• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What a difference 8 hours makes.....

Because I don't know , the posts are set in the ground like fence posts , then the frame is completely finished ?
Once all the building is complete the floor is then poured inside the structure like flooding a hockey rink that's been framed ?

Looks nice. What are the dimensions? (maybe i missed them..sorry)

Because I don't know , the posts are set in the ground like fence posts , then the frame is completely finished ?
Once all the building is complete the floor is then poured inside the structure like flooding a hockey rink that's been framed ?

Yes, that's the way post frame buildings are usually constructed.

Looks nice. What are the dimensions? (maybe i missed them..sorry)

This is an addition to my existing shop. Addition is 42' x 45', original shop is 28' x 45' so new overall is 70' x 45'.

Not yet Sonny, but coming soon!

Fire protection?

Need to look into that soon also.

Back when I was building barns. One customer had his sprayed with some kind off foam. Sprayed post framing and metal. Fire proofing and insulation in one shot.

Back when I was building barns. One customer had his sprayed with some kind off foam. Sprayed post framing and metal. Fire proofing and insulation in one shot.
Rigid spray foam. Just had my entire basement ceiling, floors joists, filled and several other walls and cavities.

Forgive the question....
Why would you place the concrete after the frame? Is this common in your area?
I've been a Carpenter Framer since 1986. I have never seen any job where concrete is placed to the inside of posts like yours appears. We always frame over the concrete and attach the frame to the slab via embedded bolts or straps.
I will admit that I may be out of the loop as to other ways of construction. Out here we have earthquake standards to comply with.
Here is my shop I built in 2006:

IMG_1167.JPG
IMG_1177.JPG
IMG_1196.JPG

That is normal on a post frame/pole barn style building. Frame it and pour the floor. Can pour before or after steel in put on the outside. Faster and cheaper for large buildings.

Edit to add many pole sheds have no concrete floor. Machinery storage and livestock housing usually dirt or crushed rock. Posts sunk below the frost line and set on concrete pads.

Last edited:
Forgive the question....
Why would you place the concrete after the frame? Is this common in your area?
I've been a Carpenter Framer since 1986. I have never seen any job where concrete is placed to the inside of posts like yours appears. We always frame over the concrete and attach the frame to the slab via embedded bolts or straps.
I will admit that I may be out of the loop as to other ways of construction. Out here we have earthquake standards to comply with.
Here is my shop I built in 2006:

View attachment 660588 View attachment 660589 View attachment 660590
So in California a 6x6 post would be anchored on top the concrete? Here agricultural buildings are built to different standards. A tornado would be more likely to take it out than an earth quake and they will flex alot before that happens. Post here have tornado anchors on them.

So in California a 6x6 post would be anchored on top the concrete? Here agricultural buildings are built to different standards. A tornado would be more likely to take it out than an earth quake and they will flex alot before that happens. Post here have tornado anchors on them.
Traditionally, the 6x6 would be attached to a 2x6 bottom plate/board with nails or a U shaped bracket. The bottom plate/board is secured to the concrete using threaded bolts that are placed in the wet concrete.
I am not in a rural area so there may be different codes. I have been accused of "over-building" things a few times only because this state is bonkers for structural standards.

Traditionally, the 6x6 would be attached to a 2x6 bottom plate/board with nails or a U shaped bracket. The bottom plate/board is secured to the concrete using threaded bolts that are placed in the wet concrete.
I am not in a rural area so there may be different codes. I have been accused of "over-building" things a few times only because this state is bonkers for structural standards.
My livestock barn is a pole type. 12x12 posts set in 3ft of concrete through gravel, with a full hayloft on top. It's 24x24. No concrete floor, gravel about 2 ft thick/deep. I'm having the gravel replenished this coming week after 4 years of use.

There is that term..."Frost Line"...
I am unfamiliar with the concept over here. Not bragging, I just have not had to deal with anything like that. No basements either.
The work looks great, please do not take my comments as insults. I do poke and jab people for fun but I try to NOT insult another mans craft.

There is that term..."Frost Line"...
I am unfamiliar with the concept over here. Not bragging, I just have not had to deal with anything like that. No basements either.
The work looks great, please do not take my comments as insults. I do poke and jab people for fun but I try to NOT insult another mans craft.
We all have standards to build by. Here the 2x6 bottom plate would not pass. Wind loads that and everything here in the ground has to be ground rated. To put post directly on concrete would require steel post anchor plates tied to the concrete on each and every post.

My livestock barn is a pole type. 12x12 posts set in 3ft of concrete through gravel, with a full hayloft on top. It's 24x24. No concrete floor, gravel about 2 ft thick/deep. I'm having the gravel replenished this coming week after 4 years of use.
First time reading this. Geez 12x12 post a bit over kill. Reread and with the overhead hay loft made since. Is the loft foor trussed or joist, center beam with columns?

First time reading this. Geez 12x12 post a bit over kill. Reread and with the overhead hay loft made since. Is the loft foor trussed or joist, center beam with columns?
2x12 Joist w center beams.

There's 250 bales of hay up there...too which you have to add 3 feet of wet snow on top.....

Auto Transport Service
Back