• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To clone or not. That is the question.

The Rebel

Local time
10:01 PM
Reaction score
Just wondering how the overall hobby views this. For example I see a lot of Clones/Tributes for R/T's for sale and their price is about $10K less than an actual R/T $50K.

If you saw a good deal for one would you buy it?

Isn't that more of individual person question? Do YOU think it's worth it?

Of course the purists will call it sacrilege and others will be happy that another Mopar was at least saved. It's expected that a clone R/T to of course be less that a true blood R/T. But heck, if it started life as a 318 Charger (assuming that's what you're looking at) I'd be way happier now that it has the big motor in it!!

My Super Bee is a clone Six Pack Bee and I love it!!!! I don't care that it's clone, I LOVE IT as does everyone else who sees it. And I bought my clone Six Pack Bee for what an actual Bee is going for, nowhere near a true A12 car price. And my Bee is a true WM23 Super Bee.

Last edited:
Sure it's a personal decision as you can definitely save $ on an R/T Clone vs a real one. I was just wondering how the hobby views this. Not looking to cause a thread war between the purists and everyone else.

For example, I was a 12 year Civil War Reenactor before kids. There are many different type of people that participate in the hobby. I myself followed what most of the hobby did but at times fell into the hardcore category.

1. Hardcore = People that strive to be as historically accurate as possible. (ex: Period style tents or no tent at all, period style eyeglasses, excellent quality uniforms...)

2. Most of the hobby= People that work hard to be portray their impressions as historically accurate as possible (ex: Period correct tents, period style pocket watches, period style eyeglasses, good/excellent quality uniforms...)

3. Farbs = People that barely try to be historically accurate. (Ex: Modern day tents, sneakers, cheap quality uniforms, modern day glasses, modern day wrist watches...etc...)

Isn't that more of individual person question? Do YOU think it's worth it?

Of course the purists will call it sacrilege and others will be happy that another Mopar was at least saved. It's expected that a clone R/T to of course be less that a true blood R/T.

My Super Bee is a clone Six Pack Bee and I love it!!!! I don't care that it's clone, I LOVE IT as does everyone else who sees it.

Oh I'm the same why with my other hobby. But for this, if you like the car and the price, who cares what other people think. They don't like it, then they can walk away. I've had people ask "Is this a real A12 car?" I'm like no, its a clone. They then say "oh, too bad." My reply, oh, let's go look at your car then. "I don't have one." There you go.

Do you want to enter the car into some Mopar fanatic car show where every nut, washer, grease stain is scrutinized? Or have fun with it tearing up the streets?

HO scale railroad modeling. Don't have my own layout, but enjoy super detailing and weathering the models. Used to belong to railroad clubs and wouldn't operate the models having them look like Tyco toy junk like most people do. Mine have to be detailed and weathered like the prototypes before hitting the layout.

What's your other hobby?

Last edited:
That's cool! One of my 1st jobs was working in a hobby store. Sold lots of Lionel, American Flyer, HO Gauge, N-Gage and Z-Gauge there. I have a pre-war Lionel set that was my Dad's.

Buddy of mine works for Providence & Wooster RR. We did a ton of hiking on old abandoned RR lines before the rails to trails was even a thing. Picked up a few old Whitall Tadum insulators that hadn't been blown to bits off the old telegraph poles.

Railroad modeling. Don't have my own layout, but enjoy super detailing and weathering the models. Used to belong to railroad clubs and wouldn't operate the models having them look like Tyco toy junk like most people do. Mine have to be detailed and weathered like the prototypes before hitting the layout.

Last edited:
Ditto, my fender tag doesn't have a wing on it either. Matter of fact the tag was missing when I bought the car 25+ yrs ago. It is a real RM23H9A and was #s matching til 2 months ago. With the original engine stored, it's now back to what I got into this car for. A .30 383 w a purpleshaft has taken it's place and oh so much fun. A vintage Sunpro tach on the column, a pistol grip, and soon the 8 track player is going in. Maybe some Cragar SS's are in the future too. Old school? You bet! That's me. It's now a day 2, and everything I would have had back in the day.
I don't think the inner fender knew if it was a station wagon or a 6 bbl going down line. Build what you want, if I'm not afraid to hot rod it after all these years why should you be. I can always turn mine back in a few weekends if need be but I'm out of the lawn chair crowd and having a blast.
Anybody have any KC & the sunshine band 8 tracks? Lol

had an R/T clone...and a GTX..both 67 and done exact..could not tell unless the vin was seen. Loved them both BUT was always in my mind they were not the real deal. So with time and patience...I found the real deal R/T....see avatar to the left. If it doesn't bother an owner their car is a clone...I say...ENJOY !!

Wacko we need pics!!!! I used to despise the early seventies look, but for the past few years I find myself shamefully attracted to them!!!! Lol!

Calm spell check on a tablet...see!!! Damn!!! Not calm!!!! You po $#&&#%\$@&?¥₩÷;%%/@;×€*,.$×!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
OK excuse the bad photos.......
It's raining n now dark, but some quick pics. The "new" 383 all decked out in the oldest chrome stuff I had laying around. Also added an old Weiand 8008 I had with a new 800AVS, this thing screams. The 509 is a bit much, but just sounds so right. Hehe
Also took out the radio and made a homemade hotrodder delete plate then installed oil press and temp gauges (old mechanical ones of course). Then put the Hi-jacker air shocks back on too so it sits just right. Just about all the things I thought were wrong with it (and spent big $$ to " fix") are now almost back on, and it has its personality back! It's raucous, and downright brutal to drive, yep I love it.

Sorry tried to upload pics a couple times
New Android phone don't know what I'm doing ugh

Sorry tried to upload pics a couple times
New Android phone don't know what I'm doing ugh
Click on upload photos, choose file select documents and depending if they are down loaded or in your gallery select 1 and it should start uploading. Unfortunately you have to do that each time ....you can't select multiple pics to upload!

20160928_185911.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back