• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which power steering fluid to use ????

LongR

Local time
8:51 PM
Reaction score
Planning on flushing the system.....
The shop manual calls for ATF type-A
Is this correct or is there something newer & better ?????

depends on which steering gear box. If it's stock it's one thing. I just had a higher pressure Borgeson box installed with stock PS pump and it calls for a different fluid to prevent foaming.

You could go ATF+4.
Basically a synthetic version.
Chrysler puts it in everything

I would just use regular power steering fluid. A is obsolete.

Power steering? I don't think that you put ATF in a power steering system. Use power steering fluid.

You could go ATF+4.
He might want to avoid synthetics. They are not backwards compatible where Dexron B, Dexron II and Dexron III ATF products are backward compatible with Type A and Type A , Suffix A fluids.

Planning on flushing the system.....
The shop manual calls for ATF type-A
Is this correct or is there something newer & better ?????
My 66 FSM says this. What manual are you using?

power steering.JPG

Plain old PS fluid. Not the kind that will stop or prevent leaks. That's just a gimmick that won't work anyway.

Don't use any ATF or anything synthetic. Yes newer mopars use ATF+4, but this ain't a newer mopar, so it's wrong.

You could go ATF+4.
It is an original power steering pump
The ATF Type-A the internet is stating that it is thinner than the new power steering fluid
The reason I'm flushing is, I flushed it a month ago with regular power steering fluid & my control valve just got stuck....

It is an original power steering pump
The ATF Type-A the internet is stating that it is thinner than the new power steering fluid
The reason I'm flushing is, I flushed it a month ago with regular power steering fluid & my control valve just got stuck....
With that valve getting stuck you most likely have a system contaminated with debris. What manual is showing ATF?

With that valve getting stuck you most likely have a system contaminated with debris. What manual is showing ATF?
Chilton 1970 41st year professional edition Chrysler section #8/page #1155. ATF type A
I remember using ATF for power steering when I was a kid 1960s/70s

Chilton 1970 41st year professional edition Chrysler section #8/page #1155. ATF type A
Unfortunately Chilton is full of mis-information. You would be better off with a FSM for your model year. I posted above what the FSM 1966 Manual said.

power steering.JPG

I have had power steering pumps that people put ATF in, and they howl and leak, from what I can remember. They are not interchangeable.

On a completely unrelated note; all Toyotas, Nissan, Mazdas, ford's, newer chryslers( not gms) use ATF for a power steering fluid.
Excuding possibly some special models.
Honda requires a special fluid
Vw requires a special fluid.
Carry on .. :lol:

On a completely unrelated note; all Toyotas, Nissan, Mazdas, ford's, newer chryslers( not gms) use ATF for a power steering fluid.
Excuding possibly some special models.
Honda requires a special fluid
Vw requires a special fluid.
Carry on .. :lol:
That's not unrelated....That's exactly what I'm talking about....2 options..ATF or Power steering fluid...Which one is correct ?? Which one is better ??

That's not unrelated....That's exactly what I'm talking about....2 options..ATF or Power steering fluid...Which one is correct ?? Which one is better ??
Power steering fluid......................

Universal psf was designed by gm.
If the stuff in post 18 works in chryslers( new ones by the way) then it's a replacement for +4. Basically it's all the same ****. With or without red dye.
20240322_162617.jpg

These guys don't even care what kind of dexron type it is lol

But anyways , pour in whatever you'd like!

Auto Transport Service
Back