• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your opinion on Patina?

I like seeing real non re-touched patina on 50’s 60’s pick up trucks

I like seeing real non re-touched patina on 50’s 60’s pick up trucks
Pickup trucks certainly carry better. Hell, most are natural. The marriage of them and Hot Rod made "Rat Rod"

But B-bodies? I'm just not feeing it.

JMO.

Here’s how I see it. Things were shifting from kids having fun with what money they had, to let’s spend a bunch of money for perfection. David Freiberger did a great job of letting us know it’s ok for your car to not look absolutely perfect and flawless. It’s ok if you don’t have the money for paint, it’s ok if you don’t have the money for flawlessness. It’s ok to spend your money to make it run, and who cares how it looks.

And then I guess the big money lawn chair warriors got jealous at how much fun the low buck guys were having and they started the whole “patina” thing, find a rusty car, clear coat it, spend a ton of money it, ruin the fun.

I let that R/T get away about 15 years ago........it never occurred to me to do some structural repair and run it like that; damn, I was stupid :BangHead:

I'll post it again, because I deserve to see it :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

yes, a stripe delte R/T........ PW and cruise :cursin::cursin::cursin:

69rt_zpsf4c1ca77.jpg

Some would say ooh that needs $xxxxxxx, it needs paint, it needs this, it needs that, so much

But really, make sure the mechanicals are good and safe and drive the heck out of it!

I think it depends on the car.
Picture something odd, like a 1984 Olds 98 Coupe.
Picture one in shiny mint condition with that like brown/brassy color paint GM used in the 80's, shiny chrome, shiny wheels...
Now picture that car in light blue with chalk for paint.
One is a classy old car and one is a beater with a heater.

To me muscle cars can go either way. I generally don't care if it looks rough if it sounds like it goes 200mph and does awesome burnouts.
But then I don't care how many doors it has either.
The difference is some muscle cars I like in any state, some are "worth" painting but don;t have to, and some are not "worth" painting up, but still don't have to anyway.

Looks great now, but honestly it looked good enough before
I put it off for over 15 years and same with the motor, thing ran so nice kept thinking I'll do it next year and the next, just doing some things to it, '65 rear, el ignition, 4bbl, duals, new leafs, did the interior. But there were a couple bad spots on the body hidden well that needed new metal - 6-inch section left rear quarter mid-level where the trim lays, part of the trunk pan under the spare, and a section on the rocker.

I appreciate the work that goes into the pretty ones. But I walk right by alot if them at shows. Ill stop and look at the battle scared cars all day long. That being said I don’t care for, let’s paint it and then patina it. Unless maybe you were trying to match 1 or 2 panels. I like the fact I can park in any spot at the store or a show. I dont welcome door dings and such. But if someone wants to paw all over my car so be it. No harm.

Original paint patina from exposure in the desert southwest is ok to me, but there comes a time to respray and return the beauty. It doesn't have to be a show car quality repaint.

Original patina around here in Georgia means rust and crust. It's always humid here and summertime storms means torrential rainfalls and a high water table. All that to say use indoor storage and keeping it waxed is important. Take care of your car!

I like @Kern Dog Jigsaw Charger, but I don't consider it "patina". Jigsaw reminds me of what I used to admire in the 1970s. Namely, a respectable "work in progress" that is eventually repainted.

I wonder if any vinyl companies make a wrap of simulated patina? That could be interesting, but why bother?

Whatever floats your boat, but it isn't for me.

Last edited:
I love Patina. Original Paint(Bright Red) patina’d to an almost Hemi Orange. Added flat black to hood and deck lid.

It will stay as is.
8B59ED83-A2EB-47B3-A074-97B77C61B730.jpeg
D771682C-B254-46F8-A663-8EC7CD057BEE.jpeg
E6E8065F-796E-451E-9601-F084C6DB799C.jpeg
BCC7C256-B29F-417D-A8BE-AAE1CE0768CE.jpeg

Do you want patina? Look at that panel wagon I saw for sale out by the ranch.

I'm cool with legit patina, as long as it's not covered with glossy clear coat. Especially with reasonably straight and rust free sheetmetal. I can count on one hand the number of authentic looking fake patina jobs I've ever seen, so I'm generally not a fan.

One of my best friends put together a couple of patina cars by leaving the body as untouched as possible and spending his money on the driveline and interior instead. We hang out at a lot, it's amazing how folks are drawn to those cars. I think it's because they represent something more attainable. I've watched a lot of people walk right past really nice cars to check out the patina cars.

it's amazing how folks are drawn to those cars. I've watched a lot of people walk right past really nice cars to check out the patina cars.
I had both of my cars at a show a few months ago and Jigsaw got far more attention.

IMG_3854.JPG

IMG_3855.JPG

My best guess as to why was that maybe people could relate more to the project car than a finished one. Jigsaw looks like how many of us find these cars...Multi colored with primer spots, vinyl top peeled away, stock steel wheels and a farm fresh vibe to it.
It isn't fake. The car is as ratty in person as it appears. No way in heck would I prime it either through a paint gun or rattle can. I don't like the look of primer cars.

My last car was a 69 Charger and had a colour change back in the 70's some time after a quarter panel bo bo fix
Then it ended up as a university student car as it had the parking sticker still in the back window
I never fixed the body as it kind of told the story of how it got to where it was now
That car was a lot of fun when you did not care so much about the paint
Went to the burger places and sat on the front fender eating lunch
Will never do that with a fancy paint car

I am now building a 70 Charger with the fancy paint
That will be a whole different world

Still think I would like to find a second car that I can jump into with my grubby cloths on to go grab lunch in and not be worried about it

One of the cars I was talking about in my previous post. Straight, super solid with nice trim and mostly original paint. It was a poly 318 car that now sports a fresh 426 Max Wedge / 4 speed drivetrain and rebuilt suspension, steering and brakes. It's a fun car that he can drive anywhere...

IMG_9372.JPG

IMG_9371.JPG

I don't like beat cars Actual patina is okay on a non-beat vehicle. Fake Patina is laughable. I was way ahead of the curve on my Road Runner edition (383x3.55) D100. Mopar guys just didn't get it at the time. I think it comes off better on trucks than cars as well.

DSC02011.JPG

I had both of my cars at a show a few months ago and Jigsaw got far more attention.

View attachment 1550676
View attachment 1550677

My best guess as to why was that maybe people could relate more to the project car than a finished one. Jigsaw looks like how many of us find these cars...Multi colored with primer spots, vinyl top peeled away, stock steel wheels and a farm fresh vibe to it.
It isn't fake. The car is as ratty in person as it appears. No way in heck would I prime it either through a paint gun or rattle can. I don't like the look of primer cars.
Jigsaw
:thumbsup:

I revised my post above! (Jigsaw, not Patches)

Auto Transport Service
Back