• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

worked out my gas tank venting

benno440

Local time
3:02 AM
Reaction score
when i bought car (68 charger) it had a line going from the vent line on the fuel pickup unit upto the fuel filler neck and had a non vented gas cap ( probably why i was having fuel issues because it was not venting at all)

just had a look at the workshop manual and it turns out it has a later 69 style fuel pickup and that i need to block that vent outlet on the pickup and then put a line off the fuel filler neck which runs down the filler neck through trunk floor and vents to atmosphere.

so my questions are what would be best way to block that extra vent line on sender off with and also for the vent line that runs out to atmosphere would it be a good idea to put a filter of some sort on it? it does run down so should have no problem picking up crap

So you want to block a vent line and them make a vent line. Read that sentence about ten times.

yes block the incorrect one and put a line on the correct one, get my drift haha

the 1968 charger manual

- - - Updated - - -

as i said it has a 69 pickup unit in it and i have a 68 filler neck so one has to be blocked off (be easier if it was anyway) 68 only had 1 vent line and it was at the top of the filler neck and ran down through trunk floor to atmosphere, they did not have vented gas caps

I just don't see how blockin a vent that's already there that you could USE and makin a whole nuther vent is easier than using one that's already there. It befuddles me how you seem to make everything harder to do than it is. Does the 68 Charger service manual tell you to run that fuel pump you don't even need? I just don't get it. I mean, I would be done with all those little pesky problems and be drivin that thing by now and you're goin around your butthole to get to your elbow. I don't understand. But you know.....it's not for me to understand. Have at it.

Why not just run the vent on the sender to the vent line from the trunk ? I may be wrong but originally didn't the sender vent run up front to a canister ?

Why not just run the vent on the sender to the vent line from the trunk ? I may be wrong but originally didn't the sender vent run up front to a canister ?

Yup it did. You hit the nail on the head. My whole point exactly.

My 68 doesn't have any vents on the filler neck.
headscratch.gif

My 65 Valiant did. It had a nipple on the filler neck with a short rubber hose attaching a vent line that ran down through the filler neck gasket and simply vented under the car. It doesn't make a hill of beans where the vent is located though, as long as it has one, because the result is the same.......unless of course the vent is below the fuel level. Then you could call it a leak. lol

I said nipple. heh heh heh huh huh huh

I just don't see how blockin a vent that's already there that you could USE and makin a whole nuther vent is easier than using one that's already there. It befuddles me how you seem to make everything harder to do than it is. Does the 68 Charger service manual tell you to run that fuel pump you don't even need? I just don't get it. I mean, I would be done with all those little pesky problems and be drivin that thing by now and you're goin around your butthole to get to your elbow. I don't understand. But you know.....it's not for me to understand. Have at it.

your not understanding me mate, there is 2 vents there already i am not making a new one. i only need 1 vent and it would be easier to use the correct one so i have to block the incorrect one off.
Car did not come with a electric one either.

- - - Updated - - -

My 65 Valiant did. It had a nipple on the filler neck with a short rubber hose attaching a vent line that ran down through the filler neck gasket and simply vented under the car. It doesn't make a hill of beans where the vent is located though, as long as it has one, because the result is the same.......unless of course the vent is below the fuel level. Then you could call it a leak. lol

I said nipple. heh heh heh huh huh huh

that is the exact same vent as the one on mine rusty and is what i have been trying to say and is the one i am going to use. i simply asked 2 questions in my original post i did not ask which vent is correct because i know which one is correct as i see it in the manual

- - - Updated - - -

My 68 doesn't have any vents on the filler neck.
headscratch.gif

might be a late build in 68 car as the early build did have them

- - - Updated - - -

my car never had a canister, running a line from sender up to nipple on filler will not be a vent if you dont have a vented gas cap as both ends of the line are connected to pressure in tank. running a line from nipple through trunk floor to atmosphere is the correct way for my car.

This is the first time you've ever said you HAD the vent. Up to this point, I was assuming you were going to block the one that was already there and MAKE another one. That's why it was not makin sense.

This is the first time you've ever said you HAD the vent. Up to this point, I was assuming you were going to block the one that was already there and MAKE another one. That's why it was not makin sense.

sorry if it did not make perfect sense but i was on the right track "when i bought car (68 charger) it had a line going from the vent line on the fuel pickup unit upto the fuel filler neck and had a non vented gas cap ( probably why i was having fuel issues because it was not venting at all)"

- - - Updated - - -

so i am going to use the correct vent thats has the nipple on the filler neck.(this hose runs from ipple through trunk floor to atmosphere), would you recommend putting some sort of filter on the end of it to stop crap from going up the tube?

also what would you recommend to block off incorrect vent that is on the pickup unit? maybe bit of hose looped and zip tied? or get a proper block off an fitting?

A tight fitting vacuum cap with a zip tie around it should be sufficient.

Gotta be a charger thing with that long fuel filler tube,my 68 GTX has the vent to the line up in the trunk and a 2nd one that hooks to a short steel line that vents under the car.Nothing on the filler tube.

Auto Transport Service
Back