• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who else has a garage dog?

She went to the vet a week ago for shots. I don't think it's a health issue. More like she's got her own set of calls.

Thank you everyone.
You know, I told the guy upstairs after Pop died that I wasn't going to give Him or anyone else the
satisfaction of seeing me all tore up and emotional after the next loss...and I meant it.
Problem is...
I fucked up.
No you didn’t! In my opinion you made the statement in total sincerity at that time. But natural human emotions can take over.

Thank you. That is Gary. She was born in the pound and spent nearly a year there. Wife got her as a comfort cat when she was (successfully) undergoing cancer therapy in 2017.
We’ve had many, many cats over the years and she is the smartest we’ve ever seen. She is seriously about as smart as a six year old child.
She has very short, stocky, powerful legs.View attachment 1493933View attachment 1493934
Might be a good thing that you didn’t say she was as smart as an adolescent !!!!!

I caught my chirper in the act. It wasn't the Heeler after all, but a yawning Boxahoula.

Speaking of the Australian Cattle Dog, here's my newest adoption helping me with a fuel vapor return line -

View attachment 1488179

View attachment 1488180

This little puppy girl had been through a few families. Her last home was with an elderly woman in government housing, who couldn't keep her because the pup was a bit too big. I took the dog temporarily so the woman wouldn't get evicted, but after half a day I decided to adopt her. Blue Heelers are too difficult for most people to keep one. This puppy was headed to a shelter and near certain death. Maybe someone would have given her another try, but a vet's assistant once told me nearly all shelter dogs get put down. I think she had little chance of getting a "forever home." Her behavior has gotten to be pretty good by Blue Heeler standards, but she's still be a very high energy menace to society that never ever gets tired.

Unfortunately I'm far from the ideal owner for a Blue Heeler, but I'm the only one she was going to get. At least she has other dogs to play with.
Give it some time. She'll grow,
comfortable with what's expected
of her.
Trip will actually interrupt when I'm
working in the garage by tapping me
on the leg with his paw. A Frisbee
hanging from his mouth. Impossible
to ignore. "Get that squirrel" along
with a toss of the Frisbee, sends him
to the back yard, and he's happy
knowing he's done his job. He's
relentless, and that's what I love
about him.
In my mind, the Australian's created
one hell of a dog.

My Heeler is turning out to be easier to live with than I thought she'd be. I'm sure it's because she's got so many other dogs in the pack to play with. She's not directly attached to my feet anymore, thank goodness. The cattledog bark is pretty hardcore though. I wish I could get her to dial that down. I'm also having trouble teaching her not to tear up the bed clothes. Or my books. She's lots of fun though and her coat is extra cuddly.

Dang, I’m reviving yet another old thread…
Well, we got a dog. But we are the cat rescuers!
Here’s another long story, you may want to scroll on, get a coffee, or go for a pee now. I warned you.
As many are aware, we were hit with disastrous fires and had to evacuate twice this year. The first time I looked after cats for people who couldn’t take them with them for about ten days. The second time was an epic journey that ultimately involved me rescuing and moving seventeen cats more than five hundred miles and caring for them for five weeks. That story and how we very nearly burned up can be found by googling my name Garth Carman and watching the CBC interview Linda and me. Our story was broadcast live on the Canadian national news for fourteen minutes, watched by millions. It was very stressful.
IMG_2664.jpeg
IMG_2658.jpeg

Anyway…
When the shelter heard that we were safely holed up on a farm in Alberta with fourteen cats they asked if we could also take in a dog as she was too unruly to put with other dogs. We figured what the hell, and agreed. They showed up with a large dog named Cora, and four more cats. What the hell, indeed.
What we received is a beautiful former sled dog. She is eighty pounds of energy and muscle. They told us that she was super aggressive and couldn’t be around other dogs or there would be bad fights. Being a sled dog is a very tough business. Much like being in a street gang or prison you survive by being tough. Cora is tough.
So Cora settled into the cat ranch.
Initially she regarded cats as things to throw up in the air and play with so we had to watch her closely. Once she realized that the cats are supposed to be here she grudgingly accepted them.
She is super alpha and has to be the top dog, and she will quickly sort that out. She is all in, no growling, no posing, no hesitation. She quickly beat the **** out of a visiting pit bull and has been fine ever since, but again I have to watch her as other people out walking their dogs don’t necessarily need my dog killing theirs. Our neighbours have some sort of big rottie cross and I have to physically restrain Cora from jumping the fence and cleaning his clock. But as long as other dogs don’t challenge her all is fine and she gets along with them just fine. We have never seen her show the slightest aggression towards people at all.
She is the strongest dog I’ve ever seen. Being bred as a sled dog she is all solid muscle. It is all that my six foot two one hundred eighty pounds can do to hold her back. She is also a total sweetheart goof ball. Just an absolutely happy, joyful girl.
She was such a darling that we decided to keep her rather than turn her back to the pound to an unknown fate. We had three cats of our own at the time, and they have different opinions regarding Cora. Jimmy is our timid tuxedo cat. He is afraid of pretty much afraid of everything and thus avoids all contact with Cora. Gary, our older grey cat that wants to be an only cat hates Cora, and isn’t too fond of the other cats, either. The funniest is our Mexican rescue cat, Chika. Chika is also a super alpha female that has disdain and contempt for most other cats and Cora also. She is not timid at all and walks around the the house with an attitude of “Hey dog! I’m talking to you! **** off!”.
When they dropped Cora off initially they also dropped off four rescue cats. One of them was a little black guy that we named Stanley. Stanley is a total sweetheart that immediately bonded with me. I couldn’t send him back to the pound so we kept him, also. For some reason he has bonded with Cora, although that feeling is not reciprocated. For whatever reason Stanley is determined to be Cora’s friend, a move fraught with danger. But gradually he is winning her over. Picture of wife with Cora when she is being a goofball, and Stanley sleeping in front of Coras nose, which Cora hates. And a photo of her with kids and another dog.
IMG_2469.jpeg

