• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wipers 3 speed switch with 2 speed motor wiring

FueledGarage

Local time
1:05 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

Looking for some more wiring help from the Mopar experts. Taking over all of the final details from a builder that got tired of this project and left many, many loose ends. We ended up with a 3 speed wiper switch and a 2 speed wiper motor. Can anyone provide the wiring to make this work? I'm sure I can figure it out, just trying to save some time since this is one of many items on the punch list

Also, I don't have the connector for the switch so hopefully someone can help with the pinout. I noticed that the headlight switch is labeled. I did not look at the wiper switch yet to see if it is labeled.

Thanks,
Toby

Pretty sure the 3 speed switch will work with the 2 speed motor but not the other way around. The main difference is the resistance wire on the 3 speed switch that isn't there on a 2 speed. You might have to experiment with attaching the resistance wire or leaving it off.

3 speed swith, note the white resistor on the side that isn't there on a 2 speed

IMG_0146.jpg

Thanks, I was able to get high to work but can't get low. I wonder if I need to jump the restistor. I will keep at it.

I have a question... being the 2 switch easy to come by and install ( easier and cheaper than get the 3 speeds motor and linkage related ) why not simply get a 2 speeds switch and go for the motor upgrade later ?... that will save you from headaches and hacking jobs what could burn anything around

BTW, I'm pretty sure several bodies switches can be worked out to fit on B body just changing the rocker knob. Being like that and being any 68/70 B or E body related allways expensive so here you have couple of NOS C body

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mopar-1968-Dodge-and-Plymouth-2-speed-windshield-wiper-switch-C-Body-A536/182709102625?epid=1123553585&hash=item2a8a4fa821:g:Be0AAOSwzoRZijWn&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mopar-1968-Dodge-and-Plymouth-2-speed-windshield-wiper-switch-C-Body/311792934108?epid=1123553585&hash=item48984e9cdc:g:OR4AAOSwjDZYkfzO&vxp=mtr

correct me if I'm wrong PPL

woops... just noticed the prongs dispotition on C bodies is diff so despite my suggestion. But still I suggest get the right switch and wait for a later 3 speeds upgrade. You already got the switch for it

I was in a similar position as you regarding the wiper switch and motor.
It would have been the cheapest option to replace a failed wiper motor to replace with a 2 speed as they are easily found for cheap.
Found a rebuild 3 speed wiper motor on Ebay, also found a linkage arm and bushing for 3 speed motor and got that working.
(You will need the crank, Part number: 2822273 and the 3 speed bushing, Part number: 2580200)

Not sure about yours, but my 2 speed wiper motor only worked on 1 speed and did not to go the park position when switched off by using the 3 speed switch. (this is how i bought the car and the wiper motor harness and plug was in original shape and not cut up)
If you decide to switch to a 3 speed wiper motor it will be more expensive thats for sure, but to get this to work you will need a 2 speed wiper switch i believe.
Also, if you are using a ram charger/air grabber hood you will need the extra clearance for the filter housing by using a 3 speed wiper.
If the car originally came with a fresh air hood (N96 option) then the 3 speed wiper option (J25 code) was automatically added as well because of this clearance issue. (You can check the fender tag or build sheet if you have one)

The only difference in wiring is that the 2 speed has a resistor attached on the motor housing, the brown wire from the harness is position on 1 side of the resistor, and another brown wire with tracer comes off the resistor and connects to the motor.
That needs to be removed and the brown wire hooks up directly to the 3 speed motor.
My rebuild 3 speed motor had all wiring correctly color coded so it was very easy to hook it up.

Below is from the diagram of a '69 Coronet. (this is looking at the switch from the back)
upload_2017-11-18_11-0-19.png

Hope this helps.

The only difference in wiring is that the 2 speed has a resistor attached on the motor housing, the brown wire from the harness is position on 1 side of the resistor, and another brown wire with tracer comes off the resistor and connects to the motor.
That needs to be removed and the brown wire hooks up directly to the 3 speed motor.
My rebuild 3 speed motor had all wiring correctly color coded so it was very easy to hook it up.

and the CLICK on switch for the extra speed

I may have a 2 speed switch around here if you want it for the cost of shipping (69 B body). I'll need to rummage around to find it as I have a 3 speed motor / switch in my ride.

1970 GTX, has what seems to be original 3 spd. Wiper motor and a 2spd. Switch. Wipers do not work, ran a jumper to check got what looked like normal movement. Can a 3spd motor function with just a 2spd switch?

1970 GTX, has what seems to be original 3 spd. Wiper motor and a 2spd. Switch. Wipers do not work, ran a jumper to check got what looked like normal movement. Can a 3spd motor function with just a 2spd switch?
Short answer is no. You also need to make sure your have the correct crank arm and bushing

I replied in your other post Robbie with how to test the motor first and how to wire up the 3 speed switch you'll need to make it work, but here it is again..

3speedwiperswitch.jpg

Bench testing procedure.

Test #1(Hi speed)

Connect jumper wire from motor case to battery ground.
Connect second jumper wire from battery positive to BROWN lead.
Motor should run hi speed continuously.

Test #2 (Lo speed)

Connect jumper wire from GREEN wire to battery ground.
Join BROWN and RED wires together and connect a jumper wire from battery positive to them.
Motor should run at slower speed.

Test #3 (Park)

Connect jumper lead from GREEN to BROWN wire.
Connect jumper wire from red wire to ground.
Connect jumper wire from Blue wire to battery positive.
Motor should reverse and park.

BTW, I'm pretty sure several bodies switches can be worked out to fit on B body just changing the rocker knob. Being like that and being any 68/70 B or E body related allways expensive so here you have couple of NOS C body

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mopar-...ash=item2a8a4fa821:g:Be0AAOSwzoRZijWn&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mopar-1968-Dodge-and-Plymouth-2-speed-windshield-wiper-switch-C-Body/311792934108?epid=1123553585&hash=item48984e9cdc:g:OR4AAOSwjDZYkfzO&vxp=mtr

correct me if I'm wrong PPL

I modified this 3 spd switch (on right) to work on my 69. Bought it nos for $45
20161027_171400.jpg

20161027_175021.jpg

20161027_180324.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back