• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

transmission noise

lake71383

Local time
9:48 PM
Reaction score
Alright every buddy I'm finally getting stationed 1000 miles from home. I thinking of driving my wagon down I have put about 2000 miles on it with no problems. The only problem is the tranny makes a whining noise at take off and then it go away, is this something to worry about, or do you think it will be fine to drive it l000 mile. Thank for all the help.

I guess it's an automatic? Check the trans fluid. It might be low. Also if it's not, the filter might be clogged or collapsed. Usually when they whine, it's because they are not getting fluid.

sorry about that, it is a 727. I have already check fluid I also service it and adjust the bands to see if that would help.

Yeah it whines when taking off and then the second you fell it shift its gone.

Yeah it whines when taking off and then the second you fell it shift its gone.

That is a planetary noise, may not be worth worrying about, some are worse than others. The pinions on a 727 are quite large and pretty strong.

That is a planetary noise, may not be worth worrying about, some are worse than others. The pinions on a 727 are quite large and pretty strong.

I agree planetary noise. Drop the pan and look. When the planetary roller bearings go(very rare I've only ever seen two in 25 years) the pan will be filled with steel shavings. I'd check before the trip.
Doug

Yeah the 5R55E in my Ranger does it pretty loudly. It's fixin to ge gone through before long though.

I will pull the pan again and check, when I service it about 1000 miles ago it didn't any metal in it.

Auto Transport Service
Back