• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is good with decoding fender tags and the like

djohn658

Local time
8:15 AM
Reaction score
After searching all over the web for information on my 1962 Fury convertible, I'm still at a loss as to what all these numbers mean.. I've got the vin tag figured out, but the fender tag and the partial build sheet I found under the springs of the rear seat (mice, gotta love em) still don't mean much to me.. Is there a definitive source out there that can decode what these codes and numbers mean?

Here's what I have so far...

Vin tag (inside of drivers door frame)
3321168445 I found that this means Plymouth V8-High trim-1962 model year-Lynch Rd plant- vehicle 68445

Now, how about that fender tag?

ABCDEFGHJKLMNPQRST V WXYZ
SONUMBERBDY TRM PNT
05180704335BB245

This is what I am having problems decoding.

If some guru could help me figure out what this is supposed to tell me, that would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone have a photo of a complete lynch road plant build sheet from 1962? That might help me start to reconstruct the missing parts of mine...

Thanks!

Don

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong Kpf, but I believe that Kpfsuperbees was suggesting that if you look at the top, right-hand side of that link he gave you, it says..."Don't speak MOPAR? Have your 1962 to 1981 MOPAR decoded - Click Here." You have to pay to get the info....

'62-'65 can be a crap shoot on the fender tag decoding. You'll find info here and there. A lot of it comes from comparing other owners tags that have been documented. Info on '66 and up isn't what you want. The other alternative is to pay for the decoding from companies who do it.

Try looking under your dash, attached to your glove box, for a broadcast sheet. A real good place to find the complete sheet if the glove box hasn't been tampered with...

Here's some '65 numbers. I like this website for some good info,
http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-osterling65fendertag.html

Some members on here have access to decoding books and should be able to help out too. Be patient.

Hereis what I can tell you from books and data I have:
VIN:
3 Plymouth,8 cylinder B body
3 V-200,Fury
2 1962
1 LynchRoad plant
168445 Sequential VIN
TrimTag:
Readfrom bottom up and left to right:
Bottomrow
0518 ProductionDate, May 18[SUP]th[/SUP]
0707 Shippingorder
335 CarBody & Line, Fury, 8 cylinder, 2 door convertible
BB Paint,Silhouette Black
245 Trim,2 = bench, 4 = vinyl, 5 = red
Secondrow
7 Engine,318, 1 2bbl, 230 HP
2 ManualTrans, column shift
1 Radio,AM music master economy
2 unverified
3 unverified
4 unverified
5 Heater,front w/ Defroster
3 Backuplights
8 Windshieldwasher, dual jet
1 unverified
1 Mirror,outside, LH manual
1 unverified
Toprow
03 GateSequence
112 Basesequence, 112[SUP]th[/SUP] car built that day

Good luck, no guarantees. Sources are Galen's White Books and American Car ID Numbers 1960-1969.

That looks like everything I have found so far. I wasn't sure of the engine. The trans in this car is a pushbutton automatic, though- No column shift.
I've wondered if the "3 Backuplights" is the reason this car has 3 rear lights on a side like the Sport Fury, without all the big engined goodness....

Auto Transport Service
Back