• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

t's time! The last push to get my 440 440 wagon on the road!

GASSR

Local time
5:53 PM
Reaction score
So 10 years ago I bought my 63 440 wagon sight unseen from Idaho. My plan was to keep it pretty stock and just cruise it around ... who was I kidding! I have driven the car twice and in between house moves, job moves and major family events I have gradually updated it. In front, the stock steering and suspension has been replaced with QA-1 tubular items, and Borgeson power steering. The brakes were updated to 13" Wilwoods. The 318 Poly was retired in favor of a 440 (Edelbrock heads, 2x4 intake and carbs, Lunati cam and Dougs headers) I am using a March serpentine belt system with a mid mount compressor for the Vintage Air AC. Out back, I ditched the leaf springs and am using a 4 link system from Control Freak, suspending a Moser housed 8 3/4. My 727 was built by 7272Expert Keith and has a gear vendors. My next task is floor surgery to clear the overdrive. Still a lot to do but targeting year end to get it useable.
Exterior 440 motor in bay.jpg

Suspension QA1 front.jpg

Suspension Rear end initial fit.jpg

Nice setup there. I'm hoping to pick up an early wagon, 63-70, to replace my dually. It will look nice parked by my 65 Coronet 500 thats in build mode. What part of Fl are you in? Have relatives in P-Cola and Lutz.

I replaced the whole tunnel in my 65 for clearance around my GV. It was hard to cut up the reproduction floor I spent so much time to weld in!
Mike
IMG_2195.JPG
IMG_2200.JPG

Nice setup there. I'm hoping to pick up an early wagon, 63-70, to replace my dually. It will look nice parked by my 65 Coronet 500 thats in build mode. What part of Fl are you in? Have relatives in P-Cola and Lutz.
I'm in St Pete. Close to Lutz.

Thanks for sharing. That will give me an idea of how to shape the new tunnel
I just had a local sheet metal shop roll my chosen radius in my choice of metal gauge with extra hanging down to account for floor irregularities, trimmed in place after tack welding.
Mike

I replaced the whole tunnel in my 65 for clearance around my GV. It was hard to cut up the reproduction floor I spent so much time to weld in!
Mike
View attachment 1498492View attachment 1498494
Wow! Pristine floor. Mine has the original with a (not pretty)patch on the passenger side footwell. Car had heavy undercoat which seemed to have protected it well but is a royal pain to remove. I have cleaned it off the chassis rails but the rest can stay.

When I get the back end of the car wrapped up, I'll be tackling the passenger floor. I boogered it up making room for my GV unit plus since I'm using a 70 k-frame, engine/trans moved back 1.5". The floor had numerous cracks from before as the PO put in bucket seats but it was a bench car, so no stiffeners under the buckets which led to cracks. From there, I cut the floor up for SFC's and made a new upper t-bar/trans hoop to give the trans more room for airflow. With all those issues I'll being making new floor panels, plus trans tunnel, from scratch when I get to that area. This will be a great area for me to get re-aquainted with my metal forming machines and skills I learned 10 years ago. Its been 6 years since I've used them, so the floor will be a great area to get back in the groove.
IMG_2395.JPG

When I get the back end of the car wrapped up, I'll be tackling the passenger floor. I boogered it up making room for my GV unit plus since I'm using a 70 k-frame, engine/trans moved back 1.5". The floor had numerous cracks from before as the PO put in bucket seats but it was a bench car, so no stiffeners under the buckets which led to cracks. From there, I cut the floor up for SFC's and made a new upper t-bar/trans hoop to give the trans more room for airflow. With all those issues I'll being making new floor panels, plus trans tunnel, from scratch when I get to that area. This will be a great area for me to get re-aquainted with my metal forming machines and skills I learned 10 years ago. Its been 6 years since I've used them, so the floor will be a great area to get back in the groove.View attachment 1498695
Those seat brackets look like Scat universal brackets?
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back