• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk lid panel

steve from staten island

Local time
4:15 AM
Reaction score
My 69 sport satellite panel has a decent amount of pitting. Now the thing is when i found some pictures of a new panel the inner parts of the panel had a brushed type of finish,not chrome and mine is all chrome. The outer edges of mine are not bad and im wondering what and how that middle finish is done. Any thoughts about this?

Steve, from what I have found out anything that has to do with refinishing the trunk panel is expensive. Have you looked at the cost of replacing? I've seen some on ebay before.

Thanks Guys. Here's what i figured out,i just shinned up the panel and its true what is said about the way they chromed stuff years ago. The chrome looks great but there is more pits then id like. The pitting is in the area of the panel were it is half moon'd shaped not on the flat edge areas. Im going to take it to a local chromer who does nice work. Im thinking if i let him strip the chrome off it,i can sand and fill the pits and let him rechrome it. Even if the pits were not filled,what the chroming did not fill,the piece would still look better than it does now.I cannot see the work costing much more than the price of having it chromed. The new ones i did see are going for around eight hundred new. Ones like mine around two to three hundred. I'll keep you all informed

Here is the problem with plating pot metal. Those pits are oxide and they need to be thoroughly cleaned and filled. It's not uncommon to have the plating blister because of a chemical reaction causing out gassing.

I had the trunk panel for my 67 RT replated and it took 3 attempts to get it right. With blasting all pits and drilling pits. With copper plating and silver solder still was grief.

We took the panel to NEL Metal Polishing in Philadelphia. They first glass beaded the Panel to remove damaged pockets. then drill out deeper holes. Repair damaged areas with Silver solder. Then grind polish and clean. The copper step tells it all.

Wow! Does not sound to encouraging. Is there any answer other than just biting the bullet and buying a new one? I love the way these companys like Muggy weld make it sound so easy

Steve, On my 69 Sport Satellite, the inner parts you are wondering about are done with textured silver argent. Also the inner fine line on Sport Satellites is black and not red as you see on GTX's. Mine also has some minor pitting, but only in the areas that will be filled and painted with the textured paint. Hope this helps.

Auto Transport Service
Back