• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which muffler survey

Which mufflers???

• Walker Dynomax

Votes: 86 40.8%
  • Flomasters

Votes: 101 47.9%
  • Cherrybombs

Votes: 22 10.4%
  • Supertraps

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Import Fart-can muffler

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
My 64 has 3" TTI w/ dyno max mufflers, can't wait to get this baby running.

We fitted the TTI 3" max wedge system with Dynomax mufflers to our 63 Polara a few years ago and it was much louder than the home-made system that was on it, that had 'turbo style' mufflers, but didnt have a name on.

The main problem with the system we got now tho is not the volume as such but 'droning' at certain speeds.... between 20-40mph i think. The drone goes after that, but it's still quite loud.

Not exactly sure what the volume & droning is down to, but it must be down to the 3" system (compared to 2.5") and the fact that the Dynomax are a few inches shorter than the previous 'brand-x' mufflers.

Mind you, on the bright side, the wife wont go in the car now since she says it gives her headaches :grin:

I find Flowmaster sound like something is stuffed in the end of them. I put a set on my 69 340 Dart and hated them right away. Everything sounds like a 5.0 mustang with flowmasters. Going to Thrush Turbos with TTI pipes on my 64 Belv this week. Pitched it's flowmasters in the garbage. They were on it when I bought it.

Got Flowmaster Delta 50's with TTI 3" from headers and X-Pipe to the back--LOVE THE SOUND!!!

Last edited:
I have flowmasters 40 series on my 65 Coronet, 440, headers, 2.5" pipe no crossover, dump in front of the axle, loud at idle, loud at cruise, loud all the time I love the sound, everyone in town knows the car, my wife hears me coming home, my dad hates it. he has some no name turbos with a summit 2.5" exhuast on his 68 lemans, he likes that, I don't. I did put a thrush welded turbo on my 97 ram 3" and I bent up a 3" tailpipe, it sounded great throaty, mellow, better than the dyno max one I had on it before, and half the price. my car had some muffler shop turbos on it when I got it, the thing would rap under load, sounded like a hillbillies dream.

One vote for Flowmasters from here.

edit: sorry my bad language..

I have dual non-crossover Flowmasters on my 318 wagon. Tone could be deeper but it stays pretty quiet on the highway (which is saying something for a wagon with that five foot long resonance chamber behind the seats). It has kind of a cammy sound to it that turns into a blatting at WOT. Kind of old-school hot rod overall.

I really like the sound of SpinTecs... I put them on my son's Dakota R/T and they sounds sweet. A deeper sound than the flowmasters or the cherry bombs that were on it. I have flowmasters on the Coronet and I think I'm going to change them to SpinTecs, plus they are built like a rock. To each his own, they all sound pretty good.

Two chamber 40 series flowmasters on mine, 3" pipe no cross-over dumped before the axle. They sound wicked, but I think I might switch to spintec, heard some on a chevelle and it was like nascar status!

I really like the sound of SpinTecs... I put them on my son's Dakota R/T and they sounds sweet. A deeper sound than the flowmasters or the cherry bombs that were on it. I have flowmasters on the Coronet and I think I'm going to change them to SpinTecs, plus they are built like a rock. To each his own, they all sound pretty good.

Which model do you have thx

No one mentioned Flowmaster 70 series Big Block II mufflers. I have 2.5" two chambers Super 40 series that are really loud. I took those off and replaced with 3" three chamber Delta Flow 50 series that sounded better and were not quite as loud. But they are still too loud and I want to eventually sell my other Flowmaster mufflers and get the 70 series Big Block II in the bigger case. I have 3" exhaust with tailpipes which not only look cool, but give it that distinct sound and cuts down on noise. I want to make the car a little more stealthy so that I can get on the gas more without drawing too much attention. Plus I don't like having my ears ring after driving the car for a while and don't want to bother my neighbors with excessive noise especially when coming or going later at night. Anyone try out the 70 series Big Block II mufflers on a big block motor with 500 or so hp?

I cant find the receipt but I'm pretty sure I got the 5000 series, #5443 I believe. There is a video on YouTube somewhere and a guy basically takes the same truck and puts spintechs, then magnaflow and flowmasters on it so you can hear the difference. I can't imagine doing that much work for a video, but it's cool.

3" TTI X-pipe system with Dyno-Max Ultra-Flows. I love it ! Ron

CARLISLE711150.jpg

Why aren't MagnaFlow listed in the poll, they're the best IMO.

My first set of mufflers I had were flowmaster delta flow 50 series 3 chamber with 3 inch exhuast. It was cool for about ten minutes till i got a headache from all the damn noise. Next were dynomax they were all right not as loud but there is something about a packed muffler that i dont like. now I have the hooker aero chambers and i like the sound (the flowmasters did sound better) but they are still louder than i would like. I dont have any type of crossover (I was in a rush to put them on) so im hopping that will help out a bit when its on. Next im going to try the spin techs or hushpowers on the roadrunner when it comes alive.

My first set of mufflers I had were flowmaster delta flow 50 series 3 chamber with 3 inch exhuast. It was cool for about ten minutes till i got a headache from all the damn noise. Next were dynomax they were all right not as loud but there is something about a packed muffler that i dont like. now I have the hooker aero chambers and i like the sound (the flowmasters did sound better) but they are still louder than i would like. I dont have any type of crossover (I was in a rush to put them on) so im hopping that will help out a bit when its on. Next im going to try the spin techs or hushpowers on the roadrunner when it comes alive.

Try out the Flowmaster 70 Series Big Block II mufflers for me :icon_profileright:. I feel the same way about my 50 series mufflers, but think the 70 series will tone things down enough for me to be happy. When revving the motor with the 50 series my car sounds like a NASCAR or something similar, which is a bit to much for me. Pretty soon I will just have to make a post title 70 series big block II and see who has them. As a matter of fact, I think now would be the perfect time.

Put 3" with Borlas on my 68 Coronet w/440 and love it. I don't see why you don't hear more people using them.

I have flomasters..but my buddy's like dyno-max........
but who cares, as long as you make someone look.

Auto Transport Service
Back