Last edited:
You and your wife are excellent people.
Thank you. I’m not being being fake humble but I would be lying if I said it was easy. I certainly never thought in a million years that I would safely transport, feed, and care for seventeen cats for five weeks. It ultimately cost me a few thousand dollars and a lot of stress and effort but I gave my word to these people that I would look after something that was important to them, and I did. One of the stories is this: this couple from Fort Smith had two alpacas that they get wool from, two big guard dogs to look after them, and a cat. Fort Smith had to evacuate so they dropped their cat off to me, and were dropping the alpacas and dogs off at Paradise Gardens for safe keeping. Then the fast moving fire threatened Hay River, and we had to evacuate also. On my way out of town I was to meet them at Paradise, give them back their cat, and we were all to evacuate south.
The fire had other plans.
The fire travelled at incredible speed, covering over fifty miles in a few hours. It was supposed to reach Hay River around midnight. However, at 06:30PM as I was just about to reach Paradise Gardens the fire roared across the highway in front of us, blocking me. It roared through Paradise Gardens burning the alpacas and dogs alive in front of the horrified people, who barely escaped with their lives. They also lost their vehicle and possessions, and about a dozen other vehicles were destroyed as well, along with half the houses in Paradise and other pets and animals. The town of Enterprise was wiped out just south of there. Had I been five minutes earlier that would also have been my Jeep burned out with a bunch of dead cats inside.
IMG_2372.jpeg
and possibly me.
I retreated north for three days. This is what we talked about in the CBC interview, but I didn’t go into the horrible details.
Once things calmed down I was ultimately able to reunite the people with their cat, their only surviving living thing. We all cried like babies and it’s still difficult to write about.

Last edited:
Brittania_w_deer_skull.JPG

I can haz skull?

100_front_fender_paint_fix.JPG

Sweet little luv pup, worst shop dog ever. I was working under the dash last night and she jumped in the car and sat on my chest. I was painting the bottom of the doors and her head was between me and the work. If I'm under the car she wedges herself up against me and it's hard to wiggle back out. I was glad she found a deer skull to play with today. It was frustrating enough installing the master cylinder by myself, without Brittania laying on top of me.

I saw your interviews Garth. Your a good man. Glad you and the critters made it back safe.

Thank you. I’m not being being fake humble but I would be lying if I said it was easy. I certainly never thought in a million years that I would safely transport, feed, and care for seventeen cats for five weeks. It ultimates cost me a few thousand dollars and a lot of stress and effort but I gave my word to these people that I would look after something that was important to them, and I did. One of the stories is this: this couple from Fort Smith had two alpacas that they get wool from, two big guard dogs to look after them, and a cat. Fort Smith had to evacuate so they dropped their cat off to me, and were dropping the alpacas and dogs off at Paradise Gardens for safe keeping. Then the fast moving fire threatened Hay River, and we had to evacuate also. On my way out of town I was to meet them at Paradise, give them back their cat, and we were all to evacuate south.
The fire travelled at incredible speed, covering over fifty miles in a few hours. It was supposed to reach Hay River around midnight. However, at 06:30PM as I was just about to reach Paradise Gardens the fire roared across the highway in front of us, blocking me. It roared through Paradise Gardens burning the alpacas and dogs alive in front of the horrified people, who barely escaped with their lives. They also lost their vehicle and possessions, and about a dozen other vehicles were destroyed as well, along with half the houses in Paradise and other pets and animals. The town of Enterprise was wiped out just south of there. Had I been five minutes earlier that would also have been my Jeep burned out with a bunch of dead cats inside.View attachment 1545240and possibly me.
I retreated north for three days. This is what we talked about in the CBC interview, but I didn’t go into the horrible details.
Once things calmed down I was ultimately able to reunite the people with their cat, their only surviving living thing. We all cried like babies and it’s still difficult to write about.
What a truly inspirational story Sir.
I can't believe the amount of kindness in both of your hearts.
Good luck to you and all the cats and dogs you cared for and saved.
The world is a better place with both of you in it.

