• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did the rich kids in your high school drive?

I graduated in 74. I drove a new Ford van The day I turned 16 , totally done and the envy of all the rich kids. Even the ones that were given cars, vet's, Cuda's, Roadrunners, Mach I, Nova SS, Z28. I had one thing they would never have , the respect of all. I bought mine and paid payments to the bank every month and worked my dick off for it and everyone knew it. Screw them. My parents cosigned for it and they taught me something no school could, hard work, pride! Here's the funny thing, I now have more than most of them. I miss my parents and I always hoped I made them proud. The world is a circle, what does around, comes around... LOL

Man hate to say it but I think I am one of the rich kids .
I drove my 74 charger (2003-4) but on the super hot days or it didn't want to run I bought myself a 2001 eclipse spider gt v6 5 speed !
Damn nicest car in parking lot ! So nice I was able to sneak into teacher parking and never got cought! Hell it was nicer then what the teachers had ! God that was a sweet little number ! I paid dearly each month for that car !
Next best thing was a nice 89 Corvette!
A 73 Sebring fully restored showed up here and there but it was a bondo bucket ! Kid was a dick too he didn't Know anything about cars !

My dad got me a 1966 Mustang fastback when I was 16. 289 auto. I was free labor at the cattle ranch every weekend and had to tend to the cattle every day before and after school. Especially bad in the winter. I had to break the ice on the pond in the mornings and give them hay bales and feed pellets every evening. 50-pound bags and the cattle loved them so much they'd be stepping all over my boots to get some feed. It reminds me of them when I feed our three Newfoundlands.

Yup, Ag work is hard demanding stuff... And you can't slack, it needs to be done or bad things happen... It's getting harder to find people who are willing to do the hard work that feeds everyone....

ln school, I remember the VWs, the Vegas, Pintos and Darts. There were a few 67-69 Camaros, some Mustangs and Road Runners.
One guy I knew took his brother's '69 Charger out one day and peeled out so much, he wore the tires out in one afternoon. Rumor was that the tires were only a couple of months old.

Speaking of farm work before and after school story....When I was a senior, my brother and I each took loaded grain trucks to school, dumped them at the elevator after school and drove home empty..I drove a 68 c50 chevy with a 327....my brother drove a 54 dodge with a 318 poly...baby hemi had blown up and been replaced. We did what most kids did on the way home..raced them. ( not real exciting) 54 Dodge cleaned my clock...must have has some low gears at 80 it sounded like it was going to blow up. Got more attention with those sitting the HS parking lot then driving a car for some reason. I tried to explain to a pretty blond girl why I was driving a loaded grain truck.. she couldn't understand kept asking why.
....she never did get it..but that was just fine with me!

A friend of mine in Chicago always talks me about this 72 Charger sitting in a garage since 1980. It has a flip front front end done pro. Original 383 which was built back when it was drove for a short time by a rich kid who permanently lost his license. This car had the best of everything available at the time. I guess his drinking and drug use got the better of him. Even money will not buy this guy his driving privileges back. So every time my old friend see's him he offers to buy it but no luck so far.

Graduated in 1991.

Can't say for sure who the rich kids were but we had a few with new cars that the parents bought. 89-91 Mustang GT and convertible. Same style Camaro, a few new Firebirds, one was a GTA that was fast. One kid had a new Alfa Romeo. We also had a few with older, nice rides. 70 Chevelle, buddy had his dads 68 Charger, 78 Nova with a built motor.

Back in my hs days no one or very few had cars. They drove what ever their parents had. I can assure you it wasn’t a muscle car or even anything fancy. It was just after hs that everyone started buying cars - and believe me it ran the gamut of the muscle car era. I graduated in 71 so most of us had 65-70 era muscle. Brilliant cars that everyone on here would envy. I had the 68 GTX that I just recently sold. No one else owned their cars for very little long except me. Everyone up there in Mpls still knows my car because I kept it so long - the new owner is one of my best friends. It’s now a legacy car. His son will own it won day. That’s what I wanted.

When I was in high school, there were some nice rides in the lot. I went to that school from 78 to 82. There were a lot of usec and handed down muscle cars. There were a few 68 to 72 Chevelle SS cars,a few GTO s one custom painted 67 comes to mind. A few Camaro SS cars too. One really nice 65 Nova SS 6 cylinder car that a kids grandfather bought new,that was mint,and the kid beat it to death. A 69 Chevelle SS 396 4 speed car that ended wrapped around a pole. Another 70 Chevelle SS 396 4 speed car that the kid gave his keys to another kid to do some work on the car in auto shop, came in on the hook when the kid took it for a ride and blew it up! There were some Mopars, my 70 Charger R / T SE, my mom sold her 70 Charger R / T SE to a friend of mine, and it was there. A 340 Duster,a 318 68 Charger that was mint,a couple 73 Chargers, and a 69 Road Runner. There were Firebirds,Mustangs, and a couple 442s too. The rich kids had Trans Ams and Z28 Camaros, but they weren't fast,except for one 74 455 Formula Firebird that was pretty stout.one rich kid had a brand new pale yellow T bird. One kid was doing donuts in the parking lot in a 70 Monte Carlo, and the smoke was so thick he didn't see the Police Cruiser pull up,until he pulled out of the smoke. We had lots of trucks and custom vans too. We had a couple tragedies too. One kid died when another kid went joyriding in a kids 59 T bird,and crashed,the driver lived,but another kid who went with him died. Another kid in a 68 Camaro SS convertible was doing a holeshot in the circle where the buses dropped off everyone, he hit some sand and hit a handicapped girl before crashing into a brick column. The girl survived. Another guy was welding floors into a 66 Cutless convertible, and caught the car on fire,he drove it out of the shop,and it burned to the ground!

