1963 Plymouth- cleaning convertible top hydralic system.

General Mopar Tech Discussions

1. potze426

potze426 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    5:52 AM
    I have a 1963 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible. I am at the point of reinstalling my power top system. (hydraulic hoses, top cylinders, and pump.) I want to flush or (clean) the hoses, cylinders, and pump reservoir. What kind of solution can I use without damaging anything. Also, should I use automatic transmission oil or hydraulic fluid. And last but not least, what is the procedure to charge the system. This information would be so helpful. Thanks, Tom.

2. PurpleBeeper

PurpleBeeper Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    At least on my '70 the manual calls for "Type A" transmission fluid. I'm using Dex/Merc transmission fluid. To flush, I guess just change the fluid out a few times...hope your carpet isn't in. From memory, you fill the pump/reservoir to the top of the fill plug, run the top up & down several times & repeat until bubbles are gone.

3. potze426

Local Time:
    PurpleBeeper I am so grateful that you would take the time to help me through this. I have restored 3 cars so far and this one is the first convertible. The system is out of the car, so I don't have to worry about the carpet. One question. After I fill the reservoir to the top of the fill plug and run the top up and down, is it at this point the next step would be to crack the fill plug to check for bubbles? (air) and if you get no bubbles, just oil, then your good to go?

4. coloradodave

coloradodave FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

My Photo Garage
    Local Time:
    3:52 AM
  5. potze426

Local Time:
    coloradodave, Thanks for taking the time to answer this post. This will be a great help. Thanks again. Tom.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1