• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WOW, blown up car parts!

goose69

Local time
9:00 AM
Reaction score
Seen this done in Car Craft recently and thought, what the heck, it might make a fun thread.
Let's see what kind of "Blown up and mangled" car parts we can come up with and the stories that go with them!!
This has GOT to get good and fun!
I'm attaching a pic of a piston out of my 383 in my '69 Roadrunner. This happened 1 day when my buddy and I headed out of Portland, Or across the bridge into Washington. About a half a 1/4 mile from the bridge a 1969 Chevelle pulled up next to me and proceeded to do a few lunges to edge me into a race. Well, I took the bait and we dropped a gear and put the petals to the floorboards, at least I did. I spun that 383 up to about 6800 RPM and grabbed 3rd while that guy struggled to keep his front bumper ahead of mine, of which he was failing miserably at. Well at the 6400 RPM mark I was able to see the Chevelle's headlights out of my door window. I figured at that point the flogging had been enough for him so I let off. He waved and and I continued down the highway quite proud of myself and my car.
While cruising at approximately 3000 RPM I heard a "ting ting ting" noise. At that moment I thought to myself, "did I leave that wrench on my inner fender and it just fell off? Weird". Not so much. This is when the trouble started. It began like a fouled plug, which this motor did often in #6 cyl. We figured we'd switch it out when we got to our destination in a couple miles. We made it there but it sounded worse & the plug was indeed shot. Changing it didn't help either........... better head home now! Being the age of 20 we didn't have "AAA" to tow it or $ for the wrecker so to home we went, about 38 miles away.
The Bird made it down the highway quite a ways before it really started showing signs of maybe not making it. Lots of stuttering and smoke started appearing out the back of the car, hmmmm not good. Well better put the petal down farther ha? Yep! About 7 miles away from the house I noticed in the rear view mirror there was a nasty bank of clouds that blanketed the road, well actually that ended up being the smoke coming out of the back of the car. No joke this looked like the best James Bond smokescreen I'd ever seen in my life. We couldn't see ANY cars behind us. Reminded us of the Cheech & Chong movie we'd seen the previous weekend, you guys know which one that was!! Well this meant 1 thing, better stop for more oil because it's ALL going out the tailpipes. Stopping at the AM/PM gas station my buddy jumped out and got a quart of oil, popped the breather and tried to put some of it in. With all the blow by it simply dispersed it accrossed the motor, inner fenders and firewall. He yells at me that not much made it into the motor and asked if he should get another quart. I told him "hell no! Just get in and let's get this thing home!" We made it home with enough power out of the motor to pull it up to the garage.
Of course we HAD to know what went wrong, so we tore into it that night to find that a valve had snapped at the stem and bounced around in the cylinder looking for a way out and eventually finding one in the way of a hole in the top of the piston.
Lesson learned? It's worth the cost of a motor to send another Chevy guy home crying to Mamma!
Well that's my story, let's hear all of yours!! 100_1509.jpg

haha..I can't wait to see more CARNAGE on this thread!! I wish I had a pic of my old Ford 9" Nodular rear end that I blew IN HALF!

Time to dig into my "broken parts" box and see what I can find. I've kept a couple examples of "metal fatigue induced by owner" and stories to go with them.

This thread has great potential;can't wait to see what the race crowd has to offer.

Time to dig into my "broken parts" box and see what I can find. I've kept a couple examples of "metal fatigue induced by owner" and stories to go with them.

This thread has great potential;can't wait to see what the race crowd has to offer.

Absolutley Al, it may turn out to be the longest thread in forum history.

In Manitoba there was a guy that was selling a 71 gtx low # production -He had a ujoint failure and it came right through the hump next to the driver
He still wanted too much for it at the time - non number matching 15k
Wish I had a picture of when it happened-

Hopefully we can steer the racer guys this direction and see what they have.

Slant 6 in junkyard....
P1030655.jpg

Not it's only problem....
P1030659.jpg

One of the CAT engines at work....
P8101898.jpg

Airplane OOPS..
post-577-11821987761.jpg

Interference fit engine....

PA161325.jpg

PA161326.jpg

I'll bite.

This set me back. $13,300.00

Attachments

• 588 wedge carnage 009.JPG
    588 wedge carnage 009.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 1,043
  • 588 wedge carnage 003.JPG
    588 wedge carnage 003.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 1,061
  • 588 wedge carnage 001.JPG
    588 wedge carnage 001.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 1,057
  • 588 wedge carnage 006.JPG
    588 wedge carnage 006.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 1,027
  • 588 wedge carnage 005.JPG
    588 wedge carnage 005.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,035
Im sure you wanted to upgrade anyways SSR but may I be the first to say, ouch!

superstockracer, That was some awesome runs on the videos!

Slant 6 in junkyard....
P1030655.jpg

Not it's only problem....
P1030659.jpg

One of the CAT engines at work....
P8101898.jpg

Airplane OOPS..
post-577-11821987761.jpg

Interference fit engine....

PA161325.jpg

PA161326.jpg

I had a buddy with a slant 6 like that except the hole was more toward the center and He drove it for a week like that!!! Yep, I saw it first hand. It shook like crazy because it might have been out of balance a bit :rolling:

I put a new 9inch trac loc LSD diff head in my 65 fastback otherbrand with 347 crate and tremac…..
A couple of quarter milers and oops…
Ripped the spring carrier mount right off the diff..
The old girl drove sideways on the way home..
There is nothing that time and money doesn't sort out

I hope this isn't all we're gonna see of people's mangled car parts.

Does anyone have some cool shots of maybe crankshafts comming out of bottom of motors at launching pads? Always thought that was a cool but painfull picture to look at.

Let me check my archives:eusa_boohoo:

Roller lifter failure:munky2:

Attachments

• 117-1731_IMG.JPG
    117-1731_IMG.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 839
  • 117-1735_IMG.JPG
    117-1735_IMG.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 839
  • 117-1703_IMG.JPG
    117-1703_IMG.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 879
  • 117-1718_IMG.JPG
    117-1718_IMG.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 855
  • 113-1386_IMG.jpg
    113-1386_IMG.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 857
That boost motor has more schrapnal than our local scrap yard, OUCH!

I'm sad to see there aren't anymore people wanting to share their photos and stories.

Auto Transport Service
Back