory bee stripe option on the tail (if there was one) is because I'd like to see how Dodge solved the problem of the side marker lamps not lining up with the correct location of the wing.

Screenshot_20240123_005239.jpeg

It looks like the bee stripe was going to be huge, but still, it might not come back far enough to reach the rear of the wing mount. It would look funny with the wing mounts half in the stripe, half out.

I've only seen ONE 71-74 Charger with a rear stripe that looked anywhere near good.

Probly why the factory decided against it.

15835532_large.jpg

This one was on its way to looking good, but now the wing is too far back (and it's the wrong wing again).

This looks factory, and the base of the wing appears to line up with the side marker lamps -

71-Dodge-Charger-RT-2.jpg

I'll check again, but I believe the mounting location on my trunk is further back than that.

Auto Transport Service
Back