• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What winch are you using on your car trailer?

1. You know this how exactly?
2. I submit, the added hung safety item rarely if ever slips off a broken cable, mainly because the broken cable when it "snaps', almost never moves in a straight-line promoting slippage but actually "curls" and grabs whatever is hung from it, since the hung piece becomes a mass and aero discontinuity in the uniform cable when moving in recoil upon breakage.

It doesn't slip off the cable at all.

I've had several regular towels slip off from wind or just bad balance.

I've never had a cable break.

It doesn't slip off the cable at all.

I've had several regular towels slip off from wind or just bad balance.

I've never had a cable break.
So now we are discussing two different scenarios keeping any safety accessory on a cable when in casual use and in place when the cable actually fails. The first seems easy to resolve and the second I repeat is likely not an issue and somewhat self correcting.

So now we are discussing two different scenarios keeping any safety accessory on a cable when in casual use and in place when the cable actually fails. The first seems easy to resolve and the second I repeat is likely not an issue and somewhat self correcting.

...unless the dry towel slips off from a gust of wind right before the cable breaks.

...unless the dry towel slips off from a gust of wind right before the cable breaks.
Or it catches fire, or a dog grabs it, or an eagle flies away with it, etc. a piece of duck tape, a larger towel, or a simple tied square knot and a glass of water applied should get the focus back on track of the real issues here.

...or it enters an inter-dimensional rift caused by the wound cable vibrating at a frequency that coincides with string theory "standing wave" perception.

1713448219310.png

...or it enters an inter-dimensional rift caused by the wound cable vibrating at a frequency that coincides with string theory "standing wave" perception.

View attachment 1648675
So, just use a larger piece of duck tape, what is the problem?
Besides not sure what the significant amplitude of a cable can be achieved when nearing its breaking point that applies here.

I actually discovered an extremely similar sound about 1980 by banging an empty aluminum bleacher bench.
Thought sure I had discovered "how they did it". Even made an effort to show all my friends.

I was close...and decades before it was general knowledge.

Auto Transport Service
Back