I have a relative who married a girl whose parents were very well off. Her parents home would best be described as a estate located next to a country club golf course. It was a large family
I went to they’re engagement party at this home. What struck me was besides the tennis court in the backyard, the full time maid and everything else that comes with wealth and privlage, none of the children of driving age had new or fancy cars.
In fact as one sister arrived late at the party it was due to the fact she was working at her after school job. Pumping gas at a local service station.
It’s not being rich but more like instilling values and principles in your children.

Last edited:
One of the wealthy kids at HS dad bought him a really nice gold 70 gto with keystones...he tore the hell out of it. His girl friend was sitting on the console and bumped the shifter into low at 120 . Grenading the engine...literally exploded...dropped valves on both banks,...a connecting rod took out the front brake line and damaged the frame. Had to be a ride. Especially for the girl on the console...lucky they didn't crash. The kids dad got his check book out and fixed it....no values instilled doing that.

Last edited:
Slammed mini trucks with stereo’s worth more than the truck. Always seemed to get stuck on the speed bumps in the parking lot.

Graduated in 86 from a public school so we really didn't have 'rich" kids.

I remember one girl who drove a one year old camaro in 1984.
We had it in auto shop one day and the ash tray was literally overflowing onto the console and floor.

Most parents with any kind of money bought their kids a new-ish cutlass or celica.
there were a few new-ish chevettes and novas and a couple fairmonts.
I don't remember any new-ish mustangs.

One kid drove a black 2 door 1980 caprice. One of the newer cars in the parking lot.
His dad was a Harley guy and had put corvette rally wheels on it.

Another kid bough himself a new 1984 fiero. Later I found out how.
He worked in a shoe store after school and on the weekends he was a repo man!
I went on a couple of jobs with him but he was hard to track down and you had to be in the right place at the right time. You'd never suspect what he did from his shoe salesman fashions.

Two and three years ahead of me were the Kammer brothers, who's dad owned a very Mopar machine shop.

The older one drove a bronze 70 Hemi Challenger, and the younger one drove a B5 69 440 six pack Super Bee.

Class of 77' Baby

everyone drove muscle cars even the rich kids

even US poor working slubs, all had muscle cars
quite a few 68-70 RR's, GTX's & my 68 Charger R/T in the parking lot
from the Georgetown/Upcountry crowd
some just far more muscle that others :poke:

some of the more affluent kids had newer 4x4's
It was a smaller & rural HS, not many sports cars or luxury cars
even from the richer kids from Eldorado Hills

most of the Losers Crowd, all drove Mustangs or mommy's car

well my chiropractor bought this ride for his twin boys last year of high school , and let them drive it as a kid would . breaking parts left and right . it was a 70 ss chevelle 454 ls6 4spd narrowed 12bolt 4.56's on a loc'r , ladder bars with coil over rear suspension . and it was chrom'd n custom paint'd from one end top n bottom to the other . an old show winner from the late 80's but if their grades slipped he would sell it . they watch him sell their sister's car . it had a wild 8k solid cam , vertex mag and a giant dominator holley carb on . so i de-turned it to be streetable and added some handling and width to the front rims and rubber . i bought it from him after the boys went on to collage and sold it again , and it sold again , and again . i believe its down under now , a guy from texas . wanted it when i had it in reno for hot august nights . but didn't . he contacted me after i had sold it and followed its path . trying to purchase it .
P5303537[1].JPG
P5303538[1].JPG

oh ya , dad replaced that 70 ss with a brand new yellow z06 vette . then it was off to driving school with the vette . my dad bought me a wrecked 65 austin healey sprite that we fitted up . then i sold it , he got the money , i got my bikecycle out again , until the 66 sat commando car 383 4spd 8 3/4 limited slip come along , oh ya it was wrecked too . but it made me what i'm today , building up wrecks and driving them , lol .

most of the rich kids use to get dropped off by the chaffeur! there was one guy I hung with to go shoot pool who had a 72 sebring plus 383 4 speed and then traded for a 66 impala rag 327/4 speed. not much else other than the asian guy with Datsun 510 and the italian guy with the fiat spider!
I was going out with an older working girl that had a 71 split bumper rally sport. she use to park outside where she new my last class was with a mini skirt on and stand by the car waiting for me! all the hound dogs would be drooling up the windows. come to think of it no wonder I rarely went to school unless there was an exam! Most of the high school chicks wouldn't talk to me because I was from other side of the tracks!

Mid 80-s grad year here.

Rich kids? Well, BMW's of course! Or brand spankin new IROC-Z's.
Boy did they hate my 318 Duster. I guess it really sucks that the brand new car MOM & DAD bought you just got shown up by a nearly 15 year old LOUD car.
:rofl:

Auto Transport Service
Back