• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the best way to quit your job? Any advice?

It is but sometimes in some industries, you can float around and get work almost anywhere. In the 80s, construction was like that here.

It is but sometimes in some industries, you can float around and get work almost anywhere. In the 80s, construction was like that here.
Yeah, it's that way here with us too...even though I'm "management" I keep my skills sharp and my ticket active. There's freedom in knowing I can leave at anytime (or if the business goes sideways) and go right back to work doing what I know for great pay and benefits. I just didn't want to say the 'U' word as that usually starts a fight around here...but that is one of the nice things about it.

Lot of good posts/advice MO. Most if not, all of us had **** jobs and shittier due to dipshit bosses. I did. My first mistake was not following my gut instincts…more than once. The irresistible urge, as was with me, is to have the satisfaction telling ‘em to shove it in as many ways as you can think of. But, then I thought more about saying squat leaves the ****-wads less satisfied and the saying don’t burn bridges has application.

There were times when finding decent jobs were scarce. Tough when in a crap job. Always thought having another job on deck was important and followed that. Not sure as things are right now this is any game breaker. As posted, so many employers are begging for employees. If your company policy says anything about giving notice, I’d go along with it. If you find another job, get agreement on when you can start to give you time off, if it’s something you can afford. Employers are restricted from giving out info to prospective employers by laws. Pretty much, yep he worked here in said job from x-date to x-date. Not permitted to start a soapbox about their opinions about the employee. Been this way for decades to avoid possible lawsuits.

Rehearse what you want to say during interviews as they WILL ask why you left your last job. Telling them it was a **** job with shitty bosses/co-workers – NOT a good thing to say. Could say something like I acquired good experience and skills working there; but I didn’t see any opportunities to advance. And if having a good performance record, include that…good attendance, any job kudo’s, etc. Something likely you’ll be asked about. Cookie-cutter HR questions. Google what job interview questions are likely to be asked and prep accordingly.
Good luck pard.

Rehearse what you want to say during interviews as they WILL ask why you left your last job.
No, not always. It absolutely depends on the industry and how desperate the employers are to hire skilled workers.
I don't recall ever being asked this when I looked for work. Most construction crews look for qualified help with no regard to their past. We know that some guys are floaters that work for whoever has something going on, then leave for another project once their current one is done.

No, not always
No disagreement. Was referencing the years in mfg and ins where this was the usual drill. This has been 20 years ago now. Had hired many people and was used as a reference up until a few years ago with people that worked for me at some time after starting my biz. While corporate HR would tell me what I can say and not, when I had good people, I’d make mention of it…when they were ****-wads, nothing more than yes they worked here, their job, start and end date. Lol, come on, can ya tell me more? Sorry, that’s all I’m permitted to tell you.

If you plan on leaving for a better paying job. 2 weeks.
If your boss is a total ahole like mine and takes advantage of your skill. And lies through his teeth. Look for that better job with out further ado Then walk away from the seedy business

Even if things are rosy at your job, keep an ear open for the broom or a Greyhound bus. You need to be aware if someone is trying to toss you under the bus. People can change without a moments notice or suddenly contract PMS.

No disagreement. Was referencing the years in mfg and ins where this was the usual drill. This has been 20 years ago now. Had hired many people and was used as a reference up until a few years ago with people that worked for me at some time after starting my biz. While corporate HR would tell me what I can say and not, when I had good people, I’d make mention of it…when they were ****-wads, nothing more than yes they worked here, their job, start and end date. Lol, come on, can ya tell me more? Sorry, that’s all I’m permitted to tell you.
When I worked in corporate trucking, I hung out at conferences with all my competitors. We had a secret alliance formed over many years, in which a member who had a driver jump ship to another carrier would provide an accurate description of work history to his counterpart at the other company, bypassing HR departments at both places. We all offered pretty much the same pay, benefits, and working conditions, so folks who jumped ship were often problems, bailing out one step ahead of the ax.

This was 25 years ago, and is certainly not the case today. It sure was helpful in not hiring bad actors. It's also a cautionary, and true tale, that HR policy of employment dates only can be bypassed. Better to have the next job locked in, then to be surprised later when something unexpected reaches the next employer.

When I worked in corporate trucking, I hung out at conferences with all my competitors. We had a secret alliance formed over many years, in which a member who had a driver jump ship to another carrier would provide an accurate description of work history to his counterpart at the other company, bypassing HR departments at both places. We all offered pretty much the same pay, benefits, and working conditions, so folks who jumped ship were often problems, bailing out one step ahead of the ax.

