• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield installation question 67 B-body

Jim 68cuda

Local time
6:31 AM
Reaction score
I have a 67 Coronet hardtop. I had the glass removed when the car was painted and a glass shop I've used for over 20 years re-installed the glass (at the body shop) using new front and rear gaskets I purchased from Steele Rubber Parts. The rear glass never sealed up and the glass guy came back several times to try to seal it. Each time, the amount of water coming in and the number of places it leaked were reduced. I was down to about three minor leaks when the glass guy finally told me it was the body work underneath, so he removed the rear glass and a friend who has done body work for me on other cars checked it out for me. There was nothing wrong with the body work. My glass guy wants nothing to do with re-installing the rear glass.
I've found that most glass shops won't touch these old cars anymore because they are difficult to seal.
I found one glass shop that says they are easy to do but that if the trim clips were removed, then new screws that come with a sealer already applied should be used when reinstalling the clips. The old screws should not be reused. Its been a while, but I believe the new trim clips I had, came with new screws (which I would have expected to have been correct). If there is a special screw with sealer preapplied, who has them? And is this likely my problem? I will say that some of the original clips were never removed and were painted over. I would expect that those likely weren't the problem since the rear glass didn't leak before the car was painted.
If it matters at all, this was an inexpensive Maaco paint job on a car that sits outside in the weather, so it doesn't surprise me that I found that they hadn't used all the new trim clips and had left many of the originals in place untouched.
Meanwhile I can't install the headliner and rear package tray till the leaks are solved. Thanks.

Well, after calling every auto glass shop in the book (I called about 20), I finally found one that says they will install my rear glass. I will take it in Tuesday and need to leave it with them for a few days. Turns out the guy that removed the glass (owner of another glass shop), who wouldn't come back to re-install it, worked for this company more than 20 years ago. I'm amazed that most auto glass shops were not even willing to touch an old car with the old style molded rubber gaskets.

Picked up the Coronet this morning from Virginia Auto Glass in Sterling, Virginia. This was the only place I found locally that was willing to work on an older car. I had called about 20 auto glass shops.
They installed the rear glass with the gasket I had. They then tested the seal the next day and found one leak. they fixed that and tested it again and they tell me the water is not getting in. The cost was $170.00. That was more expensive than the glass shop i had originally used, but then, the original shop couldn't get it right and in the end left me with the back glass out of the car. I guess you get what you pay for.

I have a 67 Coronet hardtop. I had the glass removed when the car was painted and a glass shop I've used for over 20 years re-installed the glass (at the body shop) using new front and rear gaskets I purchased from Steele Rubber Parts. The rear glass never sealed up and the glass guy came back several times to try to seal it. Each time, the amount of water coming in and the number of places it leaked were reduced. I was down to about three minor leaks when the glass guy finally told me it was the body work underneath, so he removed the rear glass and a friend who has done body work for me on other cars checked it out for me. There was nothing wrong with the body work. My glass guy wants nothing to do with re-installing the rear glass.
I've found that most glass shops won't touch these old cars anymore because they are difficult to seal.
I found one glass shop that says they are easy to do but that if the trim clips were removed, then new screws that come with a sealer already applied should be used when reinstalling the clips. The old screws should not be reused. Its been a while, but I believe the new trim clips I had, came with new screws (which I would have expected to have been correct). If there is a special screw with sealer preapplied, who has them? And is this likely my problem? I will say that some of the original clips were never removed and were painted over. I would expect that those likely weren't the problem since the rear glass didn't leak before the car was painted.
If it matters at all, this was an inexpensive Maaco paint job on a car that sits outside in the weather, so it doesn't surprise me that I found that they hadn't used all the new trim clips and had left many of the originals in place untouched.
Meanwhile I can't install the headliner and rear package tray till the leaks are solved. Thanks.

Had a similar experience with my insurance on RR. Windshield got cracked. Not only could I only find one place to do it...I had to order the gasket myself. They reimbursed me for the gasket but the glass shop couldn't get it. Anyway, long story short, they broke 3 windshields trying to get it in.

I guess the $100 flat rate insurance companies pay for replacement and potential loss from breakage from people who do not know wtf they are doing makes it cost prohibitive.

The guy who installed mine rear was orig front was replacement said the new glass is thinner & some of the new gaskets are made for new glass some are made for old glass he had it in at my house in no time verry reasonable price too. if you find an expierienced installer ( a guy with a few grey hairs not a 20 yr old kid ) it is no big deal but most wont touch them. Todays cars modern windshield installs totally different from these old cars that is why they dont want to do them & most dont know how .

Windshileds are tuff to get installed every where. The new glass all comes form of all places Tiawann. It is all thinner and I am next on the list for this.

i searched a bit and found this thread but... not what i needed. I tore apart my 67 belvedere 10 years ago and cant remember if i need to buy both the ribbon sealer and the weather stripping? does the sticky ribbon lay down first?

i searched a bit and found this thread but... not what i needed. I tore apart my 67 belvedere 10 years ago and cant remember if i need to buy both the ribbon sealer and the weather stripping? does the sticky ribbon lay down first?

Are you talking about the rear glass? What car?

I'm going through this right now but fortunately there is a local place that is willing to work on the the car. So far they have gone through one window which broke. They ordered a new windshield but the top corners are not fitting right so they took some measurements to have them shaved. The glass guy told me straight up that the glass is overseas garbage as far as the cut goes but safety/look wise I'll be just fine. They are doing it way cheap for me because the guy on the phone underquoted me since he doesn't understand the time it takes to do these older cars. $215 installed with them providing the gasket and window.

Both of the installers are younger guys, I say younger but their probably my age, and admitted this is thier first Mopar but not first old car. They are coming by today for round three so we will see how it goes.

Auto Transport Service
Back