• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water pump pulley issues

Max lobato

Local time
8:05 AM
Reaction score
Guys please help
When it comes to my 318 i can not find a water pump pulley thay will line. I ordered one from year one and it was way too close to hitting the water pump found out that i needed a water pump pulley specific to ac motors. Took a shot in the dark and ordered off off ebay. That too does not fit right. The only pulley it lines up with is the crank

20170108_181903.jpg 1483929173454-934927054.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry jim typeo on my post. The issue seems to be with my pulley. Do you have a picture of your set up? My 318 is from 68. No plans to put the ac in at this time but i cant seem the correct pulley for my build.
Thanks
I bought this one for my 318 with AC.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3096570&cc=1081820&jsn=422

It seems like it fits correctly. It actually looks like it is a knockoff of the OEM pump I took off with the Chrysler part number filed off. The casting looks identical.

I have not finishing installing everything yet just to be clear.

Jim

Sorry jim typeo on my post. The issue seems to be with my pulley. Do you have a picture of your set up? My 318 is from 68. No plans to put the ac in at this time but i cant seem the correct pulley for my build.
Thanks

100% factory original setup.

DSC_0024.jpg
DSC_0148.jpg
DSC_0149.jpg
DSC_0151.jpg
DSC_0155.jpg
DSC_0156.jpg
DSC_0261.jpg
DSC_0264.jpg

Guys please help
When it comes to my 318 i can not find a water pump pulley thay will line. I ordered one from year one and it was way too close to hitting the water pump found out that i needed a water pump pulley specific to ac motors. Took a shot in the dark and ordered off off ebay. That too does not fit right. The only pulley it lines up with is the crank

View attachment 386140 View attachment 386141
It should line up with the crank pulley. Maybe your alternator is mounted wrong.

That pulley seems to be way too big. It his the water pump. The smaller one is a closer fit.... well at least it lines up with the crank. Doesnt seem to match up with much else. Maybe if i had a reference picture of where each belt went i could get a beter idea of if what i have will work

IMG_20170113_210444.jpg IMG_20170113_210334.jpg IMG_20170113_205013.jpg IMG_20170113_205332.jpg

That pulley seems to be way too big. It his the water pump. The smaller one is a closer fit.... well at least it lines up with the crank. Doesnt seem to match up with much else. Maybe if i had a reference picture of where each belt went i could get a beter idea of if what i have will work

Look at the second from the bottom of mine pictures. The Alternator, water pump, crank is the inner most. The crank, PS pump is next and the AC with the 2 idler pulleys and crank is the outermost.

The one you have is no where deep enough. It should line up with the inner crank pulley. The bigger one has the right depth but is too big in diameter. It needs to be what mine is 5.8" where you have the tape measure at dang near 7".

You don't have the right pulleys.

Look at the second from the bottom of mine pictures. The Alternator, water pump, crank is the inner most. The crank, PS pump is next and the AC with the 2 idler pulleys and crank is the outermost.

The one you have is no where deep enough. It should line up with the inner crank pulley. The bigger one has the right depth but is too big in diameter. It needs to be what mine is 5.8" where you have the tape measure at dang near 7".

You don't have the right pulleys.

It does not look deep enough... mine is about 3 3/4" deep.

Diameter looks perfect.

You can measure off the water pump flange face back 2 1/8" and see if that lines up with the rear of the inner most groove on the crank pulley.
What you think. I measured 3 3/4 is hitting the dampener

Auto Transport Service
Back