• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wild Muscle car colors of the 60's and 70's

The article forgets this 1969 color....

181361_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

Mopar

For 1970, both marques' day-glow palette were completely analogous and grouped under the High Impact banner: Tor Red/Hemi Orange, Vitamin C/Go Mango, Lemon Twist/Top Banana (FY1), Limelight/Sublime (FJ5), and In Violet/Plum Crazy (FC7). Midyear, Moulin Rouge/Panther Pink (FM3) and Sassy Grass Green/Green Go (FJ6) were added. For 1971, Curious Yellow/Citroen Yella (GY3) and EL5 were added to EV2, FY1 (added 9/70), FC7, and FJ6. EV2 was available through 1972 and FY1 through 1973 before the drab 1970s commenced.

ford might have put it out there but nobody did it like mama mopar.

ford might have put it out there but nobody did it like mama mopar.
thank god ford had the pony car. tried the cat car it just didn't work. chevy had the c car's still the triple 5 cars was what everybody was buying. yet mopar gave us gtx, rr superbee's and alot more with every option you could think of and of course mopar got shutdown all to often because of the hp they could put out from stock to wild. the cry babies ford and chevy had more pull then mopar but yet mopar was number one on the racing screen. not to mention how many transplants that was done with the hemi you could find them in everything. brand names as ford and chevy both used the hemi as the power to be in the car of choice. gasser to t buckets were found with the elephant hanging between the fenders.

The article forgets this 1969 color....

View attachment 714331

Mopar

For 1970, both marques' day-glow palette were completely analogous and grouped under the High Impact banner: Tor Red/Hemi Orange, Vitamin C/Go Mango, Lemon Twist/Top Banana (FY1), Limelight/Sublime (FJ5), and In Violet/Plum Crazy (FC7). Midyear, Moulin Rouge/Panther Pink (FM3) and Sassy Grass Green/Green Go (FJ6) were added. For 1971, Curious Yellow/Citroen Yella (GY3) and EL5 were added to EV2, FY1 (added 9/70), FC7, and FJ6. EV2 was available through 1972 and FY1 through 1973 before the drab 1970s commenced.
Wasn't butterscotch/ bahama yellow considered a HIP color? Or was it just considered ugly? (I can joke about it cause I've got one).

butterscotch/ bahama yellow is a awesome color. i have thought of even painting my car that color still trying to decide. my car will look like the chip car trying to figure which one to go with. lol

Parents saw a '71 demo Road Runner at Normadin Chrysler Plymouth (San Jose) in Bahama Yellow with Air Grabber hood and special ordered a similar one. I'm kind of a copy cat too:

DSC00867.JPG

High Impact colors

here some for 1971 & others in that "mod" color pallet

Mopar Paint color pallets-names 1971 Plymouth.jpg

My Charger is F8.:(

I’ll fix that with FC7.:)

It only took one look at my 72 Charger in Hemi Orange and it was love. I bought it then and there and have never regretted the decision.

How I remember the rapid transit system and the wild mopar colors just around the time I got my license. It was a thrill to see these gleaming new mopars especially at night under the street lights wanting one bad. Several colors lit my fire. Was hard to pick out a favorite…I had like 7 fave’s all equal. As it would work out, my 70 Cuda and 73 Challenger didn't have my top 7 but hey I had a blast owning them.

Wasn't butterscotch/ bahama yellow considered a HIP color? Or was it just considered ugly? (I can joke about it cause I've got one).
Really liked that color on my Bee back in the early/mid 70's... Don't really care for it today...

Somehow I don't see Panther Pink anywhere...

IMG_4545.jpg_thumb.png

Auto Transport Service
Back