• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When pets die.....

BigCountryMopar

Local time
6:54 AM
Reaction score
It’s rough. I had no real idea how rough until today. And yesterday. I see people talking about how hard it is to lose a pet and never really got it. Don’t get me wrong I love animals. Hate to see them harmed. But I had no idea the emotional toll it takes on you to lose one. I’ve buried two in as many days. It’s been hell. Last night my Pygmy goat belle died. She’d been acting strange and I came home from work to find her dead. I was saddened unbelievably. I consoled myself and buried her. Well today my parents dog (I picked him out 13 years ago) had to be put down. His kidney function was 25% and nothing could be done. I went with my dad to the vet to have him put down. It was only the third time in my life seeing my dad cry. He loved that dog. I helped dig his grave. That’s two in two days. It was way more emotional. But both have left me drained emotionally. It’s been a rough couple days. I would’ve never believed animals can have a hold on you like this. Sorry just wanted to share.
Brandon

I think that we get invested in them because we are the superior species and we feel compelled to care for them. Sort of like being a Parent or caretaker.
In 2010, we had to have Raja put down, a 13 year old Rottweiller/Border collie mix. Cancer came on and got in his bones. This was my first experience taking a pet in for the final visit. What a strange, painful experience.
Time does help but the memory will remain.
IMG_3004.JPG

that is the one thing I dread about owning 4 dogs . sometimes it's sad to think one day my buddies will be gone. make the good memories now and enjoy the time with them .

it's the worst...... but the thousands of great days keep us coming back for more

All we can do is give them the best life we can full of love and care. I remember losing my first dog. I hurt so bad for months. I still get a tear when I think about him.That rainbow bridge gets me every time.

3-IMG_6315.jpg 4-IMG_6317.jpg IMG_0167.JPG _DSC7756.JPG

I had to put Hondo down. Three days before Christmas. He fell down the basement steps in the middle of the night. They wanted 5k to 7k to fix him. He couldn't walk. His rear was paralyzed. It cost 5k just to find out what was wrong. He was 6 yrs old. Great Dog.
20170520_131925-1.jpg

We have a female Jack Russel who will be 19 years old if she makes it till August. Always been a house dog with my wife giving the best of care and plenty of exercise. Never got table scraps. Annie is blind, no hearing , and arthritic. She can still walk- sometimes better than other times. Many times does not make it out the dog door to eliminate, then she walks in it and tracks. We pick her up and take her outside several times a day. We can not go anywhere over night for fear of the mess that would be made. She doesn't seem to be in pain. I dare not suggest we put her down --- but what is the right thing to do? The final day will be mighty tough around here........MO

I am too sorry to hear of your loss, it truly sucks!

***Sorry, this is long... didn't think it would be but that's how much my pet meant to me.***

Thanks to a girlfriend I had years ago, I got hooked on parrots. I wanted a larger one, and we came across an Umbrella Cockatoo. I got a quick education on parrot care and personalities, and truly lucked out with the parrot that I picked up from a couple that sold him pretty cheap. They were abusing and neglecting him, so he wanted nothing to do with people, didn't want to be held, hissed and lunged at everyone. He was beautiful, no plucked feathers, and extremely quiet - very rare.

We "rescued" him and took him home and within about three days we realized we had an amazingly loving animal on our hands. I named him Rocky because the way his white feathers laid across his back reminded me of the rock candy we used to eat as kids. He had been hand tamed (he was a wild caught parrot someone had tried to smuggle into this country), and he had a horrible diet, thanks to the previous owners. He was very affectionate, loved being 'cuddled' and for the 19 years we were together he was 'audible' maybe a couple times a year, and never bit anyone.

For a few years, he and I did educational stage shows at County Fairs, malls, schools, etc. We taught people about care and nutrition, about temperaments, habits, and all the horrible things that people do with parrots. I used to say, "There are two types of bird lovers: people who genuinely love birds, and people who love the attention they get from owning a bird." This bird, as silly as it sounds, was like my kid. Everywhere I went, I made sure he was a priority. Wherever I moved, his cage was always in the main living area, no exceptions... he got interaction all the time, but was never dependent on it.

I took him to a bird show once and learned never to do that again. It was just a local club show, and he won best in show, and a couple ribbons, but he was my pet more than anything, so after one show he was retired from the show circuit. Birds are treated horribly at shows, but that's another story.

Rocky was smart, and he knew when I was in a bad mood - I could tell he was more alert - and it helped calm me down so that I wouldn't make him feel uncomfortable. He actually became part of my logo for my graphics business... he was a huge part of my life. When I bought my home, I bought him a new home, too. It was a huge stainless steel cage and he loved the space and climbing up the play gym I attached at the top.

In the late 2000s, he got an eye injury somehow when I wasn't home and developed cataracts. He went blind, basically, and while he could see shadows or movement he couldn't see anything right in front of him. I worried about his loss of vision more than he did - to him, I simply turned out the lights but to me I feared the worst. But it never stopped him and while he did become more dependent on me caring for him, he never lost a beat and became even more affectionate towards me. If I came home and threw something down on the counter it startled him because he didn't know what it was, and I had to be more aware of doing that.

In May of 2011, he had another seizure - he was prone to seizures and had a few over the years. But this time it was severe, he squawked once and alerted me there was a problem. I ran to him and he was hanging upside down from his perch and fading quickly. I grabbed him and within seconds he was lifeless, and died in my hands. He was just a bird, though, not a real person, right? No... he was family. I cried like a baby for days.

