• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trans fluid help

Sat66

Local time
3:22 PM
Reaction score
Ok, I know this has been kicked around a lot. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what kind of fluid to use. What I have. A Cope 727 pro race, reverse manual valve body, and billet drum. Now sitting behind a mild bult street 383. The 727 was a hand me down from my uncle when he passed. Talked to John Cope and he says that he only recommends Penzzoil ATF. He sells it by the case. I see you guys run Type-f, and dextron-3. Can't seam to find any of the Penzzoil here in Southern Wisconsin (Dodge co.). Would there be anything in the trans that could might get hurt if I switched brands (castor oil, valvoline, ect). Or run Type-f, dextrin-3. Don't know why trans fluid intimidates me so much. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, JW.

Being a hi-po trans I think I would stick with what Cope recommends, might be an expensive lesson....
I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question though.
I would think a wal mart would carry it though, or just order it online.

I run my 9.0 car with aluminum trans parts, Alto frictions on Walmart Dexron. Over a year between changes, (100+ passes). Internals looked like new at inspection.
Doug

What number Dextron Doug? I just had my trans rebuilt to stock specs and was wondering what to use now days...

Type-F has different friction additives than dexron. Makes the clutches&bands lock up a little quicker,more like the specialty atf(B&M,etc). Dexron type was OEM in a Chrysler.

Believe it or not I run 303 tractor fluid in mine way cheaper and seems better and clean when I change it. 5 gal under 30 here. Look it up.

Believe it or not I run 303 tractor fluid in mine way cheaper and seems better and clean when I change it. 5 gal under 30 here. Look it up.
Where do you find 303? Used to use it 30+ years ago in tractors. I thought they quit making it.

Type-F has different friction additives than dexron. Makes the clutches&bands lock up a little quicker,more like the specialty atf(B&M,etc). Dexron type was OEM in a Chrysler.

What OldBee is telling you is correct. The 727 trans (hipo or stock) are recommended to run Dextron III (aka Dextron/Mercon). You can use either Ford's Type F or B&M's Trick Shift. The main thing to watch out for is DON'T MIX TRANSMISSION FLUIDS!!! You can run any of these, just make sure you completely flush & fill (including torque converter). If you mix the types of transmission fluid you can get foaming because not all transmission fluids are compatible with each other. Knowing this, I also make sure that I use exactly the same BRAND in the whole transmission (for example, don't use 5 qts. AutoZone Dextron/Mercon + 10 qts. O'Reilly Dextron/Mercon).

ALWAYS check level in neutral-hot&idling

So what I gather is it realy dosent matter what I run. Cheap, expensive, generic, name brand. Stock trans, modified trans. Just keep it the same dext-3, or type-f. Does that sound about right?

First of all I usually like name brand, have more faith in the chemistry&steering. 2nd I like the idea of type f or speciality because I think "slipping" clutches is the same as in a 4-spd; wears out quicker.

Meant chemistry&testing. Auto spell screws me again!!!

I'm pulling mine out tomorrow to swap to a new converter. I'll do a inspection and put up photos. What I've learned in 30+ years if you keep the trans temp under control, run proper clearance, and time the clutch apply/band release properly it doesn't matter what fluid you use.
Doug

I'm pulling mine out tomorrow to swap to a new converter. I'll do a inspection and put up photos. What I've learned in 30+ years if you keep the trans temp under control, run proper clearance, and time the clutch apply/band release properly it doesn't matter what fluid you use.
Doug
agree w/ doug. and,have mixed brands before and never had a problem.

Where do you find 303? Used to use it 30+ years ago in tractors. I thought they quit making it.
Tractor supply or auto Zone also carries it in 5 gal buckets. We are rural that might have something to do with it. The only draw back is it is clear I usually add a quart of dextron in for color.

Tractor supply or auto Zone also carries it in 5 gal buckets. We are rural that might have something to do with it. The only draw back is it is clear I usually add a quart of dextron in for color.
We have Tractor Supply, Rural King here in Indiana. Haven't seen it around here. What part of the country do you live, might be a regional thing.

Pennsylvania? Weird it is all over the place here. John Deere also sells it.

As promised. Rear clutch , front clutch, band all look perfect. 225 passes in 900HP 3350lb car. it uses the stock rear clutches and reverse band. The rear clutch is always applied immediately when any forward gear is selected so it is not subjected to slippage unless you have a piston or hard part failure. I use Alto red friction material for the KD band and front clutch. Same fluid 130 passes with aluminum drum. no band adjustments, band was still at 1.5 turns when disassembled. Front planet is cracked so it'll get that and a new filter. Check it again at the end of 2017.

20160910_104043_resized (Small).jpg 20160910_103754_resized (Small).jpg 20160910_103405_resized (Small).jpg 20160910_100319_resized (Small).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back