This was 25 years ago, and is certainly not the case today. It sure was helpful in not hiring bad actors. It's also a cautionary, and true tale, that HR policy of employment dates only can be bypassed. Better to have the next job locked in, then to be surprised later when something unexpected reaches the next employer.
I have become aware that business owners in industries often have informal alliances, and share such information.
So it’s smart to avoid burning bridges if possible.

Tell them the whole truth & nothing but the truth
tell them if you like, that you don't like the task/work or people if it sucks
best is, to be honest
I know I had always appreciated it...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

you may enjoy this

I quit a job I worked between contracts when times were tough
I needed more $$, Lisa had recently passed, I felt like I needed a change too
I did what I had to...
So I worked for a cranes/aerial equipment & utility truck builder,
P.U.E.C. Sacramento
as a new build boss, engineer for new build contracts...
I did all the bids, and drawings & ran new construction/fabrication side of the shop...
(mostly building for cities & municipalities, counties or state depts, CHP etc.,
all of which would frown on his embezzlement
)
1st time ever, P.U.E.C. during/in my 2 years stint,
as the newbuild engineer/foreman
they made well over a million profit (more than 2 million, in the 2nd) each year
on my side of the shop, I was salary & put in way more time than I had to
I opened & closed the place, sometimes 6-7 days a week, 12-14 hrs a day...
I'm loyal as hell (a good dog) when treated right, paid right...
Vengeful Mo-fo when I'm not...

The office/sales dept./engineering dept. all begged me to stay,
I couldn't & wouldn't...

The Gen. manager 'Gene' (Eugene 'asshole' Lippincott) of P.U.E.C.
in the Sacramento branch
(now out of business, they sold to the competitor Terex, replaced all mngs)
He was embezzling,
him taking petty cash, out of our (new builds) budget
& using his Gen. Mngrs position to get all kinds of stuff for his personal boat,
($50k bassboat) his personal vehicles 4x4 Tahoe & a Jeep,
my guys basically built, on shop time, thru the company...
All on my side of the shops funds/accounts, right off of my bottom line...
(I got paid bonuses when we profited, over a certain level)
I was pissed...

Then him having the gal for me, to sign for that **** (looks like I'm doing it)
the parts mngr wouldn't the shop mngr wouldn't, sales dept. mngr wouldn't
Then me having to account/justify for that **** !!!
I was having none of that ****...

I called the owner, that day when I got home had a long honest talk
he was up in the Portland branch, never around in Sacramento shop "rarely"
& I told him exactly what was going on...
That it had been happening for a while too, him having others sign for it etc.
& that it affected my ends bottom lines/my pay/bonuses too...
I don't take being played well...

There was other kinky 'booking ****', him taking hrs from one build
& applying them to others
so he could get bigger bonuses on his deals :BangHead:

Eugene/Gene was an old fishing buddy, so he just got a slap on the hand
made to pay it back, but nothing happened...
The next morning the Shop manager Garth, said;
Gene then wanted to punish me, cut my pay...

I went out in a blaze of glory...
Head held high, no regrets...

I walked into his office slammed/shut the door behind me & went off...
I threw a few F-bombs & a--holes, while I was heated... :cursin:
Right directed in Gene's face, him sitting down at his desk
me standing over him & I told him 110% what I thought of him...
Spineless, white-collar crimes hack...

Then, what the consensus of the shop was about 'him embezzling'
everyone knew it & him taking advantage of the situation...

Then, when I walked thru the shop door
I got a standing ovation from my side of the shop
(I was sort of proud, they honored me like that)
they heard it all thru the walls & me yelling/cursing
all the work in the shop stopped, even the 'service side' of the shop
while I confronted (torched) Gene...

One on my buddies I got a job there, quit the next day too...
I didn't know until one of the office ladies called me at home & told me
they all stood up to Gene... (said; I did a good thing, gave them the guts)
I didn't want him to quit, he was doing well, but he said;
'he had to go out of principle'

I later gave him a job as a laborer, working for me at the dealerships...

I had still had my contactors license & the economy was going good again...

I could get work in construction, I was only still staying at P.U.E.C.
out of loyalty toward the owner, who gave me the job when I needed it
& he didn't give a ****, so I didn't anymore either...

I thanked all the salespeople & the girls in the office...
I had a good working relationship with...
Then apologized for my language, to all of them, shook hands
& said my goodbyes...
I got all my tools & my box, my helmets, gloves cords lifted in my truck,
tied it all off & left in a blaze of glory...

One of the best feelings ever, in my whole working career...
Telling the M-fer the truth & nothing but the truth...

