• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission difference on wiper motors??

FrnkNsteen

Local time
10:38 PM
Reaction score
In my search for a reasonable price on a 3speed wiper motor, I came across a site that specifies that cars with 4 speed transmissions need a different pigtail on the wiper motor than those with automatic transmissions.

Can anyone tell me what difference it would make if you have a 4spd or auto transmission on the wiring harness for the wiper motor.

I originally thought I was mis-reading it and it was talking about a 4 spd wiper (maybe 3speed + variable), but it specifically listed one number for automatic cars, and another for 4speed, asking if the customer needed the "4spd pigtail" I think that was on '68 models, and mine is a '69, but it got me curious.

cars with 4 speed transmissions need a different pigtail on the wiper motor than those with automatic transmissions.

that is fake news or in other words
incorrect information..it has nothing to do with he cars choice of transmission

you either have a 2 speed wiper or a three speed/variable speed wiper
2 speed wiper can use a separate pigtail for certain years and it uses a different switch and the wiper linkage to the pivots. is different
if you put back the same speed motor in your car
you should have no wiring/switch/linkage issues

This is the pig tail they are talking about...

This is on my '69

beerestoration2017 1243.JPG bbodyreversewireconnection.jpg

This is the pig tail they are talking about...

This is on my '69

View attachment 588302 View attachment 588303

Yep,... That's it. Like Flypaper said,.... I wouldn't have thought the wiper motor would be different wiring for manual vs auto transmissions. What the heck does the transmission have to do with the wiper motor?

What is that extra pigtail used for? Since I am converting mine to 4spd, I'm wondering if I need that and what it is for?

Thanks!

They are specifying trans so they send you the correctly wired bulkhead connector as I've shown. That pigtail connects to the reverse switch on the trans. Inside all it is doing is lighting this...
beerestoration2015-2016 761.JPG

..BUT most importantly it's putting your reverse lights on!.. although I believe that is via the jumper wire in my hand in the picture in post 3

Thanks. Sounds like I need to make sure I get the right wiper motor with that added pigtail then. Makes sense then since the reverse light for manual transmission is on that portion of the bulkhead connector, you would have to account for those wires.

I wonder why other places like Passion4mopars, who specialize in wiper motors, don't mention it?

Because they expect you are just replacing or restoring the existing wiper motor on your car, and all the wiring would be there. You can unclip all the bulkhead wires and slip them out of their spots.

Auto Transport Service
Back