• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tranny 727 first time build... update

63dodge440

Local time
3:40 PM
Reaction score
got my 63 dodge 440 came with a pushbutton 727. no history...installed it had rev no foward... took vb out found that some tracs in the vb were bent, looks like water and may have frozen... took it back out had a guy help me go through it clutches plates seals ect...put it back in had foward and rev wouldnt shift.. then lost rev, took it back out tore it down in my garage, found a seal tore,second clutch pac fried, took it all the way down found a bad piston in the gov. and was stuck...92 degree out today, even hotter in the garage no overhead door open just a box fan... after getting all the new parts needed i started the whole rebulid down to the tale shaft seal at 3:00 afternoon rebuilt and back in the car at 10:20, fild with fluid didnt try it waiting till morn, crazy right tired and dirty...will let you know how it goes///

Wow - that must have been miserable in that heat! It was bad enough up here today without rebuilding a tranny! Headed for 94 degrees here tomorrow, but at least it'll be humid, too. Ugh. One question - why not open the door? Good luck and let us know how it tests out.

Wow - that must have been miserable in that heat! It was bad enough up here today without rebuilding a tranny! Headed for 94 degrees here tomorrow, but at least it'll be humid, too. Ugh. One question - why not open the door? Good luck and let us know how it tests out.
well if i open the seems every one comes over, then cant work...but we will see if it all was worth it, if feeling good about it.

i tried it it doesnt go into any gears,,,, pulled the vb reckd all looks good, blew air into the front and rear clutch ports they ingage and dis in gage.. took off the tranny line at the rad started it no fluid...pulled the tranny back out thought the ears on the pump might be broke, the wer not.... at a lost will pull the pump later and see if i see anything, didnt rebuilt the old pump... any thoughts.

Look at the bright side - when you get it fixed you'll be an expert. Then you won't have to pay somebody to build you junk anymore. Hope you get it figured out soon. Check the converter valve - if it's not filling the convertor trans won't work (go into gear) and you won't get fluid out of the cooler. Fliud goes into the converter then out into the cooling/ lube circuit.

thanks for the replys will ck into it tomorrow anything elese i can look for? at least the chutches front and rear work when air is applyed to the ports...

Could be converter valve or pressure regulator valve stuck open on the valve body, these are the valves under the bent metal retainer under the linkage. If you left the stator to pump body bolts loose this could also cause a big loss in pressure,

Could be converter valve or pressure regulator valve stuck open on the valve body, these are the valves under the bent metal retainer under the linkage. If you left the stator to pump body bolts loose this could also cause a big loss in pressure,
i ckd the valve body out twice all free and working....pulled the pump today found three tiny slivers of metal about like finger nail clippings but thats all, took the pump apart looked fine...i left the tranny with fluid in it should i beable to spin the convertor fast egough to mak it pump a little out the line

yes, if the pan is full and pump is primed it will come out of the front fitting, put the shifter in gear when you do this

ok ckd over the pump well, didnt see anything...blew through the rad tranny cooler it was clear, did both new tranny line, one was alittle harder to blow through and looked like a water tranny fluid fix whn it hit the floor, the other side was straight tranny fluid...what kind of pressure does the pump have....kinda worried to put it back in.. was told the pump if turnning should pump something....

The pump should be capable of some terrific pressure. Without the regulators, it would be able to blow the case apart. But if it's not working, you'd have seen something obvious when it was apart. A 727's line pressure should be at least 135 psi.

-=Photon440=-

what elese should i look at, while its out of the car, with the line and the rad off and car running there was no fluid coming out, also whn i took the lines off the tranny no fluid there as well....the first the tranny was built i had foward and rev for a bit then i lost rev, seal on the big piston was blown, and i found the gov was stuck and a bad piston in it all fixed now....iam at a lost as to were to go next...

Did you prime the converter with fluid prior to installation? How many quarts total of fluid did you use? Did you have the trans in gear as you were adding the fluid?

well i didnt see anything wrong with the pump or the vb but i live a few miles from a&a transmissions rick allison place they are the best group of guys let the ck the pump and the vb out they didnt see anything wrong, but they took the time to ck and anwser questions..so i came home,re ckecked everything put the tranny back in added 4 qt first ran tthrough the gears... they worked added atotal of 7qts took it for a drive shifted went to third a little early but hey its a start....crazy huh it works now and i did nothing different, but not complaining.....ill keep you posted...thanks everyone

It's nice to see that it's working now, even if you didn't figure out what the problem used to be. Hope it holds up!

well after fixing a leak rear wheel cyl, i made it to the show, two days late but i was there, right car ran well ,still seems to shift a little early, but does....ill try to adjust the throttle valve later what should the shift points be?

I believe they tend to shift early on big blks, as not much throttle pressure needed to get up to speed. On R/T it's got third by 25-28 mph in normal traffic, city streets, but at full throttle shifts at 4700 each gear. 1/2 throttle 1-2 at 2000, 2-3 same.

After installing a B&M Transpack and adjusting the linkage, my 383/727 combo shifted at 6300 at full throttle. It was very easy to set it to whatever rpm I wanted.

Of course, I was a kid, this was 1978, and my friends were impressed with the upshift tire barking...

-=Photon440=-

Auto Transport Service
Back