• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I would like to be wrong on this 67 Coronet...

fesser

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:02 PM
Reaction score
There is a car posted on several Mopar related facebook groups, for sale in Texas. Ad claims it is a 67 Coronet R/T. Build sheet picture shows WS23. Seller states VIN on car matches and that fender tag is still there although there aren't any pictures of those (that I have seen anyway). The problem is the car is badged as a 500, and does not have any outward signs of being an R/T. No badges, no R/T hood. In one of the comments the seller said it was a dual badged car or something like that. I know Chevy did that all the time (RS/SS), and I know the later Mopars did some weird stuff, but I have always believed that an R/T of this vintage was an R/T, plain and simple. The car is likely too far from me to be a feasible purchase, but part of me would sell my 68 R/T project to get into a 67 R/T. Any chance this 500 is really an R/T or is it possibly just a VIN/Tag switch that was done a long time ago. For those with FB I am attaching the link to the page (or at least trying to).

Facebook
1694707453711.png

1694707546232.png

It has the R/T grille center.

...and no lower body side molding that a 500 would have had

but

you can see peeling bondo in that exact area

and

there appear to be no holes for the quarter panel R/T emblems.

Looks like it had the hood scoop. By all outward appearances, I'd say it is an RT.
Someone likely stole the emblems, then put on a 500 tail panel.
The quick check would be if it had a the 500 side trim holes filled.

Good catch on the hood scoop shaded area.

500 rear wheel opening trim may have been integrated with the body side trim.

..and if it was, the OP car doesn't have that.

If you're interested, ask for a pic of the VIN. Be sure to say "on the car" not the title.

Did the RT’s have fender mounted turn signals?

500 rear wheel opening trim may have been integrated with the body side trim.
There we go. Yes the 500 did not have separate wheel lip moldings, nor the rocker panel trim.

No engine in the car but he has a 67 440 hp that goes with it. Interior shows column shift, no console, AC, and headrests. I think for my sanity that it is a good thing that I am going off grid tomorrow for about a week, taking my rifle camping. Or I might spend too much time dwelling on buying another car sight unseen. So it sounds like it is more probably an R/T and not a 500.

I have never seen an R/T with fender mounted turn indicators. They were standard equipment on 500's. However the lights on the car do not look like Coronet ones. More like Plymouth bullets. Coronet ones were flatter and mounted more forward in the middle of the fender. It has an R/T grill centre piece on a 500 grill with factory black-out. Has R/T wheel well and sill moldings. Why would anyone try to disguise an R/T as a 500? Most people go the other way; making an R/T out of a 500.

Fender turn indicators not available on 67 R/T. Yes they look like plymouth bullets.

It has the correct wheel well trim and rocker trim.

The pinstripe looks like it is in the correct place and with angled ends like factory. But that paint color is oddball.

There is no dual model RT 500. Separate models. More like someone fishing for a sucker. Or have no clue what they are selling.

First is get photos of fender tag, broadcast sheet, and vin tag and post we can decipher them. Then you will need photos of the body stamps.

Last edited:
1694714428938.png

Seller's Description​

1967 coronet RT, non matching 67 HP 440, 727, 915 HP heads, one year only HP exhaust manifolds. Green with white parchment vinyl top and black interior. Bucket seats with buddy seat, column shift auto, electric windows, drum brakes, sure grip 8 3/4 3.91gear. Build sheet and title. Comes with a 1966 coronet 500 parts car and extra 500/R/T parts. $13,000.00. OBO

The description above is from the ad, not mine.

I am not sure if I am breaking some secret internet rules by posting the stuff above from the gentleman's ad. I am not trying to mess with his sale, the opposite actually. If he was within a couple of hundred miles of me I would be looking at the car in person. I consider this an opportunity to learn more about these cars.

Here’s a 67 RT untouched I believe, been sitting for awhile in my neighborhood. Got the rocker trim and wheel well trim.
IMG_7320.png

If this is build sheet from the car in the ad, it shows WS23L7, which is 1967 Coronet R/T with 440. Green with black bucket seat interior.

If this is build sheet from the car in the ad, it shows WS23L7, which is 1967 Coronet R/T with 440. Green with black bucket seat interior.
That matches. Check out the door jamb paint.
1694721518464.png

Auto Transport Service
Back