For a few years now, I still have the habit of thinking I'm startling him when I come in and make a noise (I live alone, so nobody here to startle). I still have his cage, dismantled and stored in various parts of the house. And I still miss that little white puff of feathers. People ask if I'll get another, but I can't.... I was so spoiled by him that if I don't find one with the same temperament I'm pretty sure I won't like it. They're known to be loud, destroyers, and dependent - but Rocky was the polar opposite.

So, yeah, I love animals and I got more emotional over my loss of a pet than I thought I would. If you care to watch, here's a video I had put together one year that kind of describes how pets "really need us"... enjoy. -

wheresrocky.jpg

Very sorry to hear this. My vet was kind enough to come to my house to put down my beagle. I wanted him home where he was happy when he left. I've had to put down 2 on 3 years, the very hardest thing I've ever done.

I'm sorry for your loss. We keep livestock but they are really our pets. ALL are rescue animals or born here on Leaping Donkey Farm. If our Collie, Ceana ( key-na) makes it to July she will be 15. She is doing well and still eats, drinks, plays with us and the other dog, rides in the car etc. She has been having issues with climbing the stairs and now waits on the rug at the bottom until we come back down. Other than that she's in great shape still. We have lost 4 cats, 3 dogs over the years. I feel your pain pal, really do. Take care.

Understand fully how you feel, and heartfelt condolences. Even after all these years, I am never ashamed to say I cried, and still do, for the loss of a loved companion.

Very sorry for your loss!

These are real pet owners.....I would much rather come home and see them in a deep sleep then taking them to vet and putting them down.....My last vet experience was miserable...not because of the vet but all the staff loved my Jakie and the whole damn place was crying....then you have to drive home after that it sucked....

Sorry for your loss.

Pets are like family members. My wife and I have lost three great male German Shepherds since we got married 38 years ago and it never gets any easier when you lose another family member. We now have a female German Shepherd going on two and hope to have her for many great years to come.

Sorry for your loss. It's the worst as they are part of family. We had a black Lab that was 15 years 6 weeks old that we had to put down years back. We had her BEFORE kids. She was our furry daughter and the only dog our kids knew. Tough for everyone. I still miss her.....

***Sorry, this is long... didn't think it would be but that's how much my pet meant to me.***

Thanks to a girlfriend I had years ago, I got hooked on parrots. I wanted a larger one, and we came across an Umbrella Cockatoo. I got a quick education on parrot care and personalities, and truly lucked out with the parrot that I picked up from a couple that sold him pretty cheap. They were abusing and neglecting him, so he wanted nothing to do with people, didn't want to be held, hissed and lunged at everyone. He was beautiful, no plucked feathers, and extremely quiet - very rare.

We "rescued" him and took him home and within about three days we realized we had an amazingly loving animal on our hands. I named him Rocky because the way his white feathers laid across his back reminded me of the rock candy we used to eat as kids. He had been hand tamed (he was a wild caught parrot someone had tried to smuggle into this country), and he had a horrible diet, thanks to the previous owners. He was very affectionate, loved being 'cuddled' and for the 19 years we were together he was 'audible' maybe a couple times a year, and never bit anyone.

For a few years, he and I did educational stage shows at County Fairs, malls, schools, etc. We taught people about care and nutrition, about temperaments, habits, and all the horrible things that people do with parrots. I used to say, "There are two types of bird lovers: people who genuinely love birds, and people who love the attention they get from owning a bird." This bird, as silly as it sounds, was like my kid. Everywhere I went, I made sure he was a priority. Wherever I moved, his cage was always in the main living area, no exceptions... he got interaction all the time, but was never dependent on it.

I took him to a bird show once and learned never to do that again. It was just a local club show, and he won best in show, and a couple ribbons, but he was my pet more than anything, so after one show he was retired from the show circuit. Birds are treated horribly at shows, but that's another story.

Rocky was smart, and he knew when I was in a bad mood - I could tell he was more alert - and it helped calm me down so that I wouldn't make him feel uncomfortable. He actually became part of my logo for my graphics business... he was a huge part of my life. When I bought my home, I bought him a new home, too. It was a huge stainless steel cage and he loved the space and climbing up the play gym I attached at the top.

In the late 2000s, he got an eye injury somehow when I wasn't home and developed cataracts. He went blind, basically, and while he could see shadows or movement he couldn't see anything right in front of him. I worried about his loss of vision more than he did - to him, I simply turned out the lights but to me I feared the worst. But it never stopped him and while he did become more dependent on me caring for him, he never lost a beat and became even more affectionate towards me. If I came home and threw something down on the counter it startled him because he didn't know what it was, and I had to be more aware of doing that.

In May of 2011, he had another seizure - he was prone to seizures and had a few over the years. But this time it was severe, he squawked once and alerted me there was a problem. I ran to him and he was hanging upside down from his perch and fading quickly. I grabbed him and within seconds he was lifeless, and died in my hands. He was just a bird, though, not a real person, right? No... he was family. I cried like a baby for days.

For a few years now, I still have the habit of thinking I'm startling him when I come in and make a noise (I live alone, so nobody here to startle). I still have his cage, dismantled and stored in various parts of the house. And I still miss that little white puff of feathers. People ask if I'll get another, but I can't.... I was so spoiled by him that if I don't find one with the same temperament I'm pretty sure I won't like it. They're known to be loud, destroyers, and dependent - but Rocky was the polar opposite.

So, yeah, I love animals and I got more emotional over my loss of a pet than I thought I would. If you care to watch, here's a video I had put together one year that kind of describes how pets "really need us"... enjoy. -

View attachment 575223

Great story. Birds are some of the longest lived pets. Quite often a Parrot will be in a shelter because it outlived its owner.
How old was Rocky?

Auto Transport Service
Back