• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Carpet to Use - Auto or Stick?

Bruzilla

Local time
9:19 PM
Reaction score
All my other 73/74 Roadrunners have come with consoles, and this is the first time I've had to convert from a column to a console shifter. Looking at new carpets, I'm seeing carpets for auto (I'm assuming on the column) and stick (I'm assuming there's a cut out for the floor/console shifter), but I'm not seeing one for an auto console. The last time I replaced carpet there was only one type to buy, not two or three, and I just had to cut holes for the shifter components.

Can someone give me a quick enlightenment on:
  • The difference between the auto and stick carpets.
  • Can you use a stick carpet with an auto/slapstick shifter?
  • Can I just use an auto (column) carpet and cut out holes myself? I'm wondering about this one as the shifter location might end up not being exactly the same as an OEM install.
Thanks as always!

The carpet that is for a manual trans on the floor will have a molded area that contours to the factory floor's shifter box. An auto car just has a flat floor there whether an auto on the column or any type of floor shifter.

If you have a console over the manual trans and floor you still need the manual trans carpet since the floor is still a manual trans floor. Jus like you'll always need an auto carpet for an automatic.

The holes for any style aren't cut yet, you'll do that when you install it.

Good luck!

I would check online or by phone with the carpet sales group. They should offer all types of carpets molded to the floor pans from auto on column to auto on floor ... ( I think it would be the same) . Mostly it will depend on what type of floor pan you already have or have modified to put in the floor shift.

FYI, If you need a 4 speed floor hump carpet I have a black one for sale in the classifieds for $125.00 brand new (no box though). It won't work for your application unless you have put in a bench seat 4 speed floor hump!! (not likely, right??)

Good luck with your project.

Godspeed,
JON

Auto Transport Service
Back