• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

With Stinger Fiberglass now seemingly gone, what company makes the best glass hoods?

There was a guy who made steel hood scoops for Ted Stephen's. The guy was from Guam I think.
Yeah Guam or South America. They looked good.
Not to distract on my own thread, there used to be a guy in Michigan or Ohio that made aluminum bumpers and hoods. He had a shop and was an expert metal smith but fell on hard times or something. Maybe he's still around.

Yeah Guam or South America. They looked good.
Not to distract on my own thread, there used to be a guy in Michigan or Ohio that made aluminum bumpers and hoods. He had a shop and was an expert metal smith but fell on hard times or something. Maybe he's still around.
It would've been nice to get a steel scoop. But for $1500, I figured the fiberglass scoop would work.

It would've been nice to get a steel scoop. But for $1500, I figured the fiberglass scoop would work.
Yes, $1500 can't make sense against $400, but I understand the craftsmanship and materials. Fiberglass is laid molded for the most part and the metal still needs to be sourced, cut, break formed, stamped, drilled and welded.

Kramer, but as far as scoops, they are spot on.
This one is from Kramer. Good quality.

IMG_2731.jpg

@malex Sounds like you got a hood from Unlimited Products? I bought a glass bolt on hood for my 66 Belvedere from them in 94 and it was a pile of crap too but it did fit and is actually still in my possession. Ran it for almost 5 years but never did fix the imperfections except for adding some reinforcement to the leading edge. I could see it trying to flip upwards at just 80mph. I heard they didn't have a good reputation but they were the only ones that had a hood at the time....and it was only 97 bucks shipped so didn't expect it to be great but it did the job. It didn't have a scoop on it and it probably wouldn't support one but it did well with the factory hood hinges and lightweight springs.

So...have you actually bought from him and had to use that warranty?
Because he's shown to be an unreliable asshat when you get crappy parts as far as I'm concerned.
I've never have but there are several here that have and seem happy with the product....the bitchin has gone WAY down (haven't seen a bitch thread here in awhile now and hope I'm not missing any) here and on other sites. I've dealt with Larry for years in the past where someone was bitchin and Larry would come and throw the blame at the customer. At another site where I was an admin, it was a common battle with him and could see the same thing happening on other sites including this one. I don't go to other sites all that much anymore but things have settled down quite a bit here with stuff like that. Also, I'm not seeing unhappy comments on his Facebook page but he most likely can delete any and all of that. Awhile back someone mentioned that he was fixing his molds (replacing?) and that's the biggest problem doing fiberglass.....using the same molds over and over and over.

I've never have but there are several here that have and seem happy with the product....the bitchin has gone WAY down (haven't seen a bitch thread here in awhile now and hope I'm not missing any) here and on other sites. I've dealt with Larry for years in the past where someone was bitchin and Larry would come and throw the blame at the customer. At another site where I was an admin, it was a common battle with him and could see the same thing happening on other sites including this one. I don't go to other sites all that much anymore but things have settled down quite a bit here with stuff like that. Also, I'm not seeing unhappy comments on his Facebook page but he most likely can delete any and all of that. Awhile back someone mentioned that he was fixing his molds (replacing?) and that's the biggest problem doing fiberglass.....using the same molds over and over and over.
I must admit though, the 1964-1966 Hemi scoop was one of the most handsome scoops ever made by Chrysler. They even brought it back into function with their 2021-2023 Demons. Can't keep a good design down.

I must admit though, the 1964-1966 Hemi scoop was one of the most handsome scoops ever made by Chrysler. They even brought it back into function with their 2021-2023 Demons. Can't keep a good design down.
Come on AAR, are you listening? Bring yourselves back with a good partner in tow. We're waiting.

@malex Sounds like you got a hood from Unlimited Products? I bought a glass bolt on hood for my 66 Belvedere from them in 94 and it was a pile of crap too but it did fit and is actually still in my possession. Ran it for almost 5 years but never did fix the imperfections except for adding some reinforcement to the leading edge. I could see it trying to flip upwards at just 80mph. I heard they didn't have a good reputation but they were the only ones that had a hood at the time....and it was only 94 bucks shipped so didn't expect it to be great but it did the job. It didn't have a scoop on it and it probably wouldn't support one but it did well with the factory hood hinges and lightweight springs.
Nope not from Unlimited. Mine came from Larry. And all what you said is exactly what I received. A piece of crap when received, a load of BS at time of order and then being all my fault for buying it. Yeah that will always rank number 1 for getting scarooed.

Nope not from Unlimited. Mine came from Larry. And all what you said is exactly what I received. A piece of crap when received, a load of BS at time of order and then being all my fault for buying it. Yeah that will always rank number 1 for getting scarooed.
How long ago was that?

