• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weld Thru Primer Question

drobertson

Local time
3:43 AM
Reaction score
So currently I have been replacing sone sheetmetal on my 1973 Charger. Using advice from others, when in making a "pable sandwich" I strip down the e-coat off the areas to be welded. I have been using the Napa brand TEC-nique zinc weld thru primer with great success.

However, I do have one question. Thsee come in an 18 oz. can, and I'll never use that much in one day, let along a week. After the can has been shaken up (like the rattle ball has broken loose and mixed it up) does it expire? Or can I keep on using it the following days? Thanks.

keep using it until it dies.
the only cans with a quick expiration are the epoxy primer ones.
you have to activate the 2 parts
thru a pin on the bottom of the can
and use it up in less then 24 hrs

Well darn I didn't even know that rattle can epoxy existed. Ok, thanks for the info about the weld thru stuff.

A little trick about two part epoxies, after mixing you can lengthen the life of the leftover by placing it in your refrigerator. Might get another day out of it.

How good is the rattle can epoxy compared to the real deal? When I get close to painting the car, I'll count my pennies and buy some actual spray guns and an 80 gal. compressor. But while I have the quarter panel off I might as well epoxy the inner structure.

Auto Transport Service
Back