• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window reinstallation

pushrod

Local time
12:22 PM
Reaction score
IMG_20180121_140414899.jpg
I am ready to reinstall the side glass in my 2 door '64 sedan belvedere. Ordered new glass From Restoration Glass, removed all the old glass from the tracks.
Now I need to Know if anyone has a source for the rubber gasket that goes in the lift channel or what do you use to keep the window in place. A picture is included
3/8 wide x1/2" high
Thanks for any input.

View attachment 562970 I am ready to reinstall the side glass in my 2 door '64 sedan belvedere. Ordered new glass From Restoration Glass, removed all the old glass from the tracks.
Now I need to Know if anyone has a source for the rubber gasket that goes in the lift channel or what do you use to keep the window in place. A picture is included
3/8 wide x1/2" high
Thanks for any input.
Bump

I barely remember replacing one years ago. I found a piece of thin rubber, the same thickness as what I took out of the glass channel that holds it in. Cleaned up the channel real good, cut the new rubber to size, placed it in the channel and used a rubber hammer to tap the channel onto the new glass. Maybe use some soapy water to help it go on. No sealer was used. I'm thinking I might have cut a piece of rubber from a inner tube. Might find some at Lowes or Home Depot in the plumbing section?

I had an auto glass shop make new quarter glass for 65 to replace the welding splatter damaged old glass. Looked to me like they used a sealer or adhesive to hold the new glass in the channel.

The factory used glass setting tape which comes in a variety of thickness; 1/32", 3/64", 1/16" and 3/32". It measures 1 & 1/2" wide. You will need to know the thickness of the replacement glass and the width of the channel. Most larger glass shops will stock it and it retails around $1 to $1.25 per foot.
Just place into the channel, position glass into the channel and trim as necessary. The old tape has pretty much over the years turned into a hard plastic style material.

Thanks everyone for your response. 69bfan I will give it a try.i. Retrospect the old scratched glass is looking better

Thanks everyone for your response. 69bfan I will give it a try.i. Retrospect the old scratched glass is looking better
I just put all new side glass in my 64 Savoy and just went to the local glass shop and got some setting tape. My window glass thickness measured .232 thick and the setting tape is .060 x 1.50. A little trick is to put a LIGHT coat of engine oil on the setting tape both sides then form it around the glass bottom and then put it in the channel.

I barely remember replacing one years ago. I found a piece of thin rubber, the same thickness as what I took out of the glass channel that holds it in. Cleaned up the channel real good, cut the new rubber to size, placed it in the channel and used a rubber hammer to tap the channel onto the new glass. Maybe use some soapy water to help it go on. No sealer was used. I'm thinking I might have cut a piece of rubber from a inner tube. Might find some at Lowes or Home Depot in the plumbing section?
The rubber can be picked up at any rubber supply house take the rail and glass with you. Soapy water nest for install or it could get bunched up.

Auto Transport Service
Back