US Body out of Lakeland Florida since like 1987
they used to sell a crapload of stuff for 68-69 RRs
(among several other Mopars, I only cared about 68 RR at the time)
I bought a 68 RR full fiberglass body from them a long time ago
like 1997-ish, bumpers, fenders, trunk-lid & hood, doors
sold that car a long time ago now, it was quality stuff,
a lil' on the heavy side 'for race weight', but tough stuff, that fit well
still way lighter than steel, they had good customer service back then too

I haven't used them in a while now...

Last I bought was 2000-ish a 6bbl A12 hood, light race weight lift-off,
Suez down style hood & it was good...

www.usbody.com

Last edited:
Unlimited,
went way down hill, a long time ago they were barely decent, but workable
& affordable
last stuff I bought, like 2010-12, front & rear 68 RR Bumpers
was so damn rough
especially on all the openings & edges on the bumpers
I would have to redo all of it & recut most of it

I have read some negative, mostly customer service-oriented
(IIRC it was a couple years ago now) about Sled City too
several even on this very forum & several active members here
not sure if they/he has cleaned up their act or not
or they are the only ones making certain years stuff,
or that they're the only choice... Seems like some here love them/him...

VFN & AAR were both good...

have not dealt with either for 10 years now

I had some AAR stuff in the '70s and it was great.
Wow, I didn't know AAR was around since the 70's. They are the ones with the best looking and functioning glass pieces so far.

Yes, I saw with my very own eyes some really crappy stuff made in glass and wondered who would buy such crap. I wouldn't take it for free. I guess there's a lot BS behind a phone call and even a website screen to lure most anyone to take a chance. I like to look, touch and feel the stuff before I pluck down my hard earned beans.
In some circles I'm called crazy, but I drove to New Mexico and back from NYC just to look and feel my fenders before I dropped my money down in another hand. I know not everyone has the time to do such a drive so all due respect to those who purchase on a prayer, but some of these companies thrive on the fact that most will not complain once they receive the merchandise.
In my case, If they were bad or fake, I would have just as easily driven back with an empty interior. They were the real deal and in perfect shape and shipped under my own arm to avoid bad or expensive crating, delays and damage.
Honestly fellas, this thread is helping my friend make a solid decision one way or the other, so thank you in return for all the info.

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't know AAR was around since the 70's. They are the ones with the best looking and functioning glass pieces so far.

Yes, I saw with my very own eyes some really crappy stuff made in glass and wondered who would buy such crap. I wouldn't take it for free. I guess there's a lot BS behind a phone call and even a website screen to lure most anyone to take a chance. I like to look, touch and feel the stuff before I pluck down my hard earned beans.
In some circles I'm called crazy, but I drove to New Mexico and back from NYC just to look and feel my fenders before I dropped my money down in another hand. I know not everyone has the time to do such a drive so all due respect to those who purchase on a prayer, but some of these companies thrive on the fact that most will not complain once they receive the merchandise.
In my case, If they were bad or fake, I would have just as easily driven back with an empty interior. They were the real deal and in perfect shape and shipped under my own arm to avoid bad or expensive crating, delays and damage.
Honestly fellas, this thread is helping my friend make a solid decision one way or the other, so thank you in return for all the info.
Well, their website says they started in the 80's. I moved out of my old place in 84 and already had some of their products before that move so maybe they started in in 1980 or 81? I'm just going by what I was working on back then and was working on a 70 340 Challenger for drag racing and collecting parts. I got that car around 76-77 and started working on it in 78 once it was stripped down.

From my experience, digging deep into old posts and conversation with a few at that time, (in the case with the crook that stung me) it seems that the further away the product shipped the worse the piece could be. In my case over the northern border I’m sure what got shipped to me was pulled back off the scraps pile boxed up and sent. ;) I’m way over it and now it’s just a good story that comes up. Still got pictures of the crap! Hell I even had to build a jig using my steel hood for shape and contour so that when I laid that flimsy thing on top it would take the proper shape so that I could glass in reinforcement on the bottom side. Buyer beware.

From my experience, digging deep into old posts and conversation with a few at that time, (in the case with the crook that stung me) it seems that the further away the product shipped the worse the piece could be. In my case over the northern border I’m sure what got shipped to me was pulled back off the scraps pile boxed up and sent. ;) I’m way over it and now it’s just a good story that comes up. Still got pictures of the crap! Hell I even had to build a jig using my steel hood for shape and contour so that when I laid that flimsy thing on top it would take the proper shape so that I could glass in reinforcement on the bottom side. Buyer beware.
From AAR or from Larry? Had asked when you got the lousy crap from him earlier in the thread. The AAR stuff I had years ago was great.

Auto Transport Service
Back