• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

zinc additive anyone use Rislone?

At least in the dura-lube shows( anyone remember those?) They ground a piece of bearing on a big spinney wheel and you could see the difference :rolleyes:

Maybe. He added the zddp to a plain base oil. The theory has been that it needs to be formulated, but just pouring the additive in and using a mixer showed the oil increase in zddp. Furthermore, the small additive amount ratio worked as expected with zddp levels.
No doubt it helped; I didn't say anything to the contrary, only that additives are best applied if they are
formulated/engineered to be part of the product to begin with - because science stuff, I guess.

Rislone is adding zinc and phosphorus as the product claims.
Rislone has a good reputation for many a year now. No surprise they did a good job with this additive also.

Marvel mystery oil is a great product, but it's not really intended to be a oil additive at every change. It's to clean a neglected motor or reviving a motor from an extended slumber.
Yep, Marvel was originally a "valve top oil" if I remember their history correctly. It does amazing things to unstick valves and
lifters and such. I've seen it perform "miracles"; I'm sure some others here have as well.

Same for Seafoam. It's a great product in the crankcase maybe once in the motor's entire life to remove sludge. Seafoam is actually intended to be a fuel treatment as it's primary purpose.
Again, correct. Remember when it was all the rage for the kids to suck it up into the intake to make smoke shows?
They thought it was performing miracles in their hoopties - and it may have been.

Watching the video again it seems the intention is to prove there's a corner case that each additive has a disadvantage.

Very interesting that additives have no classification or standard to adhere to, or even evidence to back up claims.

Still, the video doesn't clearly show the "snake oil" versus the product claims. For example, Rislone claims "Makes Newer Oils Work in Older Engines". If that means increasing zinc and phosphorus than the product can't be "snake oil".

If a product "reduces wear" as it's only claim then what chemicals provided that improvement? That could be "snake oil" by the assume claims.

Too much apples and oranges in the test.

Seems pretty straight forward and obvious to me.

His point about the cost of oil additives compared to motor oil was the biggest headline to me.

Auto Transport Service
Back