• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

upper control arm stripped

RobsRR

Local time
2:33 PM
Reaction score
Hi I am new to the forum but have had my 71 road runner since the mid eighties. It is mostly original matching numbers 383 car. I have done 95 percent of the restoration of it myself over the years. I really enjoy it, street/show car.

So I wanted some opinions. In doing a disc brake upgrade, I decided to also change my upper control bushings. They had been changed twice before over the years. I ordered them through rock auto and they shipped the wrong ones in the correct Moog box. It wasn't untill after I installed them I notice they were the incorrect part. They had no identifying marks on them so I don't even think they were a Moog part. Anyway I took them out sent them back and put in the new correct Moog ball joint which I got from a much more consumer friendly supplier.
The problem. I stripped one of the control arms. Probably not made to be switched out so many times. I don't think I feel safe welding the ball joint in the stripped upper arm either.
Does anyone have any opinions on the reproduction (China made) replacements?
They come with ball joints installed. Are they good?

Welcome to the forum,

If you’re going to go after market go with qa1 or Reilly motorsports makes a set, they’re adjustable.

Look in parting out cars for sale section. A 73 Satellite is being parted.

Last edited:
I’d talk to @Moparparts . Don’s a well known parts guy here, dealing with oem stuff. a good guy and has always hooked me up with just what I need.

Welcome from West Virginia. If you are going to replace and you want it to be original, you will have to buy good used (moparmarks says he has some) aftermarket is going to all be tubular as far as I know. However, I have welded the ball joints in before and never had a failure. If it's done right, it will never come apart. Clearly, if you ever need to replace again, you have a problem but if you are like most of us and don't drive it every day then it will likely last forever. Just food for thought

Last edited:
I have good used ones.
I would need the passenger right side. My concern is that a used one will strip out again. Might consider for right price. Let me know what you want for it. Thanks Rob.

I can't remember who at the moment, but somebody is repoping them. If it was me though, I would buy a set of originals from moparmarks. He has nice high dessert parts - you won't be disappointed.

Get 45.00 ea or 80.00 a pair plus shipping. I pull the ball joint.
If your interested PM me your zip for a shipping quote and I'll get a pic.
Yes there are factory reproductions with the joints and bushings installed. They are around 100-130.00 a side.
They are made in China and have heard they have fitment problems but I have never had a use for them so have never tried myself.

Get 45.00 ea or 80.00 a pair plus shipping. I pull the ball joint.
If your interested PM me your zip for a shipping quote and I'll get a pic.
Yes there are factory reproductions with the joints and bushings installed. They are around 100-130.00 a side.
They are made in China and have heard they have fitment problems but I have never had a use for them so have never tried myself.
I wouldn't try the Chinese stuff, if you are going to buy, I would get Marks

I wouldn't try the Chinese stuff, if you are going to buy, I would get Marks

Agree, and I’m not just being anti-Chinese. The new Chinese stuff has no value added. Marks’s stuff will be rust free and in every way better for cheaper.

Agree, and I’m not just being anti-Chinese. The new Chinese stuff has no value added. Marks’s stuff will be rust free and in every way better for cheaper.
Ok that you guys. Just waiting to hear from him.

Here is some. They just have surface rust that will clean up good. The metal is still smooth with no pitting.
Ball joint area is clean. Joints came out real nice.

20171212_161251.jpg 20171212_161306.jpg

click on his user name and start a conversation

Auto Transport Service
Back