• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque Strap for 1973 charger 400

Schumacher I believe is the companies name that makes them. If you like tinkering they can easily be made, I bought sway bar link bushings and a heim link and built my own but it did require some lathe work.

I've used them, it's a nice product.

me too :D

DSC03019.JPG

They have them listed two ways, the one heading reads like it will fit, the second one does not include 73+ B.

They do have a poly spool mount with G8 hardware though.

Hardly any aftermarket is available for the 73 and up cars, due to the redesigned rubber-isolated k member and what not.

I used to just have some chain before?
I bought the TQ63B kit long ago, and it did now work with my power steering on the '71 Charger.
Looks like they changed the upper attachment bracket (TQBE style) that might work?
I have been running the car at the track with just the poly mounts (no torque strap), and so far no problems.

Here's one I just whipped up to keep my 451 in check. It's in a 69 belvedere so no idea if it'd work for ya...

I was planning to pull it out when school starts in a week or two and turn down the threads on the lathe at school / paint it black... but who knows, maybe I'll leave it gold.

Cost me $15 - grade 8 rod, female rod end and some hardware / bushings I had laying around.

IMG_5798.JPG
IMG_5800.JPG
IMG_5802.JPG
IMG_5803.JPG

What am I missing here? ’73 with spool mounts, why would a torque strap be needed?
From what I understand, the torque strap doesn't only prevent motor mount breakage, but also breaking the mounting ears cast into the block.

Thats why I need one...drivers side engine mount ear is broken off.

Ouch. Yeah I'd look into making a torque strap asap, before you break another off. Unfortunately for us 73+ owners, handmade is the only option.

I dunno, guys, typically the torque straps are mounted to the drivers side ear - the big one to the front of the block. The good news is I've seen some mount one to one or more of the water pump bolts.

Auto Transport Service
Back