I went back to construction & the dealership facility management stuff...
Started another Golf business/pro-shop, near home & never looked back...

if that helps any,
but sometimes it is completely worth it...
applause-standing.gif

I have become aware that business owners in industries often have informal alliances, and share such information.
So it’s smart to avoid burning bridges if possible.
I never was fond of firing someone, especially after I got to know them, family, and such. My old boss (boss of my boss at one time) relished canning people. Posted in another thread about that POS, and a guy’s job I saved only to have him stab me in the back later leading to my departure from the company. Occasions where I could have fired people; but sometimes just a kick in the *** was enough.

But, there was one guy I got to despise having done a mild imitation of Santos. My fault as he was highly recommended by a biz friend so overlooked some things I shouldn’t have. Cut him a lot of slack with his lying bullshit leading to bad vibes for me. His ineptness finally led me to ask him about verifying his resume. He basically said I had my chance and that train left the station! Was I pissed. Wanted to send him to the exit door immediately, but corporate HR required a long paper trail, basically his **** ups had to continue to nuke his ***. Every other day my boss said ya can him yet? Ask HR, I can’t, they want more to fire him. That day finally arrived and my seldom relishing letting someone go, walking him out the door was a celebration.

You’re right about possible and existing ‘connections’ btw employers. When that dipshit used me as a reference, the prospective employer called me, guy I knew. As I was going through what I could say, mixed in btw every few words I said…don’t…do…it.

Unfortunately with the lawyer situation we can't just say the guy is a screwup. So the key question to ask when phoning a reference is "would you hire him again". That question cuts through the B.S. and was all I would ask when phoning references.

I don't know how it works up in the northern hemisphere....but down here your 'Notice period' is the same length of time as your 'Pay cycle'

If you're weekly paid, you only have to give one week's notice, fortnightly paid is 2 weeks notice, monthly paid......one month's notice.
That's if you want to play hard and by the rules, and depends upon your position in the company.

Get a new gig lined up first - cover your ***. In today's market you just never know if anyone is looking for your skillset, and if they are, are they willing to pay for it?

I'd ask for a private meet with management. Privately/politely give notice. 2 weeks is standard. If they ask you why, offer an exit interview on your last day, with that manager only. If they say "just go"...be prepared for that. Be polite. Don't burn the bridge.

The last job I left was in sales (motorcycles/ATVs/side-by-sides); I had a floor manager who was an ex salesperson. Managers sat on a "tower" a couple steps above the sales floor; not a whole floor above, but a couple steps up. Taller...obvious. Customers would usually go to them first because they were visible. This guy, would routinely take sales up's...and sell them.

Salespeople make money when they sell.

Managers, make money no matter WHO sells.

This guy was taking money out of everyone's pocket. "Oh, they're old customers of mine" was his go-to excuse. Great, dude...but, you're not a salesman anymore. Hand them off to someone who IS a salesman!!

I quit - politely, and personally - with the owner himself. Told him why. Didn't call anyone names, didn't get shitty, but told him straight up "I'm losing money, and as an owner, you should find a way to fix it".

I still get along great with the owner, and every time he asks me to come back, I ask "did you get rid of Chad?" he just shakes his head. He knows.

But - don't burn the bridge.

I put my bosses on notice several weeks back that I was going to retire this year. And they knew it was coming. Just not for sure when.
Filled out my SS and ASRS applications yesterday. So gave my director ( aka THE head boss ) the word today, it's now official. Dec 22 is my last day. 5 months from Today

My lone piece of generic job advice:
Don't kill yourself for the corporation - they probably won't even send flowers to your funeral.

My lone piece of generic job advice:
Don't kill yourself for the corporation - they probably won't even send flowers to your funeral.
That’s sound advice, wish I knew this earlier in my career than I did going above and beyond, longer work hours, spending time away from the family traveling for biz. All that ends up meaning dogshit as things may change, including the personality of a CEO who get’s peeved cuz you tell him what he doesn’t want to hear (even though he said don’t tell him what he wants to hear, tell it like it -is), mergers, buy-outs, etc.

What’s the saying? Look out for number 1 – first as nobody else will. Something like this..

Just come into my office, sit down and be honest. I just might hire your sorry *** back when that "better" gig doesn't work out!

My fantasy job quit is to have my English speaking servant approach boss, or HR rep. Slap them with white glove. Then speak. "Please excuse my impertinence. But on behalf of Cojohnso. Your operations no longer amuses my master's interests. Thus will be separating all affiliations. And here is a small token of his esteem.

And good day to you.

closeup-of-a-butler-wearing-a-tuxedo-holding-a-silver-tray-and-an-D04DX0.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back