• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What determines where they mount turn signal indicators

oldmanmopar

Local time
2:02 AM
Reaction score
I have seen two different mounting locations on 1971 Roadrunner ,GTX, and Satellite. Turn indicators. Halfway back the fenders and center rear of the hood. We were discussing this in the shop yesterday.
I have cars here with two different locations. What determined the Mounting location on the assembly line when they were installed?

Air grabber cars could not have them in the center and mostly the cars with them in the center were the non-air grabber performance hoods. Does anyone know if they were installed on the fenders with the standard performance hood package? Thanks Steve

Steve 038.JPG 71-B-body Hood-01.jpg 6017254568_2de948732e_b.jpg

I have seen two different mounting locations on 1971 Roadrunner ,GTX, and Satellite. Turn indicators. Halfway back the fenders and center rear of the hood. We were discussing this in the shop yesterday.
I have cars here with two different locations. What determined the Mounting location on the assembly line when they were installed?

Air grabber cars could not have them in the center and mostly the cars with them in the center were the non-air grabber performance hoods. Does anyone know if they were installed on the fenders with the standard performance hood package? Thanks Steve

View attachment 389781 View attachment 389782 View attachment 389783
The RR bulge hood I put on my '72 Satellite had the turn signals in the middle of the hood, as you show in the picture. I would think it would be a difference between '71 and '72 hoods, but I never saw enough bulge hoods to substantiate that.

If they are not already there via the factory, don't put them on. Less is more. Like right-side mirrors, scoops and wings.

I was told once, that it had to do with the stripe package, which I suppose would be tied to the type of hood. Looking at the mid fender placement, this seems plausible. However, I know little to nothing about this model, only what one owner of a 71 told me. Do as you like, have you driven a car without a passenger mirror in traffic regularly? Sometimes progress is a good thing.

the answer to your question is no
air grabber and flat hood cars were on the fenders
and the standard runner hoods were only on the hoods..

the answer to your question is no
air grabber and flat hood cars were on the fenders
and the standard runner hoods were only on the hoods..
That is what I have been seeing. I have never seen a bulge hood car with them on the fender . I only saw air grabber and satellite hoods with them on the fender.

I now have three bulge hoods two 71's and a 72 Roadrunner GTX. Only one of the 71's had them on the hood but the others didn't come with any except for my Satellite which I pictured. My nicest bulge hood has them on the hood and my nicest fenders have them on the fenders. I guess if I use and Air grabber hood I'll leave them on the fenders. But that $2500 repo option is a little out of my reach for now. I will splurge for the louver and elastomere bumper option
I don't care what my car came with I am going to use any option I can find that I always wanted on a car . As if I am ordering the car for myself in 1971 at 16 yrs. old. The only option I won't have is the Hemi. Unless I hit the lottery.LOL

The only problem with a Hemi I could never leave it stock enough for the street. And I already have a car I can't drive far on pump gas . I am just hoping I don't expire before my Roadrunner order comes in at the dealer LOL.

i have seen a few cars out there with them mixed up
but don't forget we are talking about something that is about 45 yo
and many things can be mixed up and changed out over the years on these cars..

i have seen a few cars out there with them mixed up
but don't forget we are talking about something that is about 45 yo
and many things can be mixed up and changed out over the years on these cars..
Yeah I agree with that. I myself am guiltyt. I always loved adding options to cars that didn't come with them. I still do it today. Changing Autos to 4 spd. and more.

scan0009[1].jpg scan0008[2].jpg

On 3rd Chargers, the fender turn signal goes at the same height than the side marker bulb on fenders

Doesn't make sense get it on middle of fender or the hood. They are for the cars on the sides to warn them you will turn since they are not watching the tail lights. The more forward and outer they are, the most visible for them.

I'm amazed Plymouths got them on those locations!!

Last edited:
On 3rd Chargers, the fender turn signal goes at the same height than the side marker bulb on fenders

Doesn't make sense get it on middle of fender or the hood. They are for the cars on the sides to warn them you will turn since they are not watching the tail lights. The more forward and outer they are, the most visible for them.

I'm amazed Plymouths got them on those locations!!
I never understood it either . But all my 70 roadrunners have them built into the back of the hood. So I believe they are to warn the driver that the blinker is on. I am undecided where to put them. I am going to pick up a 72 roadrunner in parts this afternoon . It is a 4spd car that was stripped for whatever reason a long time ago. I cannot wait to see if it had them and where they are located. Wonder if it has to to with auto or 4spd.? Mopar did some weird things in 71. It was the era of hippies and weed. so who knows what they were thinking. How about putting them on at both locations. That would be a conversation at a mopar meet I am sure. I was one of those hippies. I could roll a joint while steering with my knee at any speed.

I went to look at the 72 Roadrunner parts today and the hood did not have them. I bought everything else but the hood and bumper . The hood was in decent shape but for surface rust on the underside.

00A0A_fKuS0PPzgLy_1200x900.jpg 00F0F_ambOfItitWP_600x450.jpg 00M0M_l7y1n8KTkaC_1200x900.jpg View attachment 390463 00Q0Q_h1bVrWtOglj_1200x900.jpg 00n0n_fVxCbhX6HWf_50x50c.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back