Thank you. I’m not being being fake humble but I would be lying if I said it was easy. I certainly never thought in a million years that I would safely transport, feed, and care for seventeen cats for five weeks. It ultimates cost me a few thousand dollars and a lot of stress and effort but I gave my word to these people that I would look after something that was important to them, and I did. One of the stories is this: this couple from Fort Smith had two alpacas that they get wool from, two big guard dogs to look after them, and a cat. Fort Smith had to evacuate so they dropped their cat off to me, and were dropping the alpacas and dogs off at Paradise Gardens for safe keeping. Then the fast moving fire threatened Hay River, and we had to evacuate also. On my way out of town I was to meet them at Paradise, give them back their cat, and we were all to evacuate south.
The fire travelled at incredible speed, covering over fifty miles in a few hours. It was supposed to reach Hay River around midnight. However, at 06:30PM as I was just about to reach Paradise Gardens the fire roared across the highway in front of us, blocking me. It roared through Paradise Gardens burning the alpacas and dogs alive in front of the horrified people, who barely escaped with their lives. They also lost their vehicle and possessions, and about a dozen other vehicles were destroyed as well, along with half the houses in Paradise and other pets and animals. The town of Enterprise was wiped out just south of there. Had I been five minutes earlier that would also have been my Jeep burned out with a bunch of dead cats inside.View attachment 1545240and possibly me.
Garth, God love y'all. Man, what outstanding examples of the species you folks are....:praying:

Garth, God love y'all. Man, what outstanding examples of the species you folks are....:praying:
Thank you Ed, I appreciate that. We fortunate enough to be blessed with enough that we can share, but also we are fortunate enough to live in an area where this sort of thing is the norm. It’s a funny kind of place; people can disagree with you, sometimes hate you, but when you are stuck they will help you regardless.
That is gradually changing, the “world” is creeping in on us, the newer generations are becoming more selfish and self centred, but overall people are still generally good.
Not sure if I wrote of this here before or not, but here goes: when I was cut off on the highway and lost contact with my wife I went a hundred miles north, to Fort Resolution. That is a tough, tough town. Especially if you are white and a stranger. I was, and still am afraid of the place, and I frequently have to work there.
When I got there at night, I discovered my wife was gone and I had no idea where she was. All communications were down because the fire destroyed everything; cell towers, fibre optic cables, phone lines, everything. I had no cash, and credit cards wouldn’t work because the internet was down. I was stranded in a strange, dangerous town and couldn’t leave to look for wife because the gas stations to the south were shut or burned and I didn’t have enough fuel. A guy I knew there had a jockey tank and gave me fuel. I drove down and back looking for wife, no luck. The next day I went to the gas station to get fuel but couldn’t because credit cards were still down. The gas station “fronted” me fuel on my honour to pay them back. On my way out the door a total stranger offered me cash. All in all the people there were fantastic. I holed up in a government office for three days with the cats. People brought me a cot and blankets. I was brought excellent meals. Strangers that heard my plight offered sympathy and support. They cared. It was truly humbling. I paid everyone back.

Thank you Ed, I appreciate that. We fortunate enough to be blessed with enough that we can share, but also we are fortunate enough to live in an area where this sort of thing is the norm. It’s a funny kind of place; people can disagree with you, sometimes hate you, but when you are stuck they will help you regardless.
That is gradually changing, the “world” is creeping in on us, the newer generations are becoming more selfish and self centred, but overall people are still generally good.
Not sure if I wrote of this here before or not, but here goes: when I was cut off on the highway and lost contact with my wife I went a hundred miles north, to Fort Resolution. That is a tough, tough town. Especially if you are white and a stranger. I was, and still am afraid of the place, and I frequently have to work there.
When I got there at night, I discovered my wife was gone and I had no idea where she was. All communications were down because the fire destroyed everything; cell towers, fibre optic cables, phone lines, everything. I had no cash, and credit cards wouldn’t work because the internet was down. I was stranded in a strange, dangerous town and couldn’t leave to look for wife because the gas stations to the south were shut or burned and I didn’t have enough fuel. A guy I knew there had a jockey tank and gave me fuel. I drove down and back looking for wife, no luck. The next day I went to the gas station to get fuel but couldn’t because credit cards were still down. The gas station “fronted” me fuel on my honour to pay them back. On my way out the door a total stranger offered me cash. All in all the people there were fantastic. I holed up in a government office for three days with the cats. People brought me a cot and blankets. I was brought excellent meals. Strangers that heard my plight offered sympathy and support. They cared. It was truly humbling. I paid everyone back.
Still happens in rural small town Saskatchewan.

Thank you so much for sharing more of your story, my friend. It's truly inspiring stuff!
Yes, we're in a similar situation in this neck of the woods - people dang near trip over one another
helping out, doing the charity thing, looking out for one another....
but I hate to agree with you that it's typically the older folks doing most of the heavy lifting these
days (maybe a lot of the younger folks are working too hard and don't have the time?).

We're living in unprecedented times and I hope some folks (namely government types) are learning
from it.

You'll see Joy in many of my pictures.
She has a 6 foot rule but it's the inverse of the COVID restrictions.
IMG_20211009_200405541_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220709_171940167_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210703_175752145.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back