• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would I be further ahead to start over?

Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score
I am piecing together a 6.4 hemi to put into a 68 charger. I would like to build kind of a rowdy engine, big cam and so on.

With the 6.4 I keep running into problems like the lack of cams, pistons, etc. Would I be further ahead to find a 6.1 block?

At least with them I can run a msd6 if I want, cams are no problem, no vvt, etc. Also the timing chains look stronger to me.

I bought a 6.4 short block because I read they were stronger. In your guy's opinion, should I just go for a 6.1?

In an ideal world my car would make 650 hp on a good day.

Thanks!

I did not realize there was such a significant difference between a 6.4 and a 6.1?
I would've thought that the camshafts would've been interchangeable? I take it you have talked to a few of the big engine builders like Indy or Ray Barton?
Pat

Hey Pat!

Yeay, I guess there are a lot of differences. There is quite a bit of monkeying around needed, and if the 6.1 will handle the abuse, might as well go with it.

Anyone want to buy a new 6.4 short block? LOL The school will probably sell this one if we can find a better alternative.

It's not that much different. The 6.4 is a vvt motor. In the hemi world there are not a lot of VVT cams yet. There are things like cam lock outs that will allow you to run a bigger cam. Modern Muscle has all kinds of stuff for them. I can help you put something together if you want.

LX Modguy- Thanks for the reply. If you have a second, listen to this:

I was surfing the net yesterday, and found a new 6.1 block, 6.1 heads, and associated parts about 60 miles from me. Jumped in the car and brought it home last night.

Now I am sitting on a new 6.4 short block and a new 6.1 bare block. I will need to sell one and build one.

I have been worried about the 6.4 timing chain- It looks very weak to me but others say it's fine- what is your opinion?

Thanks! Also pm on the way-

- - - Updated - - -

LX- your pm box is full

i think we can probably work something out to get that 6.1 built for you. pm me

Nice find! I'm looking all over to get my hands on a 6.1 engine to put in my 69 roadrunner, but here in Sweden it's impossible and I've not gotten that much replies to my WTB Post as I'd expected :)

Auto Transport Service
Back