• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing Question

Coronet 14

Local time
12:32 PM
Reaction score
002.jpg This may seem like a stupid question. I understand the 0 in the middle of the advance on timing plate. I don't understand the lines between the zeros. How many degrees are each line. The zero at the very top of scale what is that for. Thanks I'm still learning about these Mopars.

they are all not zeros.the before and after are 10.the lines inbetween are 5 degrees.

Thanks for the help. I never noticed the one before until now. Old age must be setting in.

Don't feel bad. I knew they were "10s" but had to go back and look real good to see the 1s. lol

If it wasn't for this site id still be thinking they are zeros. Now to figure out how much advance my distributor is

I can tell you this much......if you're looking for a performance setting, you're likely going to be off the scale BEFORE TDC. Most likely 12-14 degrees initial. Now, if you have a non stock cam, you could see as much as 20 or more initial. It's just something you have to mess around with to get right. Also, usually, the mechanical advance needs to be limited.....but that's too much on the plate for now. Mess around with the initial like it is and see what you can do with it.

After initial is set to whatever the book says disconnect the vacuum line to the distributor and plug it. Then with the timing light on slowly rev the engine and watch the mark move in the advanced direction (before). You will need to either mark the balancer or get a timing light with an advance knob on the back. You should end up with about 34 degrees total somewhere in the 3000 RPM range. Once you established that the distributor advance is working you can play with the initial setting. You will also want to check the vacuum advance to make sure that works. It should add about 10 deg and should be hooked to the ported port on the carb.

I'm gonna get the timing tape and see if I can get that. Right now new 4 bbl and carb going on.

Auto Transport Service
Back